today's officials

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I think this is the same as an inadvertent 15 yard face mask penalty. I see them called very often. You have to call it. You can't say he didn't mean to do it?
AND THAT CALL DIDN'T COST US THE GAME.
There's always a judgement call of did the QB slide early enough to give the defender a chance to pull up. You can't have QB's sliding at the last possible moment in an attempt to get a flag. I think the hit today was basically at the same time as the slide, even watching it in slow motion.

I also think the only reason Sam got injured on it was because it wasn't even a slide, he just fell to his *** and was sitting straight up when the defender hit him. If he slides properly I'd guess the defender just falls on top of him and he doesn't get his neck wrenched.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
NO ONE SAID IT DID! WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?!?

I want to be perfectly clear. I thought the thread police were gone for the evening. I wanted all to know I wasn't making excuses. I can't type. I am hard of hearing. I finally got home and had a beer. Did you agree with my point of getting your fingers caught in someones face mask? :jimlad:
How is my punctuation and spelling. I didn't know all caps were that loud.

isumills

Dec 18, 2008
Johnston
Surprised no one has pointed out that Van Vark made the drive up from Pella to really make sure we didn't get any calls. He was the back judge

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
There's always a judgement call of did the QB slide early enough to give the defender a chance to pull up. You can't have QB's sliding at the last possible moment in an attempt to get a flag.
The face mask analogy still stands. I f a defender reaches and the ball carrier cuts and turns his head, the fingers get caught in the face mask and it can be 15 yards, it is pure physics and no fault of the defender. ( as noted earlier in this thread.) I just had 3 more beers, Go Cyclones.

wgleason

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
Explain how OSU has the ball on 11 yard line and the penalty is half the distance to goal then the ball placed on 7 yard line?

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
The loss was 100% on us, and I don't think it would've been a game whether those calls were made or not.

That being said, the officials were not calling it both ways today. These guys were up there with the Texas officials this year.

This exactly. Wouldn't have won us the game, but wow the big 12 officials are horrendous this year and if I was an impartial fan outside the conference watching big 12 football I would think they have a vendetta against ISU. That Texas game was the worst I've seen in a long time in screwjobs (football, cuz the KU bball game as just as bad) but man, they just continue to bail out the big name southern teams whenever it's really convenient.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
The face mask analogy still stands. I f a defender reaches and the ball carrier cuts and turns his head, the fingers get caught in the face mask and it can be 15 yards, it is pure physics and no fault of the defender. ( as noted earlier in this thread.) I just had 3 more beers, Go Cyclones.
The penalties are nothing alike, there is no judgement to be made about a facemask penalty.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Is the announcer right that you are ejected if you throw a punch "and they see it"? Didn't make sense to me because they saw something in order to throw a personal foul flag on that last series.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
i haven't gone back through this thread as I'm sure I'm getting blasted for my original post. I never said refs are why we lost. My real beef was with the no call on the late hit on Sam. Athletes safety is supposed to be a foremost concern, but it appears OUR guys are fair game. Both hits to Broomfield (Texas) and hit on Sam this game were done with intent to inflict maximum damage. It's pathetic that our guy's safety is of no concern.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
i haven't gone back through this thread as I'm sure I'm getting blasted for my original post. I never said refs are why we lost. My real beef was with the no call on the late hit on Sam. Athletes safety is supposed to be a foremost concern, but it appears OUR guys are fair game. Both hits to Broomfield (Texas) and hit on Sam this game were done with intent to inflict maximum damage. It's pathetic that our guy's safety is of no concern.
This post isn't based in any sort of reality. The hit wasn't late, it was a bang bang play. It was an awkward slide and an unfortunate outcome, but even watching the replay several times it doesn't look malicious in any way.

westlbcyclone

Jun 28, 2010
North Liberty
I honestly don't think there was anything wrong with the hit on Richardson. It sucked that he got hurt/knocked out of the game, but I don't think it was dirty or late or anything. Sorry.

What didn't make sense to me was the no-call on the kickoff when the OSU guy pushed someone RIGHT in front of the ref.

Last edited:

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
The penalties are nothing alike, there is no judgement to be made about a facemask penalty.

Nice explanation. From now on I will remember that about face mask call when they call them incidental or of the personal foul type.

Huh? If a players fingers get caught in a players facemask who turned his head and his head is nearly ripped off, it is 15 yards. Even though the defender had no intention of grabbing the facemask. If a player awkwardly falls down and another player in pursuit jumps equally awkwardly toward him 3 feet off the ground with no arms extended (about knee height) it is an accident because the tackled player is awkward in his slide. It is just dumb luck? The offensive player was clearly out of control and the defender was just doing his job. OK it it all makes sense. Thank you for clarifying that. I can dump mud in tap water and call it an opinion myself.I am not saying it was malicious, but many of the rules make the defense accountable for dangerous play, whether on purpose or not. You know examples as well as I do. I don't have to list them do I?

Last edited:

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Nice explanation. From now on I will remember that about face mask call when they call them incidental or of the personal foul type.

Huh? If a players fingers get caught in a players facemask who turned his head and his head is nearly ripped off, it is 15 yards. Even though the defender had no intention of grabbing the facemask. If a player awkwardly falls down and another player in pursuit jumps equally awkwardly toward him 3 feet off the ground with no arms extended (about knee height) it is an accident because the tackled player is awkward in his slide. It is just dumb luck? The offensive player was clearly out of control and the defender was just doing his job. OK it it all makes sense. Thank you for clarifying that. I can dump mud in tap water and call it an opinion myself.I am not saying it was malicious, but many of the rules make the defense accountable for dangerous play, whether on purpose or not. You know examples as well as I do. I don't have to list them do I?
I'm guessing beer #7.

Wilson

Sep 15, 2013
Only our fan base would have a five page thread complaining about poor officiating in a game we lost by five scores.

Last edited:

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
While the game was in contention in the first half, they basically handed OSU a touchdown on one drive with Tribune getting flagged. That was ticky tacky. They certainly didn't help us stay in the game early.

That call was terrible, but in general at all levels defensive PI is horribly called. Either call it by the book (in which case there would be offensive PI called on nearly every pass play) or let more contact by the DB go. It's my pet peeve watching football - too many drives kept alive by horrid PI calls.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
This post isn't based in any sort of reality. The hit wasn't late, it was a bang bang play. It was an awkward slide and an unfortunate outcome, but even watching the replay several times it doesn't look malicious in any way.

That wasn't a cheap hit. He was closing on SR from behind, who then suddenly slid. It was close to being late, so I wouldn't argue a flag, but I don't think you could say was malicious.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Only our fan base would have a five page thread complaining about poor officiating in a game we lost by five scores.

Why? Already been stated officiating did not cost us the game. Officiating in college sports has been HORRIBLE of late, not just in our games. Something needs to be done. Unless you enjoy getting screwed when the games are close, aka KU, OSU, and UT.