• Keep Prohm as coach and let him finish his contract

• Fire Prohm as head coach immediately and pay buyout

• Fire Prohm at end of season and pay buyout

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
June 9th, 2015?
Right now. And for the past couple years. I thought Prohm did a decent job the first couple years. Im sure i was critical of his handling of dpoy McKay, but some of that might be new coach, new rules, where Jameel didn't adapt.

Prohm maybe didnt build on the success, but he maintained it for 2 years, and then fell hard. Failed to fill the gaps hoiberg left. Rebuilt a great roster the year later, and shat the bed with them other than one weekend at the big 12 tourney. Since then we have been absolutely awful. Even when having NBA talent our offense is stagnant, we continually kill our own momentem, and struggle to inbound the ball.

Could Prohm turn things around given enough time? Maybe. But basically no program anywhere puts up with this level of results for this long.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I really feel that there is a good chance that Coach Prohm resigns after the season. Many here have commented that he'll continue on because he can't leave the money on the table. Many have also commented that he's a good guy. If you're already a rich man, why continue with the daily pressures of failure? If you're already rich, why hold a program and its fans hostage purely for the payday? That doesn't seem fun.

On the other hand, maybe its a pride thing and he feels he can turn things around. I hope that isn't the case.

when your spouse is miffed that you’re not as present as you should be with little kids and doesn’t like Ames it takes its toll. Stressful home life coupled with a really bad team = brutal. And this was all last year! It was discussed last January how the job has taken its toll on him and with wife unhappy it just makes it worse. Given how it LOOKS this season will play out I think he leaves on his own accord. If Covid didn’t happen I think there was a chance of that last year.

Reactions: ATCy

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
when your spouse is miffed that you’re not as present as you should be with little kids and doesn’t like Ames it takes its toll. Stressful home life coupled with a really bad team = brutal. And this was all last year! It was discussed last January how the job has taken its toll on him and with wife unhappy it just makes it worse. Given how it LOOKS this season will play out I think he leaves on his own accord. If Covid didn’t happen I think there was a chance of that last year.

He has a stressful home and unhappy wife? How do you know that?

Reactions: isutrevman

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
No way does WSU make that move. That’s a top level non-P6 job with the money and facilities they have. And to hire a guy that took over a Top 5 team and consistent NCAA tournament team and cratered it into the basement of the Big 12? How do you sell that to fans?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
No way does WSU make that move. That’s a top level non-P6 job with the money and facilities they have. And to hire a guy that took over a Top 5 team and consistent NCAA tournament team and cratered it into the basement of the Big 12? How do you sell that to fans?

We said the same thing about Creighton and McD and, well, it happened.

Wichita State has Prohm's old AD and his coaching mentor already on staff.

socalcy

Jun 1, 2015
Call me a Hoiberg "fanboy" I guess I just thought we could do alot better at the time. Prohm hadn't even been to the NCAA tourney in 3 years, most mid-major coaches that get jobs at Top 10 programs at the time have had either a deep run in the NCAA tourney or have been there multiple years.

He went once in 4 years with Kennedys players. I dont remember all the specifics but I think he had an NBA point guard at Murray for most of those years which makes it easy to dominate conferences like that.

Then I heard some rumblings within the first month on campus he wasn't meshing well with the players. You could tell right away things just weren't quite the same with the exact same players Hoiberg had.

The following year the team was really struggling and I think 13-9 at one point until they upset Kansas, then finally went on a nice run with 5 seniors.

2018-19 was my last straw, he somehow assembled one of the best teams in school history coupled with the worst coaching ive seen in my lifetime. It was inexcusable they lost to that Ohio St team.

The last 2 years I've completely checked out and am well past the point of apathy. Hes completely killed Hilton Magic also with all the horrible home losses. The guy just flat out can't coach at this level and would be better at a mid major or as an assistant and recruiting coordinator at a Power 5 school.
I can’t like this post as much as I want to! YES!

Reactions: exCYtable

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
True, but teams 30-64 have a drastically lower chance at making a run in March. In a covid year, why string them along? If they let say half the normal field in, 32, that would still make for a compelling post season tournament, you just would be lacking all of the Valparaiso, Loyola etc Cinderella type moments. It would be a safer alternative than inviting the full field of teams from all over the country and having them all infecting each other. And just keep the same date for end of conference season, Feb 27. Cancel conference tournaments, allow for the recommended quarantine time, and jump right into the madness.

why string them along? Because the men’s tournament funds the entire ncaa, schools need the money. Moving the tournament to 33 teams, what does that accomplish other than taking money from schools that desperately need it and ruining the tournament.

Reactions: NENick

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Being relevant wasn't my point. I was responding to how it is "poor form" to be leaking/making up anything like this with two months left in the season. My point being....when it comes to Prohm..."poor form" is the MO of those individuals.

Some people never gave him a chance. The people leaking this aren't those people because they aren't in the know.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
why string them along? Because the men’s tournament funds the entire ncaa, schools need the money. Moving the tournament to 33 teams, what does that accomplish other than taking money from schools that desperately need it and ruining the tournament.
I said 32, half the normal field. Because it's a covid year and it's safer.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

I mostly agree but with what they just went through, who knows. In FB we saw Nebraska go with Mike Riley after they fired Pelini, that was a deliberate attempt to bring in a "nice" guy because people didn't like Pelini's demeanor. That's stretch in this situation but it's honestly the only reason beyond the personal ties Prohm has that explains why they would make this move.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
WS has a culture problem with a former coach who was alleged to have physically abused at least one player...I can tell you right now, Prohm is the immediate fix for that and shows a commitment to culture shift. That's the world we live in now...so this wouldn't surprise me based on the current situation. Remember, the reflection on the coach is also a reflection on the school that allowed it to happen under its watch. More than one person is looking to save face in that institution.

Last edited:

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I mostly agree but with what they just went through, who knows. In FB we saw Nebraska go with Mike Riley after they fired Pelini, that was a deliberate attempt to bring in a "nice" guy because people didn't like Pelini's demeanor. That's stretch in this situation but it's honestly the only reason beyond the personal ties Prohm has that explains why they would make this move.

Sure, there are always exceptions to the rule but in most cases (99%?) someone with proven success is hired for a new role. And it's not like Mike Riley was god awful at Oregon State like Prohm has been at ISU the past 2 years. He had demonstrated success at a tough place like Oregon State.

I'll say that I HOPE the take Prohm off our hands but if I'm a WSU fan and that happens, I am beyond pissed at a Steve Prohm hire.

Reactions: heitclone

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
looks like it's made it to their forum...which one of you went over there and leaked it?

1611246343121.png

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Some people never gave him a chance. The people leaking this aren't those people because they aren't in the know.

So there are two factions using "poor form". Okay. I seem to remember that's how we ended up with GMAC i.e. SIDS and this site. People can say what they want about Wayne Morgan and Steve Prohm......but they both have proved/proven they can win at ISU. We don't need another lovable loser like GMAC just because they are really swell guys chalked full of integrity. Oh.....and full of excuses(Steve Prohm)why they just can't succeed at ISU. Seen that movie before......no thank you.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
So there are two factions using "poor form". Okay. I seem to remember that's how we ended up with GMAC i.e. SIDS and this site. People can say what they want about Wayne Morgan and Steve Prohm......but they both have proved/proven they can win at ISU. We don't need another lovable loser like GMAC just because they are really swell guys chalked full of integrity. Oh.....and full of excuses(Steve Prohm)why they just can't succeed at ISU. Seen that movie before......no thank you.
I'm nitpicking here, but hasnt GMAC had recruiting violations that an assistant coach took the fall for?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron