NFL: ***Vikings fans 2013 NFL Draft headquarters***

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
I'll just go ahead and give a prediction so I can laugh at how wrong I was later:

The Vikings take DT Richardson, DT Williams, CB Rhodes, CB Hayden at #23 if they are available (in that order) OR someone who is very highly rated and slips for some unexpected reason. If that happens they could trade this pick back due to the demand that player would create.

Highly likely that all 4 of those guys are taken before 23.

Give me Alec Ogletree at 23 and Justin Hunter at 25 then address CB and DT.

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011
I'm going to preface this by saying that I'm a draft fanatic, it might be my favorite sporting event of the year, sorry for the book.

I can't even think of the anger that would be going through my body if they trade up for Te'o. I agree that it's probably a smokescreen by Spielman cuz he's a tricky bastard like that. Honestly, I would rather take Klein or Kiko Alonso from Oregon in the 3rd/4th round. If you put Louis Nix (ND's big d tackle, potential top 10 pick) in front of Klein, there's no way Klein isn't as productive as Te'o was. However, I wouldn't be opposed to taking Alec Ogletree if he somehow drops to them. Arthur Brown also wouldn't be bad. I think both are better fits in the Cover 2 than Te'o.

I agree with going defensive tackle early, but I don't want Sylvester Williams. It just seems like every year there's a bunch of North Carolina, Butch Davis era guys that have tons of potential, but they never seem to be impact players. Williams fits the tons of potential description, but I would rather take a Johnathan Hankins/Jesse Williams/Kawaan Short in the 2nd round.

I think we need to address cornerback in the first round. One of the mid-late 1st round prospects such as Rhodes, Trufant, Hayden are going to be on the board when the Vikes pick, they need to take one. I'd like Hayden. Mike Mayock, who I think is the best draft "expert" out there, has him as his number 2 CB. I would love Tyrann Mathieu in the middle rounds, but he'll probably go before then. I think he has changed, and he's a straight up playmaker.

WR is a tricky position to predict if they're going to take one in the first round. I think DeAndre Hopkins is going to be very good, but is he the "take the top off the defense" guy that the Vikings have repeatedly said they want? He's drawn Roddy White comparisons, so while he may not be a burner, he could be very good. Patterson is too raw to be an immediate impact guy. The only WR I would take at 23 is Hopkins since there's a 0% chance Tavon will be there at 23. Robert Woods in the second round is somebody I would strongly consider. He was a top 10 pick before he got injured this year, and has looked very good in the pre-draft process.

My dream draft would be:
1. Ogletree
1. Hayden
2. Robert Woods
3. John Hankins
4. Tyrann Mathieu (I realize he'll probably be gone before this, but I would love the risk/reward pick in the 4th round)
4. AJ Klein

Reactions: Rhoadhoused

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Highly likely that all 4 of those guys are taken before 23.

Give me Alec Ogletree at 23 and Justin Hunter at 25 then address CB and DT.

I've seen all of them mocked to go in the top 18 or so, but all of them going top 22 in the same draft isn't a guarantee. There will be a couple surprise picks and someone will drop. Remember when the Seahawks took Bruce Irvin at 15?

Mel Kiper didn't even have him taken in the first two rounds! The Vikings will have a ton of options. CB Trufant could go there too.

H

HGPuck

I think Hayden is the consensus number 2 CB at this point or at least he is in most of the things I have been reading. I really like Woods in the second round, he might be the most ready to contribute next year of the WRs behind Austin. And Ogletree would be a major coupe at number 23. If they got those three with 23, 25, and 52 it would be a home run. My hope is still that Warmack or Richardson falls to 23 (not likely for either but possible mainly because of position). That is the only way I could feel better than Ogletree, Hayden, and Woods.
I'm going to preface this by saying that I'm a draft fanatic, it might be my favorite sporting event of the year, sorry for the book.

I can't even think of the anger that would be going through my body if they trade up for Te'o. I agree that it's probably a smokescreen by Spielman cuz he's a tricky bastard like that. Honestly, I would rather take Klein or Kiko Alonso from Oregon in the 3rd/4th round. If you put Louis Nix (ND's big d tackle, potential top 10 pick) in front of Klein, there's no way Klein isn't as productive as Te'o was. However, I wouldn't be opposed to taking Alec Ogletree if he somehow drops to them. Arthur Brown also wouldn't be bad. I think both are better fits in the Cover 2 than Te'o.

I agree with going defensive tackle early, but I don't want Sylvester Williams. It just seems like every year there's a bunch of North Carolina, Butch Davis era guys that have tons of potential, but they never seem to be impact players. Williams fits the tons of potential description, but I would rather take a Johnathan Hankins/Jesse Williams/Kawaan Short in the 2nd round.

I think we need to address cornerback in the first round. One of the mid-late 1st round prospects such as Rhodes, Trufant, Hayden are going to be on the board when the Vikes pick, they need to take one. I'd like Hayden. Mike Mayock, who I think is the best draft "expert" out there, has him as his number 2 CB. I would love Tyrann Mathieu in the middle rounds, but he'll probably go before then. I think he has changed, and he's a straight up playmaker.

WR is a tricky position to predict if they're going to take one in the first round. I think DeAndre Hopkins is going to be very good, but is he the "take the top off the defense" guy that the Vikings have repeatedly said they want? He's drawn Roddy White comparisons, so while he may not be a burner, he could be very good. Patterson is too raw to be an immediate impact guy. The only WR I would take at 23 is Hopkins since there's a 0% chance Tavon will be there at 23. Robert Woods in the second round is somebody I would strongly consider. He was a top 10 pick before he got injured this year, and has looked very good in the pre-draft process.

My dream draft would be:
1. Ogletree
1. Hayden
2. Robert Woods
3. John Hankins
4. Tyrann Mathieu (I realize he'll probably be gone before this, but I would love the risk/reward pick in the 4th round)
4. AJ Klein

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
I've seen all of them mocked to go in the top 18 or so, but all of them going top 22 in the same draft isn't a guarantee. There will be a couple surprise picks and someone will drop. Remember when the Seahawks took Bruce Irvin at 15?

Mel Kiper didn't even have him taken in the first two rounds! The Vikings will have a ton of options. CB Trufant could go there too.

Good point. I still think best case...would be to have Xavier Rhodes fall to the Vikes at 23. Trufrant just seems like a stretch to take at that point when the Vikes have a number of other needs.

ANYONE but Te'o. I want nothing to do with his crazy ***.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Just had a conversation with a friend about this.

Compare Manti and Klein, as players and where you could get them at.

Is Manti really that much better? No way.
I like this. DT and DB at 23/25, a wr in 2nd, Klein in 3rd or 4th
Stay away from LB's as a whole in the first round IMO.
I like this. DT at 23 and DB at 25. WR in 2nd, Klein in 3rd or 4th.

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011
I think Hayden is the consensus number 2 CB at this point or at least he is in most of the things I have been reading. I really like Woods in the second round, he might be the most ready to contribute next year of the WRs behind Austin. And Ogletree would be a major coupe at number 23. If they got those three with 23, 25, and 52 it would be a home run. My hope is still that Warmack or Richardson falls to 23 (not likely for either but possible mainly because of position). That is the only way I could feel better than Ogletree, Hayden, and Woods.

I agree. The difference between Richardson and Sly Williams is huge IMO. If Richardson is there you have to take him. And if Warmack or Cooper were there I would sprint to the podium. Imagine a line of:

LT: Kalil
LG: Johnson
C: Sullivan
RG: Warmack
RT:Loadholt

AP running behind that right side would be INSANE!

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Any opinion on what beer goes best with draft coverage? Gonna be grilling some chicken & I need ideas.

Edit: something a little more original that Busch & Bud Light. I prefer TASTY beer.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
Any opinion on what beer goes best with draft coverage? Gonna be grilling some chicken & I need ideas.

Edit: something a little more original that Busch & Bud Light. I prefer TASTY beer.

The Sam Adams Alpine Spring has got me hooked right now. With that said, anything goes great with the draft.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
Austin would be a fantastic get for the Vikes, if they can grab him in 1st round. This years draft isn't that deep, so I'm not that interested.

H

HGPuck

Yeah I have been thinking about the possibility of that line for a couple weeks now and can't wrap my head around how good it could be (and relatively young). An interesting hypothetical is how you would rank Richardson, Warmack, and Austin for the Vikings (even though all three will likely go mid-teens or higher). For me it would be: 1. Warmack 2. Richardson 3. Austin

I agree. The difference between Richardson and Sly Williams is huge IMO. If Richardson is there you have to take him. And if Warmack or Cooper were there I would sprint to the podium. Imagine a line of:

LT: Kalil
LG: Johnson
C: Sullivan
RG: Warmack
RT:Loadholt

AP running behind that right side would be INSANE!

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011
Austin would be a fantastic get for the Vikes, if they can grab him in 1st round. This years draft isn't that deep, so I'm not that interested.

Seriously? I think it's almost universally agreed among all of the draft experts is that this is a very, very deep draft with no big time superstars at the top.

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011
Yeah I have been thinking about the possibility of that line for a couple weeks now and can't wrap my head around how good it could be (and relatively young). An interesting hypothetical is how you would rank Richardson, Warmack, and Austin for the Vikings (even though all three will likely go mid-teens or higher). For me it would be: 1. Warmack 2. Richardson 3. Austin

I would agree with that. I feel the Vikings need to embrace that they have Peterson, and that Ponder is likely never going to be a great QB. They should build around that strategy by building a dominant run game and defense. Warmack would provide a boost in the run game, and Richardson goes along with the idea of building the defense. If they do this, all they need Ponder to do is not lose games for them (like last year @ Green Bay).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron