What the heck is this?

CycloneChris

Jan 28, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Looks like it might be a leaf footed bug. Generic name for a couple of different bugs.

I'm pretty sure the stink bug picture above is mis-labeled, and is actually a leaf footed bug.

Last edited:

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Looks like it might be a leaf footed bug. Generic name for a couple of different bugs.

I'm pretty sure the stink bug picture above is mis-labeled, and is actually a leaf footed bug.

You could be right...they are similar. But the pic was from the Penn State Entomology Dept.

bugs4cy

Jun 7, 2009
Story County
Stinkbug. There's lots of different types of them.

large_stinkbug01.bmp

This is NOT a stinkbug. It's in the same order (Hemiptera) as the stink bug. My guess it's a Acanthocephala terminalis, a common leaf-footed bug. A quick zoom through internet links didn't give me quick info from Iowa on it, but here's a succinct little piece on it from Arkansas.

bugs4cy

Jun 7, 2009
Story County
Speaking of stink bugs ...

There are roughly 25 states that are infested with a 'new and improved' stink bug = the brown marmorated stink bug. The are ridiculously damaging to all crops, whether it be row crops and even trees in nurseries. And, they are even top the multicolored Asian ladybeetle at getting in homes about this time of year.
:mad:

We've not found them in Iowa, yet, but are on the lookout. If you think you've got one, let the ISU Plant, Insect and Diagnostic Clinic know, or the Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship at 515-725-1470.

They have a unique coloration/pattern on the antennae and outter margin of their wings. Good pics can be seen in the following online resources -

Pennsylvania
Maryland (note the article contains more links to info)

Sorry to hijack a thread dedicated to Brety Favre in order to provide a bit of information.
:err:

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
This is NOT a stinkbug. It's in the same order (Hemiptera) as the stink bug. My guess it's a Acanthocephala terminalis, a common leaf-footed bug. A quick zoom through internet links didn't give me quick info from Iowa on it, but here's a succinct little piece on it from Arkansas.

Yeah, I think the colloquial name for it is squashbug. I always get those mixed up.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Saw this freaky little guy outside today. About 1" long, six long legs, long antenna. Very slow and doesn't appear to fly. It's not often I see a bug I haven't ever seen before. What is he?

Also goes by the common name of Assassin Beetles and Kissing Bugs. One species carries Chagas Diseases in parts of the World -- blood suckers!

CycloneChris

Jan 28, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Also goes by the common name of Assassin Beetles and Kissing Bugs. One species carries Chagas Diseases in parts of the World -- blood suckers!

bugs4cy will have to confirm, but I believe Assassin Bugs/Beetles or Kissing Bugs are a completely different family of insect. They do look fairly similar though.