WBB: General All-NCAA Thread - Not Team Cyclones Stuff

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
WG6bvub.jpeg

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
I think my deep dislike of Kim Mulkey wins out over the rivalry. I'll be grudgingly rooting for the Evil Empire. Not thrilled about how happy they'd be to win, but I've had enough of Mulkey.
Mulkey is bad for the game. Sad that she is going to make me want Iowa to win. As for Staley, was there even any coaching? I didn't see any adjustments at all.

ChiClone22

Mar 19, 2022
Keys to the game:

1) Caitlin had an amazing game. 41 points, between scoring and assists - accounted for 75% of Iowa’s points.

2) Iowa stayed out of foul trouble.

3) Blunder and Iowa coaches’ defensive game plan was masterful.

4) I knew Zia Cooke would be key but I expected Boston to be much more impactful for South Carolina as she will be the #1 player chosen in what WNBA draft.

5). South Carolina’s weak three point shooting was exploited by Iowa’s defensive game plan. SC was 4-20 from 3.

Congratulations and I for one will be cheering to a team with a player from West Des Moines and a coach (St Ambrose, Drake then Iowa) that are Iowa people through ane through to win on Sunday.

Last edited:

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
I think Staley may have overplayed the "we don't get no repect" card and the team believed that they were unbeatable.
And Clark was far and away the best player on the court.

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022
Iowa's half-court offense is so much more fun to watch than Iowa State's.

Constant movement and attacking vs making sure the opponent has their D setup before forcing a bad shot late in the clock.

Make sure you have your vomit bucket ready for Sunday.

• Agree
Reactions: ICCYFAN

peatyscotch

Feb 16, 2022
I guess I am glad to see the arm chair coaches criticize a coach like Staley just as much as they do Bill. But y'all forget there is a big difference between what the coach tells the players and what they do. Boston was totally out of her game as soon as she got the 2 quick fouls and never recovered. I've never seen SC play this badly, but a lot of credit goes to Clark. She is amazing - and all game long, she pushed off on the drive - sometimes holding the defenders arm and sometimes hooking them - and didn't get called once. Many people have said - and I agree with them - that WBB is not held back by the coaches or by the players, but rather by the level of officiating which has not progressed anywhere near that of the coaches and players.

Back to Staley. Here are a few facts about her coaching success. Gamecocks had a 50% win record in the decade prior to Staley's arrival. During Staley's tenure, their win percentage is 79%. In her first year in SC, the team went 10-18. By her fourth year, they went 25-10, then 25-8 and then 29-5. Starting in her 4th year at SC, the team went to the Sweet 16 for the first time and somewhere around her 9th year, she won the whole thing. When you have a record like hers, feel free to criticize her; until then .....

Lafaester54

Mar 18, 2011
Colorado/Wyoming
Iowa's half-court offense is so much more fun to watch than Iowa State's.

Constant movement and attacking vs making sure the opponent has their D setup before forcing a bad shot late in the clock.

Make sure you have your vomit bucket ready for Sunday.
I always have a problem with comparing teams, that being said their offense is really fun to watch. I’m surprised that SC didn’t zone Iowa, Iowa did a good job spreading the court to utilize quickness and neutralize size (SC had a 6’7” and 6’5” player). You could always go back to man if Iowa shot you out of it but we’ll never know.
Re Caitlin Clark, 41 against a team that was allowing 51 ppg was almost amazing.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I’ll preface by saying Clark is an amazing player. I don’t understand why you don’t do everything you can to not let her beat you like that. You can’t leave a defender on an island like that.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Clark is a special player. She epitomizes the Iowa Girl that E Wayne Cooley tried to project. And it’s just so SEC like to blame the officials for South Carolina’s loss. Just enjoy this moment.

tomvet

Aug 30, 2014
25+ year women's BB season ticket holder here. I don't hate Iowa, I don't hate Lisa B. What I do hate is the disparity between ISU & IU programs that seems to be getting worse. Lisa B. has definitely out coached us. And if CC stays two more years its going to get worse because every top recruit in the country is going to want to play with one of the best college women's BB player ever.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Here's a stat for you.... South Carolina allowed 51 points per game this season. Caitlin Clark scored 41 against the Gamecocks tonight — and dished 8 assists…….she’s pretty awesome. I hate the hawks but you can’t deny greatness
She’s amazing. She’s like the Magic Johnson of women’s basketball except faster.

What a game last night!

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
It still blows my mind that SC basically tried guarding Caitlin 1 on 1 all night

• Agree
Reactions: NENick

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron