Twister Sister Summary - End of season arrives in jarring style

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Not an excuse for a first round exit, but Soares was the answer to most of the complaints, IMO. Once she went out, I think the team wasn't going to live up to the expectations that had formed with her in the lineup (understandably so). With her, I doubt we lose in the first round, and could probably have made a deep run.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Not an excuse for a first round exit, but Soares was the answer to most of the complaints, IMO. Once she went out, I think the team wasn't going to live up to the expectations that had formed with her in the lineup (understandably so). With her, I doubt we lose in the first round, and could probably have made a deep run.

True. It looked like one of those one shot years for an Elite Eight. We had a 5th year POY and a promising center for a single year and it sure seemed like "This is our chance". Although we had our shot last year to with a 4th year senior star and missed it. Missing the Elite Eight last year and the Sweet Sixteen during Bridget Carleton's senior year bugged me more than this years first round loss. All of the losses in all of the above examples did came to lower seeds though.

After Soares went out and we didn't play terrific, except in KC, I had lowered expectations when it became apparent we won't get to host. Although didn't see us losing in the 1st round.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
We have a great record of making the NCAA (pretty much 80%) and that's probably good enough if you throw in a Sweet Sixteen every decade or so. There's no real pressure to win the conference and we've done that only once in the history of our program and none this century. There's no "If you don't win the conference than the season is a failure", it's just not in our history like it would be if we had a bunch of titles.

With an Elite Eight and two Sweet Sixteens in Fennelly's first five years I thought ISU might be building something crazy special but that house a fire start was never sustained. What we have is a good program, not elite or great but pretty good, maybe just outside the rankings as a Top 30-35 if you rated some sort of scale for the last 20 years. Attendance is good and we win "enough" (see record of making the NCAA's) and that's going to continue to be good enough.

Whether it's good enough for me doesn't really matter, it's just the way things are and will continue to be for at least the next five years unless the wheels just fall off (which I don't see happening). We don't even have to be better to have better league records after Texas and Oklahoma leave. With them gone and Baylor dying on the vine the league is going to be not so great and we will easily finish in the top half, probably the top third, we might even have a hot season and win a piece of the title but to me it will a little less satisfying than winning in the old Big 12.

Summary: It's steady, pretty good but not great, and isn't poised to be much better or much worse.

After Texas and OU leave a conference title should be almost close to an expectation. The competition in the conference is going to drop dramatically.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
After Texas and OU leave a conference title should be almost close to an expectation. The competition in the conference is going to drop dramatically.
it's amazing how the women's and men's talent is way different from the top to bottom teams in any league, and especially the Big 12...TCU women were by far the worst team this year and they were BAD

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
This year was very frustrating. I honestly feel bad for the girls on the roster this year. I disagree with those questioning the talent and athleticism on the roster. I think Ashley, Denae, Lex, and Emily are all All Conference talents. My daughter played basketball through high school and I love watching girl’s basketball and respect it for the deferences from the boys game. Bill has to change or this program is never going to be Top 10. #1 He seems more enamored with having a POY than winning the Big 12 conference. Stop focusing on one player. #2 He needs to play more girls. There is no reason he can’t have a true rotation of 7-8. We basically had 6. Recruit better depth and sell them on playing time. Currently if someone is tired, playing poorly, or injured you have no options to replace them because the talent gap is huge. Or he is just unwilling to take some girls out. Tell me some of the kids on Drake’s roster couldn’t help us. Explain why Aubrey and now Maggie have left. #3 He needs to develop players. I don’t see improvement in individual players from year to year. In fact he seems to stifle that. Two great examples Maddie Wise and Lexi. Maddie was an amazing high school player who seemed regress offensively each year at Iowa State. The same is happening to Lexi. Lexi is a fraction of the offensive player she was when she came to ISU.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Waiting for Tennessee game vs Toledo and the ignorant announcer - Pam Ward- called us Ohio State again. The fact these people have jobs is mind numbing.
Guess Toledo not too good.

Getting stomped! Not even close. Down 28 at half.

Update: 47 point loss

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Marcelason78

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Ummm that's what he is though. Even when Soares was healthy we were forcing way too many possessions through her instead of relying on ball movement and reversals to open things up. She's a very good post player but I just don't agree with Bill's "run everything through one player" approach.
You must not have watched those games. Ball movement was inside/out with a lot more guard movement than what happened when Soares wasn’t playing. She became another ball distributor.

Reactions: ISU40 and VeloClone

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
All those wishing for Bill’s departure thinking a new coach will take us to heights never before known…take a look at Baylor post Mulkey

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Sorry, but unless you are Kansas on the Men's side no team should be generally expected to win the conference title. Just look at this year - one injury to a key - not even "best" - player resulted in the team going from prohibitive favorite to also ran.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Espenmiller-McGraw has voted with her feet. Best wishes to her. Wonder if she’s headed to Iowa City?

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Ummm that's what he is though. Even when Soares was healthy we were forcing way too many possessions through her instead of relying on ball movement and reversals to open things up. She's a very good post player but I just don't agree with Bill's "run everything through one player" approach.

I agree as well. We'll never know if they as a team were more successful playing that way or not. I do think it was easy to scout us with his style of running plays thru one person a good share of the time. Looking forward to next year!

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
All those wishing for Bill’s departure thinking a new coach will take us to heights never before known…take a look at Baylor post Mulkey
I do not want Bill to leave.
Without some changes I think we have reached our ceiling. Like almost everybody, some seasons will be better than others. Next year will be “ interesting.” Ashley will leave a HUGE hole. Not sure we have a go to scorer, and I really worry about rebounding.
Time will tell. Despite all our experience, I expect an off year next year unless the portal is good to us. Soares could be a difference maker but there are a lot of things that need to come together for her to play effectively. The league might be poor again next year helping our record. I imagine Texas and OU will be the top dogs.

Last edited:

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
This year was very frustrating. I honestly feel bad for the girls on the roster this year. I disagree with those questioning the talent and athleticism on the roster. I think Ashley, Denae, Lex, and Emily are all All Conference talents. My daughter played basketball through high school and I love watching girl’s basketball and respect it for the deferences from the boys game. Bill has to change or this program is never going to be Top 10. #1 He seems more enamored with having a POY than winning the Big 12 conference. Stop focusing on one player. #2 He needs to play more girls. There is no reason he can’t have a true rotation of 7-8. We basically had 6. Recruit better depth and sell them on playing time. Currently if someone is tired, playing poorly, or injured you have no options to replace them because the talent gap is huge. Or he is just unwilling to take some girls out. Tell me some of the kids on Drake’s roster couldn’t help us. Explain why Aubrey and now Maggie have left. #3 He needs to develop players. I don’t see improvement in individual players from year to year. In fact he seems to stifle that. Two great examples Maddie Wise and Lexi. Maddie was an amazing high school player who seemed regress offensively each year at Iowa State. The same is happening to Lexi. Lexi is a fraction of the offensive player she was when she came to ISU.
I agree with what you are saying and I believe points 2 & 3 go hand and hand. If players don't get time they can not improve and if you are playing most of the time you get beat down which IMO is what has been the issue with Lexi. She usually gets the other teams smaller best player on defense and it takes a toll on her shooting.

• Winner
Reactions: bozclone

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
You must not have watched those games. Ball movement was inside/out with a lot more guard movement than what happened when Soares wasn’t playing. She became another ball distributor.

Against poor competition, you are correct, we were moving the ball well... The Big 12 was not good this year and even without Soares we still drastically underachieved. The brick wall Iowa State ran in to in the first round just lost by almost 50... that's embarrassing.