***WBB: 2021 Recruiting Thread***

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
I think as good and tough as she was, Poppins was undersized. Serious question, have we ever had a post player the caliber of what Texas, Baylor, or Maryland, even Iowa has? Not since Angie Welle is my guess.

Reactions: StClone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
SuperFanatic
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I think as good and tough as she was, Poppins was undersized. Serious question, have we ever had a post player the caliber of what Texas, Baylor, or Maryland, even Iowa has? Not since Angie Welle is my guess.
Top notch posts, or true centers in the traditional definition, are a rare commodity and few schools have one. Not even that many for the WNBA draft this year which is why, as inconsistent and flawed as she is, Charli Collier is likely going #1. It's the same in MBB, everybody covets one but few actually have an elite true center.

I don't think of Maryland as having an elite post, they're a team of tall guards/forwards and athletics wings. Iowa's Monica Cinzano is one dimensional, really good when she she can get position inside, where she shoots a really high percentage, but can't play defense and doesn't rebound well for a gal her size. If you're playing over 30 minutes a game at her size she should at least out rebound her PG and she doesn't.

With our system, and considering all but the rare elite team opponents, all we need is someone to hold their own on defense, rebound adequately and at least offer some threat of scoring. The only true center returning from the Big 12 top players is KSU's Ayoka Lee. Baylor's Queen Egbo only got honorable mention. Our own Kristen Scott was 2nd team.

Reactions: acoustimac

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
Added a new name: Nyamer Diew. She is a 6'1" F freshman at Butler. She was coming off an ACL tear last summer and got stronger toward the end of the season, averaging 9.3 ppg, 5.0 rpg, and 3.8 blocks in her final four games of the season.

She may be looking to be closer to home (Sioux City). Here's a nice article about her off-the-court struggles: https://thebutlercollegian.com/2021...mer-diew-is-channeling-grief-into-positivity/
Do you know anything about schools involved ? Could be a nice addition to the team.

• Agree
Reactions: ISU71

BoxsterCy

Staff member
SuperFanatic
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Added a new name: Nyamer Diew. She is a 6'1" F freshman at Butler. She was coming off an ACL tear last summer and got stronger toward the end of the season, averaging 9.3 ppg, 5.0 rpg, and 3.8 blocks in her final four games of the season.

She may be looking to be closer to home (Sioux City). Here's a nice article about her off-the-court struggles: https://thebutlercollegian.com/2021...mer-diew-is-channeling-grief-into-positivity/
Wasn't someone we showed interest in before is it? Did her ACL hinder her recruitment?

Her limited stats at Butler make her seem like someone both ISU and Iowa would go after. One paper sounds like the type of athletic player (maybe a bit on the raw side based on shooting percentage) that both teams lack and could really use.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines

She played on the 2019-2020 SC East team that upset Caitlin Clark and Dowling Catholic in the regional final, keeping Clark from going to state her senior year.

She had 27 to lead her team to state.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: ISU71 and NWICY

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Wasn't someone we showed interest in before is it? Did her ACL hinder her recruitment?
I don't recall seeing her name before. She lived in Minnesota until moving to Iowa before her junior year. She led all of 5A in blocked shots both seasons she was in Iowa.

Short video here: https://siouxlandnews.com/sports/co...w04P-OJuBLoUVX9Ch1wUg-GZPPfncElFM3-Hj4boyp0Ug

Note from the video: she also had offers from George Mason, Illinois State, and U of San Diego. It seems like she was under-the-radar and is still scratching the surface as far as her potential.