Tyrese Hunter Entering the Transfer Portal - NIL Speculation

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Do the training table meals count as the meal plan? Or is that just something the AD provides and the athletes get the value of the meal plan as cash off the scholarship?

It's a meal plan essentially the "Board" part of Room and Board. 3 meals a day everyday except Sunday Dinner.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
I get the thought process - I do. But who is really responsible for the making of millions? Is it the players or those marketing and broadcasting the product? Think about it - if everyone was 20% worse at basketball, would we still watch? Maybe if they produce it right. I mean they've got us watching amateurs doing poorly at lots of things (and usually call it reality TV). I know the players think they are super valuable. But are they...? And aside from that, I work for a company making billions. I'm sure I could justify in my mind that I deserve more. Anyone working should lead to more revenue than they cost (obviously). I'm not sure what numbers are fair or how you justify your income exactly.

Also, at the end of the day, I again don't begrudge Tyrese for leaving. Given the circumstances, he probably made the right choice. I just don't like the changes to the system...but that's a me problem, and I have to decide how I'm going to support the sport going forward. NIL contributions or no (that's a no for me)...adjusted expectations for our team (maybe?)...etc.
The best determiner of fairness of income is the market. Payments to players, either through NIL or under the table, indicate elite players have significant market value. And to be fair, so do coaches, TV people, etc.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
The best determiner of fairness of income is the market. Payments to players, either through NIL or under the table, indicate elite players have significant market value. And to be fair, so do coaches, TV people, etc.
That makes complete sense - you're absolutely right.

GBlade

Mar 9, 2014
I wonder when ESPN will get into the NIL game? I bet there's an ESPN bean counter salivating at the matchups they could create by leading certain players to favorable teams. Why pay for the BIGXII rights when you could pay their best to play for the AAC/SEC

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I know I should forget about Hunter cuz its time to put it in the past, but would think we would see a list come out soon. But maybe he won't operate that way, and that would be fine with me. Meaning, tell us where he's going and be done with it.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
That’s awesome
On the other side of the NIL stuff, anyone know about the Shaedon Sharpe case? Im just learning about it now but it seems like his camp took Kentucky for a ride. Accepted NIL money and didnt play a single game.
I remember analysts talking about the guy not getting to play, but don't think it was ever spoken why. Did that become public knowledge? I mean, fans and boosters were surely questioning why he didn't play, right?

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
That's it basically. Original rumors tied him to UNC for $750k. Likely the amount and/or UNC will not be true.

But I have found it odd that the rumors started from the UNC side, and not from Iowa St end. I'm not the most connected to everything Iowa St, but from the sounds of it, even the rumors were a complete shock to Iowa St followers. So how is it UNC fans know before us?
For a guy who shoots 27% from 3. Wow - what a gamble lol. Plus he turns it over way more than many pgs do. He was not without flaws

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I wonder when ESPN will get into the NIL game? I bet there's an ESPN bean counter salivating at the matchups they could create by leading certain players to favorable teams. Why pay for the BIGXII rights when you could pay their best to play for the AAC/SEC
Not ESPN, but hasn’t Portnoy already done this for Deion?

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
I think you're going to see several teams that are today considered "middle of the road" MBB programs have a much better chance going forward. Those schools that have been competitive but have been a couple tiers below the top dogs but have very wealthy donors. Think Arkansas, Alabama, Houston, Oklahoma State, Northwestern, Florida State, USC, Oregon, Cincinnati, Notre Dame, Auburn, etc. You might get an occasional small school putting all their chips on a single player, but the price doesn't yet allow much of that.
I am also guessing that the benefit will be heavily weighted to schools that produce a lot of Doctors and Lawyers.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
That's it basically. Original rumors tied him to UNC for $750k. Likely the amount and/or UNC will not be true.

But I have found it odd that the rumors started from the UNC side, and not from Iowa St end. I'm not the most connected to everything Iowa St, but from the sounds of it, even the rumors were a complete shock to Iowa St followers. So how is it UNC fans know before us?
Wild ass guess- someone in Hunter's camp was shopping his name to see what kind of value it might have.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
On the other side of the NIL stuff, anyone know about the Shaedon Sharpe case? Im just learning about it now but it seems like his camp took Kentucky for a ride. Accepted NIL money and didnt play a single game.
Yep that’s because you cannot pay for play or have any language like that in the contract regardless of what this board says

• Useful
Reactions: frackincygy

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Yep that’s because you cannot pay for play or have any language like that in the contract regardless of what this board says

I agree, it probably can't have stipulations on performance or games played or it wouldn't be considered strictly endorsement based. I have seen where more of them are spread out over a number of years though.

What I don't know is if they could put in stipulations on living and representing a certain area or something like that since they could say the endorsement doesn't provide value to a local or regional entity if the "celebrity" doesn't reside or perform in that area.

• Informative
Reactions: cyfanatic

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
JR Blount follows. Personally do not want, numbers are very mediocre through 4 years of school

His senior year numbers are not mediocre, they just lack in volume. He had less usage than Grill.

He was BIG All-Defense.

We're unlikely to land a proven P6 scorer.

We're either going to get a midmajor that we have to project up, or a P6 guy in which we project can do a different role. Usually that means a younger guy, but it could mean a teammate of a player like high volume Ivory.

If Hunter can maintain his performance quality, just getting more usage, he'd be a quality add.

I could also see us wanting to wait for more of a combo guard or a guy with multiple seasons. But it seems like TJ is comfortable with using the portal to fill needs

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
His senior year numbers are not mediocre, they just lack in volume. He had less usage than Grill.

He was BIG All-Defense.

We're unlikely to land a proven P6 scorer.

We're either going to get a midmajor that we have to project up, or a P6 guy in which we project can do a different role. Usually that means a younger guy, but it could mean a teammate of a player like high volume Ivory.

If Hunter can maintain his performance quality, just getting more usage, he'd be a quality add.

I could also see us wanting to wait for more of a combo guard or a guy with multiple seasons. But it seems like TJ is comfortable with using the portal to fill needs
I don't feel like Hunter is any better than Williams, which scares me a bit because I don't think Williams is the undisputed answer at PG either for a Big 12 team yet. Would prefer to get someone equal in talent or someone who has strengths that support him over someone to back up the guy who was supposed to be the back up PG

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron