Trading Cards Thread

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
I thought this hobby was dead. When I was a kid in the early 90s everyone I knew was collecting. We all thought we would be millionaires in 20 years with our hoard of Barry Bonds rookie cards. Didn’t quite work out that way but I still got a few good ones sleeved up in a binder somewhere.

• Agree
Reactions: discydisc

Cydwinder23

Nov 21, 2020
I used to be big into collecting cards when I was younger. Just started getting back into it during the pandemic. Hard to find much retail these days. Did find a bunch of the new Rookies & Stars football in Target last week. Card collecting can be really addicting. Tough to stop buying once you start.
Is there a certain sport you’re getting back into o just collecting in general?

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
581f51439dcb55221233cd7605971753.jpg

Fanacys

Feb 2, 2011
When you mention “pull”, how do you know which packs etc to go after
Unlike the pack feelers at Target, I used to buy a box of cards. I'd open all of the packs and a "pull" was if you happened to get a valuable (if valuable only to you) card from that box.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
I guess I had a pro football moment in 1971. Every team but not every player. Should I be on the lookout for particular card(s). Thanks!

BDAL23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2019
I was wondering if anyone has kept up on prices on sports cards prices ? Card prices have significantly jumped this year
Card prices for 1980-90’s star and HOF rookies in PSA graded 9 or 10 are insane
For instance a Don Mattingly donruss rookie PSA 10 is $3500.
if you have 80’s-90’s rookies laying around may need to check them out. If you have 86-88 fleer basketball cards at home you could have a fortune.
My collection could pay off my house right now and still have money left to build a second story addition

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
Where's the best place to sell them? Or figure out what they're worth?

We bought a bunch for sons when they were in elementary/junior high. Now our son is in his early 30's. Think he should just hold on to them?

BDAL23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2019
Where's the best place to sell them? Or figure out what they're worth?

We bought a bunch for sons when they were in elementary/junior high. Now our son is in his early 30's. Think he should just hold on to them?
Sounds like late 90’s to early 2000’s. Best place to find out Value is ebay. You can filter by choosing completed and sold auctions. This tells you what that card actually sells for online.

Reactions: RLD4ISU

barryb4384

Jun 30, 2006
Sounds like late 90’s to early 2000’s. Best place to find out Value is ebay. You can filter by choosing completed and sold auctions. This tells you what that card actually sells for online.

If looking for values, I have been collecting for 35 years and been actively selling for 2 years now. The standard to look for values is 130point .com You can search EBay sales. This way you see what cards actually sold for, not what listed for. Good way of seeing real prices. I sell on Twitter and FB. I don't deal with Ebay. Typically to see off ebay, you sell cards at 90% lowest comps, but they sell quicker and no fees/hassel. I have also found twitter to be awesome to interact with other hobby/collectors. As for the graded 80s and 90s cards, I learned this the hard way. I got excited too and sent in some cards I thought were "gems" and in mint shape. I learned the reason those 80s and 90s cards are worth so much is rarely one a 10 or even a 9. If they have been in a binder sleeve or screwdown case, they are likely an 8 or lower due to surface issues. And that is if you have a perfectly centered cards with sharp corners. I sent in a Chipper Jones RC that looked perfect and got a 5.5. Ouch. But still nice to have some cards in cases and protected. But is pricey, about $15-25 per card. If anyone wants to interact/talk hobby on Twitter, I'm on there as @bsquaredcards

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Saw a 9.5 graded one on eBay for $4000

I snagged mine on a late night ebay auction for under 10 bucks haha. Even at that time it was a $50-60 card, it's doubled over that time. The only things out prior to today were all college jersey which turns most people away, for any of the ISU guys, I'm the opposite, I want them in their ISU gear.

Help Support Us

Become a patron