TJ’s Weaknesses Exposed Tonight

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
TJ is a great young coach. But it is only his second year through this thing and he looked like a young coach tonight. He has a long way to to on in game adjustments, I think we all knew that. His staff didn't help either tonight which I thought was disappointing and uncharacteristic. Were some easy things that could have been done, especially on Harmon that we never even tried. Offensive was just really poor as well. It seems to me he looks back on things and tries to learn from his mistakes, unlike Prohm who never did. But man, that was bad.

I am more worried about what we do about the backcourt situation now. That will be harder to fix.

I also wonder if we are getting worn down, the way we play is hard on guys. And this happened last year as well, we just get worn down.

TJ will reflect and learn from this.
with our style of play, we need more guards. We thought we would have two more scholarship guards in Williams and Green, but that didn't work out. So yes the guys we have are tired. Grill said in the post game his back was really sore down the stretch, that he couldn't play like he normally would. I hope they calibrate things in practice, don't wear them down so they have fresh legs for game day

Last edited:

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
TJ is a great young coach. But it is only his second year through this thing and he looked like a young coach tonight. He has a long way to to on in game adjustments, I think we all knew that. His staff didn't help either tonight which I thought was disappointing and uncharacteristic. Were some easy things that could have been done, especially on Harmon that we never even tried. Offensive was just really poor as well. It seems to me he looks back on things and tries to learn from his mistakes, unlike Prohm who never did. But man, that was bad.

I am more worried about what we do about the backcourt situation now. That will be harder to fix.

I also wonder if we are getting worn down, the way we play is hard on guys. And this happened last year as well, we just get worn down.

TJ will reflect and learn from this.

It’s his second year here. He’s 7th as a head coach.

Reactions: Snydes and ISUKyro

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
If you go back and watch, Tre was getting abused by Obanor whenever he was in. Needed Jones and or osun in there all night to keep him out of the paint.
I'll take your word for it, but one of the things that got us the lead in the first half was second chance points and King has become our best offensive rebounder IMO. There is a give and take there, and when it became clear the refs were calling everything on our D we needed those extra possessions to get some easier buckets.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Otz has a hard on for Jones and King/Ward pays the price every game. Tonight the fans paid the price too.
I'm being harsh and I know it, but at what point is it pity minutes for Rob's effort in practice or something? This is 1.5 seasons of B12 conference play where he's been overmatched outside of some moments or stretches here or there.

I know people don't like analytics, but Rob is not a capable B12 player according to those. Most guys with close to his numbers very rarely play.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
If you go back and watch, Tre was getting abused by Obanor whenever he was in. Needed Jones and or osun in there all night to keep him out of the paint.

I guess I’d be curious why Tre’s weaknesses mean he won’t play and Rob’s mean that he will. Obviously they think Rob gives them the better chance to win.

Cupped

Feb 11, 2016
with our style of play, we need more guards. We thought we would have two more scholarship guards in Williams and Green, but that didn't work out. So yes the guys we have are tired. Grill said in the post game his back was really sore down the stretch, that he could play like he normally would. I hope they calibrate things in practice, don't wear them down so they have fresh legs for game day
It seems like that crazy errant pass from Lipsey to Grill that made Caleb grimace was about the time our wheels began falling off?

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Jones taking the OT tipoff instead of Osun doesn't make any sense to me. Seems like Osun wins 90% of the tips at the start of games. Strange decision by TJ in that situation IMO.
What does Big Rob have on TJ? This whole situation is odd and I’m going full on conspiracy on it

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Jones taking the OT tipoff instead of Osun doesn't make any sense to me. Seems like Osun wins 90% of the tips at the start of games. Strange decision by TJ in that situation IMO.
And it’s not like Osun was in foul trouble either. If he had 4 fouls, then maybe I can see why Jones was in there to start OT..

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
reflecting on the many correctly stated problems of this sh!t sandwich....a point guard who could advance the ball without a TO and also-using the refereee's call tendency at the game moment to draw fouls against over-playing press would have kept this a 10 point win regardless. If that same point guard would shoot more than Jacy Halloway we win it by 15+. Yes, I am dreaming of Tinsley. We don't have it. Wish we did. Love the guys we do have, and we might get better.
A Lot of bad losses though.....I would like to see some fight to stop these skids. Beat KU and make a poster of it.
What I see in the last two games is more athletic teams playing defense that our lack of athleticism can’t overcome. Not just when pressing full court but in half court defense as well. We’re not quick enough or good enough ball handlers to penetrate and just end up passing the ball around the perimeter. Despite that, we win if we hit some free throws.

We’ll find out Saturday if any adjustments are made.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
What I see in the last two games is more athletic teams playing defense that our lack of athleticism can’t overcome. Not just when pressing full court but in half court defense as well. We’re not quick enough or good enough ball handlers to penetrate and just end up passing the ball around the perimeter. Despite that, we win if we hit some free throws.

We’ll find out Saturday if any adjustments are made.
As bad as we played in all other areas, we HAVE to get better at ft’s. We could be undefeated in conference play if we shot like 70% from the line.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015

This is ridiculous.

Jones was taken to the woodshed the entire time he was in that 2nd half. They were purposefully getting Jones to switch so that he could blow by him. Whatever failures King has pail by comparison. King is also better in every other facet of the game than Jones. Offense, rebounding, running the floor, defense, versatility...the only thing Jones has on King is a few inches.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
We were lucky to come out of Fort Worth with a win (almost choked that won away), choked bad in Stillwater, and choked tonight. I get this conference is tough and it’s a grind, but man these collapses in the second half, away from home has me a little concerned.
These are high-level coaches in the B12 making adjustments. If we don’t start making some soon it’s going to be a real problem.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
These are high-level coaches in the B12 making adjustments. If we don’t start making some soon it’s going to be a real problem.
That 'high level' coach in Lubbock is a handful of missed free throws or slightly less biased officiating away from 0-9 in Big 12 play. Tj and staff are excellent at what they do. The refs changed the way they had been able to play after the first 30 minutes and it completely played into Texas techs hands. How do you adjust to the refs? I would argue that they did adjust by not fouling as much down the stretch, but it led to a lot of easy paint points for tech unfortunately. Can't help that the refs decided they were going to help tech get back into the game

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
This is ridiculous.

Jones was taken to the woodshed the entire time he was in that 2nd half. They were purposefully getting Jones to switch so that he could blow by him. Whatever failures King has pail by comparison. King is also better in every other facet of the game than Jones. Offense, rebounding, running the floor, defense, versatility...the only thing Jones has on King is a few inches.
I don't disagree with what you're saying, but it doesn't make what I said untrue.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
This is ridiculous.

I'm with you. I'm sick of people saying stuff like "Jones is slightly better in unfalsifiable ways that totally overcome the massive gap in efficiency and mostly any metric."

It's a weird quirk that he's playing so much despite the lack of effectiveness over 1.5 B12 seasons. I'm hopeful that next season he's either a much improved player again and this time that's an average B12 big or he's seeing reduced minutes.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I don't disagree with what you're saying, but it doesn't make what I said untrue.

Yes it does, actually. You stated a reason for King being pulled that was erroneous and false. The way you stated it implied Jones and/or Osun were BETTER options due to King's defense. Jones is not, was not, nor will ever be a better option than King. For anything. The last several games teams have went to the high screen/ pick and roll for the sole intent of forcing us to switch Jones on a guard. This results in a direct chance from the ball handler blowing by Jones or results in open shots by way of defensive breakdown. It's literally a wash, rinse, and repeat EVERY single time he's out there. Not only that, but Jones is the worst 'recover' defender we have. He lacks the athleticism, quickness, and reactiveness to make up ground. It screws up our entire defense.

I'm trying to think of another that's received as many unnecessary minutes as Jones and I can't. That's for any team, any sport, and any era (college or pros).