TV Buying guide

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Try going into settings and turning AV sync to either on or off. That fixed it for me.

I have experienced that on all TVs lately. I think it may be a broadcasting issue, not sure though. There is a sync option you can play with. I actually am returning my 900h and getting the 950. Not happy with the 900h.

I have messed with every AV sync and audio output type all morning.Some settings work for Netflix, some work better for Hulu, and some just suck all together. Pulling my hair out trying to figure out why something so simple is such a pain. I don’t really want to have to edit audio settings every time I watch something different.

Im starting to wonder if my only option is to go back to a 2.1 sound bar and accept low quality audio. To be honest, I haven’t felt like I’ve made that big of a step forward from my 8 year old soundbar and tv setup that I was replacing with this $1,500 setup

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I have a Polk Magnifi Mini on HDMI Arc. I occasionally have audio lag issues, mostly on antenna, but if I turn it off and back on, it syncs back up.

Now if someone can fix the wifi subwoofer that won't connect to the receiver anymore, that would be great...

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
I have messed with every AV sync and audio output type all morning.Some settings work for Netflix, some work better for Hulu, and some just suck all together. Pulling my hair out trying to figure out why something so simple is such a pain. I don’t really want to have to edit audio settings every time I watch something different.

Im starting to wonder if my only option is to go back to a 2.1 sound bar and accept low quality audio. To be honest, I haven’t felt like I’ve made that big of a step forward from my 8 year old soundbar and tv setup that I was replacing with this $1,500 setup
I have the 2nd x900h hooked up through my stereo and it seems fine. To your point as far as step forward, I agree and that is why I am going to try the 950. My 4 year old 65 in sony is much better than the 900 i recently bought. Also, I don't understand the high reviews. Every football game looks like crap and has artifacts. I see sony has some software issues so maybe thats the problem, but who knows if they'll fix it or when. If you are within the 15 days, make BB swap it out for something else.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
I have the 2nd x900h hooked up through my stereo and it seems fine. To your point as far as step forward, I agree and that is why I am going to try the 950. My 4 year old 65 in sony is much better than the 900 i recently bought. Also, I don't understand the high reviews. Every football game looks like crap and has artifacts. I see sony has some software issues so maybe thats the problem, but who knows if they'll fix it or when. If you are within the 15 days, make BB swap it out for something else.

Do you have it hooked up via optical or HDMI ARC?

I returned the sound bar and got a 3.1 version that connects via optical. This one is perfectly in sync, but leaves a lot to be desired as far as sound goes.

I did manually download the newest firmware update this morning. No idea if that fixes the artifacting issues you reference. I personally haven't noticed that, but admittedly I'm not 100% certain I know what I'm looking for. I didn't notice anything too strange watching the game Friday.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
Do you have it hooked up via optical or HDMI ARC?

I returned the sound bar and got a 3.1 version that connects via optical. This one is perfectly in sync, but leaves a lot to be desired as far as sound goes.

I did manually download the newest firmware update this morning. No idea if that fixes the artifacting issues you reference. I personally haven't noticed that, but admittedly I'm not 100% certain I know what I'm looking for. I didn't notice anything too strange watching the game Friday.
I'm using arc right now.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Want to get one of these deals but really want an OLED TV.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
How big of a deal is burn in on OLEDS these days? My youngest tends to just put down the controller and walk away when he's done playing xbox.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
How big of a deal is burn in on OLEDS these days? My youngest tends to just put down the controller and walk away when he's done playing xbox.
I’ve had a LG 65C9 for about a year now, I haven’t noticed anything. The TV will run “pixel refresh” routines when the panel is off to cycle the oleds and prevent burn in. The TV is amazing, never seeing bloom is worth every penny

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I don't own an Xbox but on my PS4 it will go to a screen saver after so many minutes of non use.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I don't own an Xbox but on my PS4 it will go to a screen saver after so many minutes of non use.
Xbox just dims the screen, which I suppose would help some but the mostly static image is still there.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Well I am now planning to return my X900H this week with the news of Sony no longer planning firmware updates to peovide VRR, ALLM and properly working 4k 120hz. Looking for potential suggestions on a replacement.

Looked at the LG NANO90. Doesn't get the best reviews from RTINGS but have had good luck with LG in the past. Vizio's quality control has apparently gone to crap in the past year or so based on all the problems I've seen. Not sure where to go from here.

Disappointed in Sony. I had really liked this tv but not delivering a key selling function has me soured.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I have a Polk Magnifi Mini on HDMI Arc. I occasionally have audio lag issues, mostly on antenna, but if I turn it off and back on, it syncs back up.

Now if someone can fix the wifi subwoofer that won't connect to the receiver anymore, that would be great...

My subwoofer finally connected again. But now it crackles fairly regularly during movies. Might be partly blown.

Either way, I can't recommend the Polk Magnifi Mini.

NDMARTIN2015

Jun 7, 2018
Des Moines
Well I am now planning to return my X900H this week with the news of Sony no longer planning firmware updates to peovide VRR, ALLM and properly working 4k 120hz. Looking for potential suggestions on a replacement.

Looked at the LG NANO90. Doesn't get the best reviews from RTINGS but have had good luck with LG in the past. Vizio's quality control has apparently gone to crap in the past year or so based on all the problems I've seen. Not sure where to go from here.

Disappointed in Sony. I had really liked this tv but not delivering a key selling function has me soured.
This is why I got the x950h. The picture is way better, and I didn’t want to bank on a firmware update for features. At this point if you want those features you have to get an OLED. Sony’s new sets look promising, but I wouldn’t get too bent out of shape. The price of the x900h was too good to be true. Sony brand, all of those features... the TV has a capable board, but I think Sony realized that it wasn’t optimal and they were already near the release of the next wave. The HDR peak brightness and reflection handling/ viewing angles of the 900 are bad..

NDMARTIN2015

Jun 7, 2018
Des Moines
I got the Sony A8H during Black Friday and it is glorious. If you're in the market I can't recommend it enough.

I have a friend in the commercial display industry and he continually recommends Sony's over all else.

Sony picture processing is unmatched. It’s an LG panel which we know is flawless, but I would pay the extra for that sweet sweet Sony processing. Sony OLED is definitely on my list. I love my x950h. Best tv I’ve ever owned. Movies look incredible.

GBlade

Mar 9, 2014
Sony picture processing is unmatched. It’s an LG panel which we know is flawless, but I would pay the extra for that sweet sweet Sony processing. Sony OLED is definitely on my list. I love my x950h. Best tv I’ve ever owned. Movies look incredible.
What exactly does picture processing do? Is it just upscaling the image to 4k or something else?

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
This is why I got the x950h. The picture is way better, and I didn’t want to bank on a firmware update for features. At this point if you want those features you have to get an OLED. Sony’s new sets look promising, but I wouldn’t get too bent out of shape. The price of the x900h was too good to be true. Sony brand, all of those features... the TV has a capable board, but I think Sony realized that it wasn’t optimal and they were already near the release of the next wave. The HDR peak brightness and reflection handling/ viewing angles of the 900 are bad..
Definitely not in the OLED market yet. I agree with your analysis on the price being too good to be true - I am not hell bent on having those features, but when I saw them for $1,000 on black friday I couldn't pass it up. I've had a few other little annoyances with the X900 that I was willing to overlook because of the picture quality but this put the nail in the coffin for me.

This is where I'm at an impasse. Is a guy better off buying something midrange like a Vizio M Series Quantum for $700 and waiting a couple of years until the HDMI 2.1 kinks are worked out and 120 HZ panels are cheaper, or do I again pay $1,000 - $1,500 (NANO90, Vizio P Series, Samsung Q80, etc) for an undeniably better tv, but still not without quirks. I'm planning to hold out 2 more weeks to see what super bowl sales come up after I bring my X900 back.

I'm not a videophile by any means but I do appreciate a good picture. The X900 was the first 4k tv I've owned and it blew our minds watching Bridgerton in Dolby Vision on Netflix.