What will happen on September 5, 2020?

What will happen on September 5, 2020?

• We will play South Dakota with 60,500 fans in the stands and full tailgating lots.

Votes: 56 24.2%
  • We will play South Dakota with 30,000 fans in the stands and half full tailgating lots.

Votes: 110 47.6%
  • We will play South Dakota and everyone will be watching on TV

Votes: 50 21.6%
  • We will not play South Dakota on September 5, 2020

Votes: 15 6.5%

• Total voters

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I don't know that spring is going to help. If we see a second wave, I don't see that ending until it gets warm again similar to the flu. So maybe we start in April at best? Is that enough time to get a season in?

In november I will have to wear a rain coat over my winter coat if I'm in my regular seats. Have a couple guys who drink way too much (one fell down just standing up last year) and spit terribly while yelling their f-bombs who sit each of the two rows behind me.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
I think we will play with no restrictions on the amount of fans attending but I don’t think they will allow tailgating this year.
Makes more sense to be outside in the sun tailgating than gathering up in a bar before the game so hopefully this will not be the case.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
NDSU, Toledo, UNLV, and history says otherwise

Huge difference between South Dakota and those schools - two of which are FBS.

OU beat South Dakota 70-14 last year.

UNI best South Dakota 42-27 last year.

Having said all that, we probably struggle.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I think we will have fans, but it might be in the 20-25k range. Will be interested if seats are added in the current field area to pick up capacity. Also hillside.

I would expect fans will have to wear masks. I could see some adjustment to tailgating. Also foods available from concession area adjusted. Maybe a lot of concession hawkers, so people don't need to stand in lines.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
How will the student section be handled? They pack an unearthly amount in there. Would think you would still have a decent turn out from them and that would be a distancing problem. If my family is allowed to go, we will be there in masks, gloves, whatever it takes to be there.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Huge difference between South Dakota and those schools - two of which are FBS.

OU beat South Dakota 70-14 last year.

UNI best South Dakota 42-27 last year.

Having said all that, we probably struggle.

USD is an emerging program. Players should not take them lightly. Last year or twos results are not indicitive of what they will be in 2020 and the near future

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Tailgating is an interesting question. It’s possible to implement things in the stadium that keep separation between easier than it is in a parking lot where people can just walk everywhere. I also don’t know how you stop it.

I’m assuming I’ll be in the stands for the game but it’ll be less full that it would have been. I also think tailgating will be different but not sure how.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
South Dakotans have been lenient with close downs. They will be wanting football as bad as we do. Any seats not grabbed by Iowa State fans will be filled with a Coyote

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Add in that ISU under CMC starts slow and at times is a work in progress.

A physically fundamentally sound approach would be appreciated.

One of the things I dislike about CMC is that he plays every team close generally. But one of the things I like about CMC is that we never get blown out generally too... we're in every game.

That's one area where CMC reminds me of KF.

But yes, the South Dakota game will probably be MUCH closer than any ISU fan will want it to be. It's just too predictable. ISU starts way too slow every year, and has always allowed teams to stay in games they shouldn't.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Even if there is full crowd allowed, there’s no way it will be full capacity. Way too many will feel it best not to be there.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
30-45K fans. Elderly/compromised fans stay home. 70% of normal tailgaters. Most people will wear their facemasks.

Game? ISU always start seasons slowly, especially true under Campbell. ISU 24 USD 17. Sloppy game/play all around. Defenses dominate. Pick 6 or FF/FR TD by ISU defense is the difference.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Pollard is already building his case for limited liability. He talked on the Cyclone Virtual Tailgate Tour about making reasonable efforts for mitigation. Thus, the risk is entirely on those who attend (look for new verbiage on the backs of the tickets and stadium signs).

Spacing people out is unmanageable unless they have 1 usher for every 3 fans (and even then what is the usher going to do). If they go with 50% capacity, it will be on the fans to come early/late and sit in open areas if they want to further minimize their risk.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
South Dakotans have been lenient with close downs. They will be wanting football as bad as we do. Any seats not grabbed by Iowa State fans will be filled with a Coyote

They only draw 5000 a game for their home games. :rolleyes:

Not expecting a yuge road trip from South Dakota peeps.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
safest place in the stadium is probably the very top row. Nobody anywhere behind you coughing and sneezing on you.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I think this fall will be business as usual.

If stadiums aren’t full, I think it will be because some people aren’t comfortable with it yet.

And that’s okay, to each their own.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
They will play the games and come up with a bunch of nonsense rules to make folks feel like they are trying to do something. However, people will come out and tailgate and have a blast. Others will stay home and complain about those out having a blast and so on.

the game will be way closer than it should be. We will barely win and complain about the play calling

Help Support Us

Become a patron