Thomas or Nader on Brogdon?

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Earlier this week, the media hinted that Nader would get the first shot at Brogdon. I'd prefer Thomas as Brogdon is a smart player, and Nader has a tendency to get lost on D. Nader has the size and length to check Brogdon, and Brogdon doesn't have the quickness that usually bothers Nader, but I'm just more comfortable with Thomas.

I know this has been discussed, but wanted to get a feel for how everyone else is feeling. Thomas or Nader?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I like Nader due to his size and ability to defend the dribble. Matt is better at denial and defending shooters but Nader seems to match up better with MB's skill set.

niangstermvp

Mar 1, 2014
attachment.php

Insert Brogdon for Solomon - Abdel will get the job done.

Attachments

• nader.jpg
    nader.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,063

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Any chance they go zone to start the game, or is that just begging UVA to shoot them out of the gym?

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I'm guessing Nader will start on him and Matt will be on him by the 12 minute mark in the first half.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
It's a natural fit for Nader, and given the week of prep, I think he'll do fine.

A bigger question for me is Thomas or Burton when Nader goes out - my guess is Thomas gets the second crack, I don't think I trust Burton in that role

Brogdon isn't a "Hield-type" player where he's looking to score every time he touches the ball. They definitely run their offense through him, but he takes what is there rather than forcing the issue. The key will be to maintain defensive intensity throughout the possession.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
It is going to need to be a group effort, think Deonte could also get some time on him.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Our zone seems to be effective as a change of pace that throws the opponent off for a possession or two. I really don't like it for any length of time.

The UVa guys that have posted here have said they tend to destroy zones, and I believe them. They don't "shoot out" of the zone, but they move people and the ball well enough on offense that the zone will get stretched and they'll get an easy basket.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It's a natural fit for Nader, and given the week of prep, I think he'll do fine.

A bigger question for me is Thomas or Burton when Nader goes out - my guess is Thomas gets the second crack, I don't think I trust Burton in that role

Brogdon isn't a "Hield-type" player where he's looking to score every time he touches the ball. They definitely run their offense through him, but he takes what is there rather than forcing the issue. The key will be to maintain defensive intensity throughout the possession.

Burton has had games where his defense was really good, and he does have the quickness to stay in front of him out top and the strength to stay with him in the post. So I could see him as an option through stretches of the game, though I also see foul trouble arises from it.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I like Nader's size and strength against Brogdon, I am more leary of his post game as opposed to worried about him shooting from outside.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I like Nader on Brogden, but I also don't want him on the bench with two fouls 5 minutes into the game. Nader has the potential to have a big game from the outside against that pack defense.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Thomas would probably be less foul-prone than Nader. Having said that, their offense clearly runs through him, and they are very efficient. Here's hoping our guys have enough mental discipline to play smart and controlled, instead of gambling for steals and getting burnt. Bennett has coached these guys at a very high level.

If we DO win this, I can see it being a springboard to even bigger things. :spinny:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I've seen a few Virginia games, but not really sure about Brogdon at all. Their fans here are rightfully big on him and their team, so hard to tell from them. Don't feel I know enough about him for sure to know if Abdel has the foot speed for him, I think Matt does but doesn't match up as well physically.

I find it ironic that Mike Brey used his same "men against boys" terminology to describe their loss to them as he did when describing our tourney game a few years ago.

Hoosfan13

Mar 20, 2016
I've seen a few Virginia games, but not really sure about Brogdon at all. Their fans here are rightfully big on him and their team, so hard to tell from them. Don't feel I know enough about him for sure to know if Abdel has the foot speed for him, I think Matt does but doesn't match up as well physically.

I find it ironic that Mike Brey used his same "men against boys" terminology to describe their loss to them as he did when describing our tourney game a few years ago.

As a Virginia fan and knowing the type of player Brogdon is, I would think you'd want to put your bigger physical defender on him the majority of the time.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron