Verizon Question

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
I have about a year left on my contract, and am looking at getting an HTC Incredible.

Best Buy has a Black Friday deal to get a free Incredible if you sign a 2 year contract. Would I be able to go to Best Buy, cancel my current contract (and pay the fee) and reactivate it with the Incredible?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Technically you could. That fee may be rough.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
Yes you could, you would pry be better off just buying the phone and keeping the current contract.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
I'm pretty sure the fee is around $175, which is a lot cheaper than paying $500+ retail.

dukeebear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 30, 2006
Ames
Should be about $100 to break the contract. If you can do it, and get a free phone, you won't be able to buy a Incredible for less than $300 retail. And that would be used.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Did you try logging into your VZW account online and doing an early upgrade to see what the price comes to there? Just an idea to try.

Contract break fees are usually prorated by months remaining. To help you calculate prices.

Agkistrodon

Feb 14, 2009
Unless there's something in the fine print of the deal of which I am not aware, you can probably just add the 2 year contract onto your existing contract as an extension. No need to cancel your current contract. I've been with Verizon since 2004 and this is what has happened whenever I have purchased a cheap/free new phone.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Unless there's something in the fine print of the deal of which I am not aware, you can probably just add the 2 year contract onto your existing contract as an extension. No need to cancel your current contract. I've been with Verizon since 2004 and this is what has happened whenever I have purchased a cheap/free new phone.

This is what I was getting at but not effectively.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
I did a similar thing ~6 months ago for the same phone. Little known fact - at Verizon you can get a new phone every year but you do not get the "new every two" discount, and you may have to pay like $30 or something. So, you can get the Incredible for the contract price (is it still $200?) and that is it.....maybe with the extra $30. Basically, you just don't get an additional $50 off the price of the new phone.

I'm not sure if you can do this at Best Buy, as I did mine at the Verizon store, but you can get a new phone every year without terminating your contract. Of course, paying $200 for a phone for 1 year isn't necessarily the most financially responsible thing to do....but some of us do love our new phones...

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
I did a similar thing ~6 months ago for the same phone. Little known fact - at Verizon you can get a new phone every year but you do not get the "new every two" discount, and you may have to pay like $30 or something. So, you can get the Incredible for the contract price (is it still $200?) and that is it.....maybe with the extra $30. Basically, you just don't get an additional $50 off the price of the new phone.

I'm not sure if you can do this at Best Buy, as I did mine at the Verizon store, but you can get a new phone every year without terminating your contract. Of course, paying $200 for a phone for 1 year isn't necessarily the most financially responsible thing to do....but some of us do love our new phones...
Isn't that just for the phone belonging to the name on the account of family plans? If so, I would not be eligible.

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines
I have about a year left on my contract, and am looking at getting an HTC Incredible.

Best Buy has a Black Friday deal to get a free Incredible if you sign a 2 year contract. Would I be able to go to Best Buy, cancel my current contract (and pay the fee) and reactivate it with the Incredible?

Why pay $150 for a early termination fee....????? When you can just wait.... I would rather wait and then see what else is coming out.... then you save $150 for beer and Cyclone tickets for the bowl game...... and still be able to text people..

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Why pay $150 for a early termination fee....????? When you can just wait.... I would rather wait and then see what else is coming out.... then you save $150 for beer and Cyclone tickets for the bowl game...... and still be able to text people..
The phone is $199 with a 2 year contract...

Free + $175 < $199

On top of this, my current phone is a piece of ****. Problem after problem

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines
The phone is $199 with a 2 year contract...

Free + $175 < $199

On top of this, my current phone is a piece of ****. Problem after problem

Ahhhh..... I would look at a smart phone...... you can get the Droid HTC for cheaper.... and then still have money leftover... Look at Verizon.com and see what you can get... cheap phone.. is just that... cheap, expect problems... thats why they are free

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
Isn't that just for the phone belonging to the name on the account of family plans? If so, I would not be eligible.

I don't know about this. My plan is just me. No family, no nothing...just me, and and I got the upgrade without problem.

When I went in, I thought I was due for my "new every two", but I was still a couple of months off. My Blackberry battery was dead and I didn't want to buy a new one (and, honestly, I just wanted an Incredible). They told me I could just renew my contract and get a new phone at the same price if you were a new customer.

I'm not sure about your situation, but I would go talk to the people at the Verizon store first before going to Best Buy. BB may be the better deal, but I would talk to the Verizon people and "threaten" them to go to BB to get a new phone...I wouldn't be surprised if you got a deal.

CP44

Nov 27, 2006
I work at Verizon and believe me, there are better phones than the incredible. Don't waste your money. If you are the primary line on your contract you are eligible for an upgrade every 12 months. I would wait and get something better.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
I work at Verizon and believe me, there are better phones than the incredible. Don't waste your money. If you are the primary line on your contract you are eligible for an upgrade every 12 months. I would wait and get something better.

Honest question. Of the phones available at Verizon right now (excluding any inside info you have about what is coming), what phone is better than the Incredible. I guess its a bit of a personal preference issue, but I still think the Incredible is the best. The Droid 2 is to thick, and too heavy. The Droid X is too big, as a person who carries the phone in his front pocket always. And the Samsung phone is the same size (right?).

I'm really not trying to argue, and I know everything I've said is up for debate based on personal preference. But I'd really like to hear what phone you think is best on Verizon right now.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
What do you think about the Samsung Fascinate?

Is it possible to just add two years to my contract and pay the lower price?

CP44

Nov 27, 2006
Honest question. Of the phones available at Verizon right now (excluding any inside info you have about what is coming), what phone is better than the Incredible. I guess its a bit of a personal preference issue, but I still think the Incredible is the best. The Droid 2 is to thick, and too heavy. The Droid X is too big, as a person who carries the phone in his front pocket always. And the Samsung phone is the same size (right?).

I'm really not trying to argue, and I know everything I've said is up for debate based on personal preference. But I'd really like to hear what phone you think is best on Verizon right now.

The 2 best are by far the Droid X and the Samsung Fascinate. The X is bigger than the fascinate by just a little bit but has much more memory than the incredible and personally I like the bigger screen.

The Fascinate is a little smaller than the X and a little sleeker. It has gorrilla glass so it is much more durable. It also has an AMOLED screen so it is more vibrant. The colors are brighter and it is easier to read outside. It also has more memory then the Incredible and runs the same Android OS.

CP44

Nov 27, 2006
What do you think about the Samsung Fascinate?

Is it possible to just add two years to my contract and pay the lower price?

No you have to be eligible for an upgrade. The good thing is that any upgrade on a plan can be used on any line. Meaning, if somebody else on your plan is eligible and is happy with their phone, you can go ahead and use theirs. Then when you are eligible again they can in return use yours.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
No you have to be eligible for an upgrade. The good thing is that any upgrade on a plan can be used on any line. Meaning, if somebody else on your plan is eligible and is happy with their phone, you can go ahead and use theirs. Then when you are eligible again they can in return use yours.
Ok, one last question.

Will I be able to terminate my current contract at best buy and sign a new 2 year deal?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron