TJ’s Weaknesses Exposed Tonight

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ChickenNuggetMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2017
Minneapolis
0 adjustments on either side of the floor. Bob Jones playing starter-level minutes despite godawful play. Lipsey throwing the ball away 3 possessions in a row and the same looks bringing it up the court. No Ward minutes at all despite no one else being able to do anything. Throwing up a contested 3 as the drawn-up play while down 1. The list goes on and on. Yet all anyone wants to do is complain about the refs.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
I’m gonna get railed for this, but games like this where the team and staff completely melts down is where players who probably should have been playing in second half(King and Ward) start to get pissed off. Where they feel they probably could have helped the team. I hope the team has a good week of practice and gets focused on KU. A lot riding on that game.

ChickenNuggetMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2017
Minneapolis
I’m gonna get railed for this, but games like this where the team and staff completely melts down is where players who probably should have been playing in second half(King and Ward) start to get pissed off. Where they feel they probably could have helped the team. I hope the team has a good week of practice and gets focused on KU. A lot riding on that game.
We HAVE to protect Hilton. But it’s so frustrating that this team has shown it can beat anyone and lose to anyone.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
reflecting on the many correctly stated problems of this sh!t sandwich....a point guard who could advance the ball without a TO and also-using the refereee's call tendency at the game moment to draw fouls against over-playing press would have kept this a 10 point win regardless. If that same point guard would shoot more than Jacy Halloway we win it by 15+. Yes, I am dreaming of Tinsley. We don't have it. Wish we did. Love the guys we do have, and we might get better.
A Lot of bad losses though.....I would like to see some fight to stop these skids. Beat KU and make a poster of it.

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
Yeah, at this point King and Ward need all of Bobs minutes. He just isn’t a Big 12 level athlete

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
reflecting on the many correctly stated problems of this sh!t sandwich....a point guard who could advance the ball without a TO and also-using the refereee's call tendency at the game moment to draw fouls against over-playing press would have kept this a 10 point win regardless. If that same point guard would shoot more than Jacy Halloway we win it by 15+. Yes, I am dreaming of Tinsley. We don't have it. Wish we did. Love the guys we do have, and we might get better.
A Lot of bad losses though.....I would like to see some fight to stop these skids. Beat KU and make a poster of it.
Meh, sometimes when you are a freshman, you play like one. He's had very few of those moments. He already is more of a threat to score than Jacy was until his junior year or so.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Otz has a hard on for Jones and King/Ward pays the price every game. Tonight the fans paid the price too.

It’s a travesty how much time Jones gets. He has no game awareness, no touch, and is a turnover machine.

I happen to like Ward quite a bit….. and if I were him I’d probably transfer.

TJ was awful tonight. You almost have to try to lose that game tonight. It’s almost impossible to do. Some teams might actually be investigated for throwing a game losing like we did. Just throwing the ball right to the other team nearly every time up the court.

And don’t get me started on the plays TJ drew up at the end….. all just horrible jacked up 3’s that had about a 5% chance of going in. Awful.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
It seems like his biggest weakness is trusting guys too much. Jones has been awful all conference play minus 1 game and Lipsey was having a total meltdown today but he stayed out there. I suppose there wasn't a lot that could be done about subbing with our roster depth(which hey, is once again why you never should bank schollys, but that's not relevant right now)

I don't understand the adjustments thing either. We do them at home! We do them very well in fact in Hilton! So what the **** keeps happening when we leave Ames?

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98 and ISC

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Lipsy was able to blow past his guy when he drove late, up one and it’s set up for grill to jack one up? I know he was hot earlier but his previous 3 barely hit the front of the rim.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Can't fault Lipsey despite his poor play tonight. He isn't supposed to be running the point full time this season, but he's been forced to do it and has been good, mostly, until recently. But you gotta protect the kid when coaches adjust to him not shooting the jumper. Missouri really figured him out and ISU didn't counter with anything when Tech did the same.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
TJ is a great young coach. But it is only his second year through this thing and he looked like a young coach tonight. He has a long way to to on in game adjustments, I think we all knew that. His staff didn't help either tonight which I thought was disappointing and uncharacteristic. Were some easy things that could have been done, especially on Harmon that we never even tried. Offensive was just really poor as well. It seems to me he looks back on things and tries to learn from his mistakes, unlike Prohm who never did. But man, that was bad.

I am more worried about what we do about the backcourt situation now. That will be harder to fix.

I also wonder if we are getting worn down, the way we play is hard on guys. And this happened last year as well, we just get worn down.

TJ will reflect and learn from this.

cyclonez7

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
All TJ had to do was tell his team to chew the clock and we would have won. They weren't even pressing when we were up 23 and we could have easily rolled the ball up the court to waste time. Even after every made shot for Tech, we would rush to inbounds the ball right away instead of letting the clock run and just let the ball sit there for a few seconds. We were playing way too aggressive on both sides of the ball and it led to us getting gassed and making stupid passes. We literally would have won if we took a shot clock violation on every possession.