Urban Meyer shows his stripes ... again

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
It is good to be in the limelight and national folks talking about stealing your coach.

Two things to consider, one of the easier path to the playoffs is through the Big12. If you win out , you will be in the playoffs. It is not a grind like the SEC or the BIG 10 east.

The second part, CMC in my opinion has still not put together a complete season. Early season loses, crucial game loses and bowl loses. To be honest outside of OU the BIG 12 has not been good the last few years and OU has got smacked in the postseason.

I think there are Coaches above CMC with proven records. CMC is an amazing fit here and he is growing. Pay the man like a top 25 coach and replace Manning offense , we may be in the playoffs.

this absolutely not true. The round robin situation is tougher to go through than the other scenarios. Yes the SEC has good teams, but since they only play 8 conference games. This means they get 4 non con and some schedule 4 cup cakes, most 3 cupcakes. So an SEC may play 4 or 5 really tough games a year. Big 10 East a grind? Nothing in the Big 10 is a grind. Any division with Indiana (historically they are not good), Maryland and Rutgers in it is NOT A FREAKIN GRIND. The old Big 12 south, with only Baylor as a bad team, now that was a grind. Or playing in the Big 12 from 2010 to 2016 or so where the conference went at least 8 deep with decent football teams and you had to go round robin. For Iowa State, that was 8 hard games and one (KU) somewhat easier one. That was a grind. The huge leagues with divisions is never going to be a grind, or maybe only sometimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: NWICY and VeloClone

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
In what ways? I wasn’t around the BB team/games with young kids at that time.

I always felt that we were more a stepping stone with the way the contract read. He knew he would have to work his way up the ladder and the quickest was to land ISU. IMO, he only wanted to be here 3-4 years tops from the start.

It's hard for me to articulate why, but as his whole leaving process stayed out, I started getting the impression that he resented the narrative of him being the savior of ISU basketball and the consummate Cyclone, returned home to fulfill his destiny and lead us to glory.

The fact that he now coaches freaking Nebraska adds to that even more in my mind.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Making huge sums of money isn't always about spending it. It's creating genmerational wealth. I have no idea how many generations that Matt is interested in taking care of. If any. A $2 mil bump adds a generation.

Yeah not really. At $3 million a year each member of his family essentially gets $500,000 pre tax. Combined I don’t think there are issues with them living on the $1 million a year right now while saving a ton. Now if you look at each kid and assume half is for taxes and the rest is invested in 10 years assuming no gains each kid is looking at $2.5 million. Most certainly they get decent interest. I don’t have my financial calculator so I’m trusting an internet one to work right but even assuming just 5% interest that’s over $3.5 million.

His kids could continue to live large without working or digging into any principal. I mean sure if he makes $6 million perpetually that grows but that may not be a guarantee.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yeah not really. At $3 million a year each member of his family essentially gets $500,000 pre tax. Combined I don’t think there are issues with them living on the $1 million a year right now while saving a ton. Now if you look at each kid and assume half is for taxes and the rest is invested in 10 years assuming no gains each kid is looking at $2.5 million. Most certainly they get decent interest. I don’t have my financial calculator so I’m trusting an internet one to work right but even assuming just 5% interest that’s over $3.5 million.

His kids could continue to live large without working or digging into any principal. I mean sure if he makes $6 million perpetually that grows but that may not be a guarantee.
3.5 million?? They’d be getting second jobs making pizza at caseys to pay the heat bill.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
20 MM last I saw
1st - He's not leaving.
2nd - For clarity from his 2018 contract:
In his new contract, which was signed this week and obtained by the Ames Tribune on Wednesday, Campbell would owe $7 million if he leaves ISU for another position prior to Feb. 1, 2019. That amount would decrease by $1 million each year of the agreement and drop to $2 million in 2023 — the last year of his deal.

The contract also states if Pollard were no longer athletics director at ISU, the buyout amount would decrease 50 percent, but would no fall below $2 million.

• Optimistic
Reactions: 83cy

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I completely disagree. The difference between his salary of 3.5 million and a blue blood(5-9 million) is more money per year than most of us can understand. If Ferentz is making 4.9 mil, then I say we pay Campbell 5 million per now. That is how you keep him, pay him the market rate for who you want to be now. Don't try to wait until later, it will never work that way.
I don't think Matt really wants more money. His last raise was almost entirely for his assistants. He gets money for winning as riders attached to his current contract. Pollard should be asking what he needs to be happy every year though. I just think that means more facilities and pay for his assistants. Wtf do you need more than 3-4 million in Iowa for?

• Optimistic
Reactions: 83cy

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
It's hard for me to articulate why, but as his whole leaving process stayed out, I started getting the impression that he resented the narrative of him being the savior of ISU basketball and the consummate Cyclone, returned home to fulfill his destiny and lead us to glory.

The fact that he now coaches freaking Nebraska adds to that even more in my mind.
Of course he got sick of it. It's pathetic the kind of complex we have with Fred.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Which if he took the ISU job not knowing that (he was already a celebrity and known from his college days) he wasn’t very observant.

The impression I got of Fred from the times I interacted with him in smaller groups (when he was still in the pros) was he had a group he likes to be around and is not an outgoing person. Not a trademark of a college coach.

He never struck me as a guy you'd like to hang out with unlike Wayne or GMac or Johnny...

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I don't think Matt really wants more money. His last raise was almost entirely for his assistants. He gets money for winning as riders attached to his current contract. Pollard should be asking what he needs to be happy every year though. I just think that means more facilities and pay for his assistants. Wtf do you need more than 3-4 million in Iowa for?

I feel you pay him for what he's done and where our program is - top 20-30 let's say. But you do everything possible to give him what he wants for the athletes and his assistants. Facilities, support staff, parking spaces or free lattes - EVERYTHING he wants to support his student athletes.

Reactions: NWICY

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
But he wasn’t getting to the NBA without major college experience. You have to admit, outside of ISU he wasn’t a known commodity like Jason kidd, Doc rivers, Maurice Cheeks and such to just go right to the coaching sidelines. He needed a base which made the need for a stepping stone. He knew people like Kraficison (butchered the spelling but the guy from NC that transferred to Iowa as a player and was an assistant for us for a bit) who had to bust their butt to get through the ranks and he didn’t appear to want to go that route. Everyone has a stepping stone unless you start as an NBA coach right away.

Thought it was well-documented his career goals were ALWAYS the NBA far prior to becoming our coach?

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

Does CMC look like he'd spend $1mm a year on living expenses???

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Thought it was well-documented his career goals were ALWAYS the NBA far prior to becoming our coach?
I always thought he wanted a GM position but you don’t just get handed those if you aren’t with the right group. Problem Fred had was his connections to enable that route was best with the Bulls, but that place needs a total overhaul to get on track.