What Was Your High School Mascot?

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Indians.

We had a school in our conference that was (still is) the Midgets.

Midgets -- Estherville? I think I saw a reference later in the thread.

So -- if same conference, would Indians be Spirit Lake? Also, I notice discussion of Sheldon Orabs in this thread -- Is that conference still intact?

Haven't lived in Iowa for a while, so a little out of touch -- but remember a few members --- Cherokee Braves, Sibley Generals, Emmetsburg E-Hawks, et. al. If memory is reliable ...

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
If we are talking about weird logo decisions, Bondurant-Farrar is the bluejays but they used to have helmets like the Michigan Wolverines. Not sure why.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Bulldogs (not Ottumwa, not Algona)

Hubby was a Lynx (out of state). Some member of the community donated a taxidermied Lynx to the district--I can't remember what building it sits in.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Maybe Fritz Crisler brought the design to Bondurant-Farrar. Crisler originally used the design at Princeton before being hired at Michigan. So Michigan wasn't the first, but certainly the most famous.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
boone has the worst nickname ever, the Toreadors. What even is a Toreador?

I'd say Boone's choice of colors is more of an issue than their nickname. I'm not sure if they're trying to get sponsored by Aqua-Fresh or just want to celebrate Christmas year-round.

IMG_1464_large.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1464_large.jpg
    IMG_1464_large.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 18

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
If anyone's ever driven through Everly, Iowa you'll know that they have a lot of pride in their former Cattlefeeders. They merged with Clay Central decades ago and there are still people who are bitter about it.