What Was Your High School Mascot?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Alswelk

Slightly Radioactive
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 5, 2006
Albuquerque, NM
We used to be the Aces and (after we consolidated with the weirdos up the road) we became the Cougars.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I like the ones that are uncommon mascots. Glad my school was not called Hawks and that our colors weren't black and gold.

Then you'd love the mascot of TE Alex Leslie. The New Braunfels (TX) Unicorns.

2011_Unicorns_large.jpg

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
Midgets -- Estherville? I think I saw a reference later in the thread.

So -- if same conference, would Indians be Spirit Lake? Also, I notice discussion of Sheldon Orabs in this thread -- Is that conference still intact?

Haven't lived in Iowa for a while, so a little out of touch -- but remember a few members --- Cherokee Braves, Sibley Generals, Emmetsburg E-Hawks, et. al. If memory is reliable ...

I think it's still intact. Some schools jump between AA and AAA every year it seems, Estherville in particular. When I was there ('00 - '04) we were AAA and played Spirit Lake, Spencer, Algona, LeMars, Storm Lake, MOC, and maybe Humboldt? It was called the Great Lakes Conference. When Estherville played in AA I remember playing against Emmetsburg, Sibley, Cherokee, etc.

It was a very un-PC area for mascots, with the Spirit Lake Indians and the Okoboji Pioneers on the site of an old Indian massacre, the ELC Midgets, the Cherokee Braves, and so on.

Edit:
I had to look it up. Looks like the teams all got split into several other conferences now. ELC's AA conference is:
Spirit Lake
South Central Calhoun
Garner-Hayfield/Ventura
Clarion-Goldfield
Forest City
Estherville Lincoln Central
East Sac County

Spencer, LeMars, and Storm Lake are still AAA, but it looks like they're paired with schools further towards Sioux City. Sheldon, Cherokee, and MOC are AA, but also in a conference further towards Sioux City.

Last edited:

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Little Cyclones

Ames High Aims High!

Or as our competitors would say, "Ames Hight gets High"

we always called other schools:

Urbandale - scurvandale
Ankeny - skankeny (funny how I live there now)
Newton - Screwton
Fort Dodge - Fort Trash
Mason City - Mason ****-ty

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Raiders. The Native American kind. For years we had this giant picture of an Indian in war paint wielding a tomahawk hanging in our gym that would have made Dan Snyder blush. The school changed the mascot to the Cougars when they became AGWSR in 2000.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Never went there, but I was told by an old-timer that teams at the school in the little town of Fairport IA (on the Mississippi between Muscatine and Davenport) had the misfortune to be the Fairport Fairies.

Of course that was over by the 50's and back then Fairies didn't have the same connotation it later had.

Back when I used to travel more in SE Iowa - whenever I passed through there I always imagined the little town of Argyle IA just had to have been the Argyle Sox.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Little Cyclones

Ames High Aims High!

Or as our competitors would say, "Ames Hight gets High"

we always called other schools:

Urbandale - scurvandale
Ankeny - skankeny (funny how I live there now)
Newton - Screwton
Fort Dodge - Fort Trash
Mason City - Mason ****-ty

I've always just called it the Dirty Dodge.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
West Warriors, complete with Chief Wahoo mascot.

Formerly the West High Bars (for "black and reds," though another obvious meaning was more relevant than the school colors).

Across town, East High is still the E-Rabs ("red and blacks").

Freeport Pretzels were in our conference.