This is why Prohm must go........

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I was talking to a WVU fan last night. He told me he ran into one of their upperclassmen (and I forgot his name) when the player was a freshman at a football game.

He got to talking to the young man during October of his freshman year. He asked the player what he thought of Huggins, and all the player said back was --

"He's tough."

That would say a lot.
I don't approve of or enjoy much of Huggins' style over the years, but they know what they're doing.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Define "competitive". The only games that got out of hand in the first half were Kansas and West Virginia. Every other game I'd say we were at least competitive in. Our margin of loss isn't any different than a bad P5 team should expect. We generally win or lose close games to other bad teams. We also lose some close games to good teams and lose others by 10-20 points. Seems pretty standard for bad teams.

I would say Iowa, Baylor (x2), KU, Texas Tech and WVU were all not very competitive games. All included points where we were down 20 at some point. Auburn we had a teaser rally late but were down 10-15 points the majority of the 2nd half.

I guess you are down 20 and wind up losing by double digits I don't consider it a competitive game.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
Did you watch the game? We were down 24 with 4 minutes to go when WVU hung it up. They shot 6-22 from 3 pt range and only made 50% of their free throws. It could and probably should been worse. West Virginia is a very tough team in Morgantown. Heck their 4–14 squad beat up last year by double digits there. It is interesting how quickly a great coach can turn his team from 4-14 to a #3 seed in the NCAA tournament without multiple resets.

Thank you.

I think a lot of people bringing up stats and pointing to the big 12 tourney last year and making absolutely ludicrous comparisons to championship winning teams such as Kentucky, Virginia, and UNC aren't actually watching the games, maybe?

A big part of us wanting Prohm gone isn't just about losing--it's about looking really bad while doing it. That WV game was a little hustle and a few missed free throws from being a 30 point loss. We were never in that game.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
If it's that, he needs to quit. Scores of his fans have jobs and kids. Life goes on, and you're still expected to excel at your job.
Heck, I have three jobs and a family, and life goes right on.
It's not that, I'm just stating that he looks tired/aged.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
To each their own I guess. How can they not criticize the coach? We have 9 wins, even mcdoormatt would have 12 by now mostly on a soft pre conference...but not prohm. I don’t even care right now win or lose, mostly because I expect them to lose so I don’t even get bothered by it. That’s not good, still love the team...still love the cyclones but won’t get emotionally invested in it and spend my time doing almost anything else now. It’s hard to watch them now

It is a very tough thing to fathom that McDOORMAT was doing better than Prohm is at the present time...."I'm going to bring back Hilton Magic and fill Hilton again."....Quoting Fred Hoiberg

Two more years of misery coming right up.

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
When CSP got here, he had a team of guys that he could just roll the ball out on the floor and say go get 'em. Those guys are all gone. This team needs more direction, coaching, discipline and toughness. Prohm doesn't appear to have an offense, other than four guys stand around and let the fifth guy go one-on-one. This isn't a team of guys that can get their own shot (other than Bolton and TH). Do we even have an in bounds play under our basket?

Does the basketball team have a strength coach? After seeing the size of Baylor, WV, and Kansas, it's apparent our guys aren't spending near enough time in the weight room.

Count me as a Prohm believer when he got here, but I think he lost the respect of last year's team and the same thing is happening this year. This team needs better direction. Yes, I can deal with losses, but this year we look like crap when we lose. We're not competitive. Hard to be a Prohm believer any more.

I've been a season ticket holder for many years. Sad to see the declining attendance at home games. THAT'S what will get JP's attention.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It is a very tough thing to fathom that McDOORMAT was doing better than Prohm is at the present time...."I'm going to bring back Hilton Magic and fill Hilton again."....Quoting Fred Hoiberg

Two more years of misery coming right up.

The best McD team on Bart Torvik was #70.

This one is #90 right now. The other bad Prohm team was #83.

McD's ceiling was Prohm's floor. Roughly.

Yes, we have fewer wins, but our schedule is that much more challenging right now.

We are not *good* right now -- at all -- but do not make naive comparisons like that when you know playing Michigan is much more difficult than playing UAPB.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
WVU is beating Big 12 teams at home by an average score of 77.2-56 (a 21.2 point margin). They beat ISU 76-61 (a 15 point margin) last night. They are a really tough team, especially at home. They are in the top 15 for Pete's sake.

WVU is no doubt a very good team, but so far WVU's home opponents have been ISU, KSU, TCU, UT, and TT.

IMO, Prohm's teams have struggled at the basic fundamentals of rebounding, defense, and interior play (both offense and defense). Decent outside shooting has covered it up enough for him to have some success. But this year it is getting exposed. You just cannot continue to give up 50% shooting along with big offensive rebound numbers and hope to be successful.

At this point, ISU should just stop game planning and spend practice on the fundamental stuff. If ISU doesn't see significant improvement over the rest of the season in at least some of these areas, I really hope Prohm re-evaluates his staff and makes the necessary changes to address these weak fundamental areas.

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Did you watch the game? We were down 24 with 4 minutes to go when WVU hung it up. They shot 6-22 from 3 pt range and only made 50% of their free throws. It could and probably should been worse. West Virginia is a very tough team in Morgantown. Heck their 4–14 squad beat up last year by double digits there. It is interesting how quickly a great coach can turn his team from 4-14 to a #3 seed in the NCAA tournament without multiple resets.
WVU is shooting .443 from the field in the conference season. They shot .500 last night better than their average. They only shot .273 from three, but in the conference season they are only shooting .278. The difference is a rounding error. They shot .500 from the line but in the conference season they are shooting .623 - second worst in the league. This was not a wildly uncharacteristic game for them. If they had hit all of their averages they would have had about 4 fewer 2s, no more 3s and about 3 more FTs which would be a net loss of about 5 points from the score they actually got.

As far as calling off the dogs, the only player who came in who didn't play in the first half came in inside the last minute. They always play a lot of players and wear the other team down with their extremely physical play.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I'll be curious to see what changes SP makes in the offseason. He is going need to make changes to the coaching staff and somehow build a team that is competitive next year. In the interviews, Steve already looks aged and tired. I'm sure its a combination of his young kids at home and the job.

You are so right LOSING is really wearing on Prohm....And the season still has ten games left.....Next season the pressure to get to the ncaa tourney will be immense and unrelenting.....

CycloneJoe6

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2012
Iowa
One question I have:
Why won't Prohm even try to play Conditt and Young together? At this point in the season you have absolutely nothing to lose and Jacobson won't even be here next year. Like a previous poster said, any lineup with Jacobson in it is terrible offensively. What does he bring to the lineup that Solomon doesn't?

I, like many people on this board, am so sick of seeing Prohm not make changes / not experiment with different lineups when you are freaking 9-13. But then again, Prohm does this stuff even when we're good so it should come as no surprise.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
One question I have:
Why won't Prohm even try to play Conditt and Young together?
At this point in the season you have absolutely nothing to lose and Jacobson won't even be here next year. Like a previous poster said, any lineup with Jacobson in it is terrible offensively. What does he bring to the lineup that Solomon doesn't?

Zero outside shooting if you try to make one of them a "4."

Teams would just pack in on us even more and completely neutralized the goods things on offense we have with the Haliburton P&R and Bolton driving to the rim.

Imagining one of those two trying to guard a quick wing... not good.

We have three centers. We do not really have a viable 4.

CycloneJoe6

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2012
Iowa
Zero outside shooting if you try to make one of them a "4."

Teams would just pack in on us even more and completely neutralized the goods things on offense we have with the Haliburton P&R and Bolton driving to the rim.

Imagining one of those two trying to guard a quick wing... not good.

We have three centers. We do not really have a viable 4.
I was more trying to argue against a team like West Virginia, who start 2 true bigs who don't shoot 3's and space the floor. Even Texas played 2 true big most of the game.

Why not try to match their lineups?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
One question I have:
Why won't Prohm even try to play Conditt and Young together? At this point in the season you have absolutely nothing to lose and Jacobson won't even be here next year. Like a previous poster said, any lineup with Jacobson in it is terrible offensively. What does he bring to the lineup that Solomon doesn't?

I, like many people on this board, am so sick of seeing Prohm not make changes / not experiment with different lineups when you are freaking 9-13. But then again, Prohm does this stuff even when we're good so it should come as no surprise.

Well, because the best approach he can take is to dig in his heels and keep doing the same things. He's not real flexible.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
One question I have:

This has been asked many many times like everything else but do Conditt or Solo cover even an average 4 spot in today's college game?

A guy like THT in 'good' mode would fill a few voids for this team and likely make them possibly a tourney team.

• Agree
Reactions: quasistellar

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron