This is why Prohm must go........

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008
As one who has played and coached basketball, I find it extremely frustrating to see the following things from our players as (or before) they are happening: biting on head-fakes, not boxing out, not feeding the open man on the pick and roll, poor shot selection, not following the shot, missing free throws, undersized players getting stuffed (over and over again) under the basket, making the same mistake over and over again, overall poor decision-making.

It drives me nuts when sports fans or TV commentators make judgement on player/coach decisions AFTER they happen. But with this team you can literally predict the outcome seconds before the bad things happen. These are YOUTH BASKETBALL PROBLEMS. We we should not be seeing this at D1 level.

Are these basketball IQ problems? Discipline problems? Poor coaching?

I hate to say it, but even with losing two players to the NBA, this team has the physical talent to win some games. They just aren't disciplined on the basics of basketball, which comes down to coaching.

Cyfanisu

Mar 31, 2019
Whoever it is, break out the damn paycheck, because we already have the best coaches in the country in our league and we don’t need no Steve Prohm running this again.
Not only would we have to pay the rest of Steve’s buyout, but we would likely have to pay the buyout of a coach that we hire from somewhere else right?

clones8232

Jun 5, 2015
As one who has played and coached basketball, I find it extremely frustrating to see the following things from our players as (or before) they are happening: biting on head-fakes, not boxing out, not feeding the open man on the pick and roll, poor shot selection, not following the shot, missing free throws, undersized players getting stuffed (over and over again) under the basket, making the same mistake over and over again, overall poor decision-making.

It drives me nuts when sports fans or TV commentators make judgement on player/coach decisions AFTER they happen. But with this team you can literally predict the outcome seconds before the bad things happen. These are YOUTH BASKETBALL PROBLEMS. We we should not be seeing this at D1 level.

I hate to say it, but even with losing two players to the NBA, this team has the physical talent to win some games. They just aren't disciplined on the basics of basketball, which comes down to coaching.

those are all frustrating but they lost more than 2 players. This team is bad and you could see it in the first 3 games. It’s going to happen in this era of college basketball. Iowa state is not going to reload like a blue blood.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Not only would we have to pay the rest of Steve’s buyout, but we would likely have to pay the buyout of a coach that we hire from somewhere else right?

Check out the differences between donation and season ticket expectations between Iowa State and the rest of the Big 12

Iowa State
Kansas State (Note: Courtside seats don't even appear on chart, so we still demand much more from our fan base financially)
Texas Tech
Oklahoma State
Oklahoma
Texas (How crazy is it we're neck and neck with hands down the most financially healthy Big 12 institution?)

West Virginia, TCU, Baylor, and Kansas have been more difficult to find as they don't appear to make their season tickets public now that we're halfway through the season.

Bottom line, if we're demanding more from our fans than most every Big 12 school financially, we should probably be putting a better product on the court for a coach than we currently are.

Cyfanisu

Mar 31, 2019
Now or later we are going to pay.
Check out the differences between donation and season ticket expectations between Iowa State and the rest of the Big 12

Iowa State
Kansas State (Note: Courtside seats don't even appear on chart, so we still demand much more from our fan base financially)
Texas Tech
Oklahoma State
Oklahoma
Texas (How crazy is it we're neck and neck with hands down the most financially healthy Big 12 institution?)

West Virginia, TCU, Baylor, and Kansas have been more difficult to find as they don't appear to make their season tickets public now that we're halfway through the season.

Bottom line, if we're demanding more from our fans than most every Big 12 school financially, we should probably be putting a better product on the court for a coach than we currently are.
Good info and totally agree. But would JP rather save up for the Jack Trice multi-use entertainment district? Is that why we no longer get halftime shows?
I feel like we are stuck with Prohm for at least another year unfortunately.

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
Just looking at prohm career. His best year at Murray St was the first year he took over and got to the second round of the ncaa tourney. After that he won the CIT and got to the NIT.
Quite the accomplishment but is it better then taking a team full of nba players and beating Iona and Little Rock?

cdfree

Sep 5, 2011
Evanston, IL
I would be reasonably happy with TJ. Seems to know the program and be a serviceable coach and good recruiter. We aren't ever going to attract established, top tier coaches. We need to catch hold of someone just starting to realize their potential, like we did with Campbell and hold on. There might be better coaches available out there than TJ, but he's one that I am at least familiar with. I would trust that Pollard would cast a wide net on this one during the search phase, though.

We really don't have to. Any reasonably competent top 125 coach would run circles around Prohm. Recruiting is maybe another story--though remember that even McDermott got guys in... he just couldn't keep them due to his personal offensiveness.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Kelvin Sampson? He's been doing good work at Houston the last couple of years, same recruiting grounds, has coached in the big 12 before.

If you want to hire Sampson, you might as well go big. Get Rick Pitino. Would be an awesome hire.

Though, lumber yard would have to relocate to Ames .... for recruitment purposes.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I don't see it. I think he likes it at ISU.

I believe he realizes how passionate our fan base is basically in all sports. He has done a lot of good things with BB Alumni relations. I just hope he can get this BB coaching thing figured out. Players leaving early hasn't helped him at all. Plus the salary is pretty damn solid.

• Agree
Reactions: isu83

cdfree

Sep 5, 2011
Evanston, IL

Yup. In the college game these days, coaching is everything & the only thing. Parity is rampant. There are probably 30 teams that could win the tournament. We're not even close to being one of them.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yup. In the college game these days, coaching is everything & the only thing. Parity is rampant. There are probably 30 teams that could win the tournament. We're not even close to being one of them.

Just gotta get there!

Oh wait.