Transfer Portal Tracker

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
What do you mean? Two out of the three guys who have been multi-year contributors were in their first two classes and those guys were on rosters with Butler, Lazard, and Ryan who I'd put up against anyone we have now. Like I've said, I don't think this is some huge issue as much as I just want to know what they think is the reason we have such a small hit rate. I know what I think it is, but I have no idea if that's right.
What I mean is that CMC relied on returnees, JC’s and transfers to carry the receiving corps the first few years. Than after the Fiesta Bowl win, they turned up HS WR recruiting a notch. Or two.

• Disagree
Reactions: MyNameEhJeff

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
What I mean is that CMC relied on returnees, JC’s and transfers to carry the receiving corps the first few years. Than after the Fiesta Bowl win, they turned up HS WR recruiting a notch. Or two.
I get what you mean. It just isn't supported by what's actually happened, at least so far.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I get what you mean. It just isn't supported by what's actually happened, at least so far.
You mean, aside from what’s actually happened, by them signing more athletic and higher rated wideouts—as opposed to “take a stab in the dark” guys? Gotcha.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
You mean, aside from what’s actually happened, by them signing more athletic and higher rated wideouts—as opposed to “take a stab in the dark” guys? Gotcha.
I mean, that's just not true. There is no one we've recruited that was ranked higher than Scates and the one who was close is gone. The guys purported to be athletic in some way are either gone (Adams) or on defense Tampa, Porter, Cooper). Beni is the only one who would qualify there and it's too early to tell but he's rated the same as Porter and Sean Shaw.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I mean, that's just not true. There is no one we've recruited that was ranked higher than Scates and the one who was close is gone. The guys purported to be athletic in some way are either gone (Adams) or on defense Tampa, Porter, Cooper). Beni is the only one who would qualify there and it's too early to tell but he's rated the same as Porter and Sean Shaw.

Ratings. Like they are never wrong. Walkons prove the ratings wrong every year.

Reactions: Aclone

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
The West Point cadet Isaiah Alston who entered the transfer portal last weekend and Iowa State offered, got several P5 offers immediately including Kansas and Houston, but they have quickly tapered off to FCS teams. Rumor is that he won't be able to separate from West Point Academy without fulfilling his signed 6 yr commitment to the US Army.

• Sad
Reactions: Cyclonepride

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
The West Point cadet Isaiah Alston who entered the transfer portal last weekend and Iowa State offered, got several P5 offers immediately including Kansas and Houston, but they have quickly tapered off to FCS teams. Rumor is that he won't be able to separate from West Point Academy without fulfilling his signed 6 yr commitment to the US Army.
Hmm, I never thought about service academy guys and the transfer portal, but when you enter a military academy you are pledging to serve in that branch.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Hmm, I never thought about service academy guys and the transfer portal, but when you enter a military academy you are pledging to serve in that branch.

I worked at a company where someone was in West Point, but left after two years. He said he had to pay $50k for each year he was there to leave.

Maybe because this player is in his Junior Season, it may be too late for him to leave? But I don't know.

• Informative
Reactions: Drew0311 and Die4Cy

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

From what I'm finding on the matter, West Point football recruits are given until the start of their junior year to make a pledge for a full commission in the Army academy, and according to reports, Alston did that. A West Point spokesman said all cadets follow the same rules when it comes to completing their agreed upon term of service. So this one might be interesting to watch.

• Informative
Reactions: SCNCY

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
Well that’s not true. ISU has had a JC or Transfer lead them in receiving yards every year since 2020. There’s a reason we’ve offered so many WRs in the portal these last few years and there’s a reason we’re trying to add another transfer/JC WR to this class before next year

• Agree
Reactions: ClubCy and nrg4isu

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Well that’s not true. ISU has had a JC or Transfer lead them in receiving yards every year since 2020. There’s a reason we’ve offered so many WRs in the portal these last few years and there’s a reason we’re trying to add another transfer/JC WR to this class before next year
Not by much. 1 game left, too
1703262689120.png

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
You literally repeated what I said.

And the reason we’re trying to add one more receiver to the room now is to add experience at the top. This is a development program. Any of those talented youngsters (Ngoyi, Parkes, Black, Essex, Eskildsen or Overby) can be expected to break in with twenty or thirty catches next season, not the fifty or so Scheelhaase would like to see a veteran add to complement Higgins and Noel.

Then in ‘25, those guys will be ready to take on bigger roles.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Ratings. Like they are never wrong. Walkons prove the ratings wrong every year.
I didn't bring up ratings. I was told we were bringing in higher rated guys and we just aren't. None of any of this is opinion. Objectively, and I posted the numbers, we have a very low hit rate among WR recruits and up through the 2022 class, absolutely none of those trends are changing like he said. This isn't an opinion if you just look at all the recruits and where their career went.

And again, it hasn't really mattered to this point because of transfer and JUCO recruiting at the position so it's not a big deal. It's just what has gone on.

• Agree
Reactions: ClubCy

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
You literally repeated what I said.

And the reason we’re trying to add one more receiver to the room now is to add experience at the top. This is a development program. Any of those talented youngsters (Ngoyi, Parkes, Black, Essex, Eskildsen or Overby) can be expected to break in with twenty or thirty catches next season, not the fifty or so Scheelhaase would like to see a veteran add to complement Higgins and Noel.

Then in ‘25, those guys will be ready to take on bigger roles.

Why don't we have experience?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I didn't bring up ratings. I was told we were bringing in higher rated guys and we just aren't. None of any of this is opinion. Objectively, and I posted the numbers, we have a very low hit rate among WR recruits and up through the 2022 class, absolutely none of those trends are changing like he said. This isn't an opinion if you just look at all the recruits and where their career went.

And again, it hasn't really mattered to this point because of transfer and JUCO recruiting at the position so it's not a big deal. It's just what has gone on.

Recruiting is an inexact science. So you post that you have been told we are bringing in higher rated players. Then state that you didn’t bring up ratings. You make no sense.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Recruiting is an inexact science. So you post that you have been told we are bringing in higher rated players. Then state that you didn’t bring up ratings. You make no sense.

Forgot who I was talking to.

He said we were bringing in higher rated players that are more athletic. I then said, participation has not indicated that to be true and he was also wrong that we were actually bringing in higher rated players so neither thing he claimed in regard to WR recruiting was true. It makes sense if you read the whole discussion to have proper context.