TV Buying guide

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
This thread makes me worry bout what to do when my old 2013 60" Panasonic plasma dies.
Ive got one too, that i keep wondering when it’ll poop out ... i also had a 42’ that bit the dust 2 yrs ago

50" for me. We're building a new house right now and I keep looking at upgrades for the basement. I've had my surround sound system in storage for a while now and want to build out something I can enjoy again. My plasma was/is great but it's just getting old, it's heavy AF so I get nervous about mounting it, and I'd really like to make the jump to HDR and 4k. The lady of the house unfortunately thinks spending money on TV's is a waste and doesn't support replacing it. We'll see how those negotiations work but she wants new furniture (which I think is a waste) so I'm guessing we both just get what we want :)

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Ive got one too, that i keep wondering when it’ll poop out ... i also had a 42’ that bit the dust 2 yrs ago

I have a 42" also that's been sitting unused for years. Do worry about the 60". They do get VERY warm. I check the cooling fans occasionally to make sure they are operating. Sits on sweet piece of modern cherry furniture to make replacement harder since the old TV is a center stand and new stuff is mostly wide spaced with two legs that might not work with the stand.

tv cf scale.jpg

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
This thread makes me worry bout what to do when my old 2013 60" Panasonic plasma dies.
we've got an old Samsung 55" down stairs about that old as well that I want to replace but the reason I really want to replace is for gaming on the xbox but would rather build a computer for that price.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
50" for me. We're building a new house right now and I keep looking at upgrades for the basement. I've had my surround sound system in storage for a while now and want to build out something I can enjoy again. My plasma was/is great but it's just getting old, it's heavy AF so I get nervous about mounting it, and I'd really like to make the jump to HDR and 4k. The lady of the house unfortunately thinks spending money on TV's is a waste and doesn't support replacing it. We'll see how those negotiations work but she wants new furniture (which I think is a waste) so I'm guessing we both just get what we want :)

giphy.gif

Reactions: BCClone and Tri4Cy

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny

I’m still rocking a 2001 Panasonic LED, a 2006 sharp aquos, and a Sony we got around 2015 ish. I don’t see a reason to get a new one until we lose one.

do4CY

Aug 30, 2020
Also have a 42" Panasonic plasma, I think from 2009. I still like the picture better than a lot of the newer tvs. Pulled it off the wall a few weeks ago so my wife could dust the back side, it is still heavy. It's been getting minimal duty lately because we got a projector for outside this summer and put that inside when it got cold.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
I went from a 55" 2010 Samsung LCD to the Sony OLED and it was life changing LOL.

But yes, I've been told repeatedly by said friend Sony's processing leaves everyone else in the dust. That look to be even more so the case with their upcoming 2021 OLED tvs.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I also hadn't bought a real TV in 7 or 8 years. Just got a LG CX55 OLED over Christmas and it is fantastic. And I don't even have much 4k content yet!

Reactions: pulse

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I also hadn't bought a real TV in 7 or 8 years. Just got a LG CX55 OLED over Christmas and it is fantastic. And I don't even have much 4k content yet!

Did the same thing. This thing is amazing. Watching something like The Expanse where it is space with stars, the space is pitch black. Oh yeah and The Fiesta Bowl was great too. :)

Reactions: NickTheGreat

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Best time of the year to purchase a new tv is black Friday and the week of the Super Bowl. So there should be some great deal coming in the next couple of weeks.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I have a 42" also that's been sitting unused for years. Do worry about the 60". They do get VERY warm. I check the cooling fans occasionally to make sure they are operating. Sits on sweet piece of modern cherry furniture to make replacement harder since the old TV is a center stand and new stuff is mostly wide spaced with two legs that might not work with the stand.

View attachment 80669

I found that Best Buy had a pedestal stand that you could buy to use in place of the two legs. It looked like it mounted to the TV the way the wall mounts work. I thought I might need it, but I didn’t.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Make sure the people buying the LG OLED's watch something in Dolby Vision. It's amazing. Sometimes it's a little tricky to get setup but if you use the built in Netflix and have the 4k package, some shows should show up as Dolby Vision.

Also works well with the new Chromecast with Google TV once you have the settings figured out.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I find that I'm watching less and less TV. Have LCD's, won't uprgrade until one dies, many I will just pitch it and watch even less when one does knock off.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Well I really f'n jinxed myself. That old ass panasonic plasma I was bragging about just **** the bed this morning lol. Looks like one of the boards failed. Found some replacement boards so I'm going to try and save it as it would make a great TV for the workout room.

• Optimistic
Reactions: StormnClone58

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Bought a Walmart brand 55 inch tv, the picture is awesome. Going to Hulu live with ruku as soon as the mediacom has its final payment, no point in dumping them till I get everything out of them I can.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Bought a Walmart brand 55 inch tv, the picture is awesome. Going to Hulu live with ruku as soon as the mediacom has its final payment, no point in dumping them till I get everything out of them I can.
Didn’t know Walmart had a brand.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron