What are you reading?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I haven't read a lot of King, but I listened to Pet Semetary and Michael C. Hall did a great job.

Maybe check out The Institute.

I finished The Stand, supplemented heavily by the audio book. The slightly different voice inflections the reader used for different characters was very helpful.

It was a great book. Right up my ally with the apocalyptic stuff mixed with good vs bad morality thing.

Reactions: VikesFan22

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I finished The Stand, supplemented heavily by the audio book. The slightly different voice inflections the reader used for different characters was very helpful.

It was a great book. Right up my ally with the apocalyptic stuff mixed with good vs bad morality thing.
I enjoy reading and listening to audio books. I would agree that the different voices the actors use help greatly for comprehension. I can get distracted while reading and after two pages realize I have no idea what I just read.

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021
I enjoy reading and listening to audio books. I would agree that the different voices the actors use help greatly for comprehension. I can get distracted while reading and after two pages realize I have no idea what I just read.

I am plodding along with the Stand on Kindle right now. About 30% through. It's a bit harder to follow because it seems each chapter goes between a wide array of characters. So far, the central plot hasn't moved forward much and I am beginning to lose track of which characters are the main ones. And which ones have died off. Maybe I should audio for the different voices. I agree, it really helps.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
I want to get back to finishing The Road To Character by David Brooks

Then on to Dispatches From The Race War by Tim Wise

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe4Cy

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie, going to take a training through work by his company as well in the next few months. Started reading two books a month in December, last four were real estate investing books.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
S
Syl is one of my favorite characters from any book ever. Kaladin's story arch can get a bit long winded at times but it's worth it.
Im a third through the first, so far i enjoys kaladins story. And trying to piece together the happenings with Dalinar have been fun.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Gotta admit stormlight is an absolute slog for me. All of my friends are reading it so I’ll hang. It’s not bad but I’ve been reading the 4th one for like a year.

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
Currently reading Viral Justice by Ruha Benjamin. Book jacket calls it “part memoir, part manifesto” and the author explores the intersectionality of racism, the current pandemic, police violence, medical/healthcare inequity, segregation, and more. Fascinating read.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyismymonkey

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Gotta admit stormlight is an absolute slog for me. All of my friends are reading it so I’ll hang. It’s not bad but I’ve been reading the 4th one for like a year.
How many are out now? I read the first one like a decade or more ago, after it came out.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I listened to "A Heart That Works" by Rob Delaney, the guy from the show "Catastrophe" about his toddler son dying of a brain tumor. It's fairly short and he reads the audio book himself. It was quite good.

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
Hadn't seen this thread before.

Currently Reading:
- Giannis: The Improbable Rise of an NBA MVP by Mirin Fader
In looking up the exact title I stumbled on the fact that there is an updated version of this with an additional Epilogue about him winning the NBA Championship. I'll have to see if I can find that as my library only has the original. Also, his story is really interesting. Growing up with nothing in Greece to where his is today is remarkable.

-Wayward by Chuck Wendig.
This is the sequel to Wanderers which I loved. I've read all of Wendig's stuff except for the Star Wars material he wrote. I especially like his Miriam Black Series. Has a really awesome, strong, female lead with psychic powers.

-Harry Potter Book 1
Reading this to my kid at night before bed. We're about half way through and she's really enjoying it.

Future Reading:
Probably the Stormlight Archives. When The Wheel of Time show was announced I ended up reading all of that series in the fall of '21(to the detriment of my sleep schedule). I knew about B.S. helping finish that and found out about the Stormlight Archives but never started it. Thinking it's time to give it a go.