This is why Prohm must go........

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Next day thoughts after having some dwell time.

There's a lot of issues to talk about. Many of them don't have short term solutions. The one that does is rotations. Rotations this year are mindblowing. I understand the roster is flawed and leads to some of the rotation issues, but Coach Prohm suddenly looks like Fran this year with his rotations. We play 10 guys, we play guys that have no business being on the court. We sit guys that appear to be making strides.

If you look at BPM stats vs minutes distribution it's awful. In conference play 36% of our available minutes are being played by our worst four guys in terms of BPM. All four are below -2. Play should be based on performance not whatever it's based on right now. The rotation needs to get shorter and weighted towards the guys that are performing. Change the rotations to get a minutes distribution of something like below. It isn't going to fix all the flaws we have, but it's one thing that can change immediately. Numbers listed below are minutes proposed/conference play BPM/overall BPM.

Haliburton - 38/7.9/10.5 - this one is obvious, he's getting and will continue to get 95% of available minutes
Bolton - 38/4/2.4 - He's made great strides through the year. He's not TH, but with our roster flaws he needs to get TH minutes
Solo - 26/1.9/0.9 - I don't really care about starting vs not starting, but Solo has been our best most consistent big even with early season issues.
T Lew - 26/-1.2/2.9 - Early in the year his defense was awful. It's still not good, but it's improved. Cut the crap and let him play.
Tre Jackson - 26/1.4/-0.6 - This might be higher minutes than he deserves, but given the roster he's one of the few positive BPM guys

Note on those 5 first. Bolton, Solo and Tre have all improved their BPM as the year progressed. They have earned more time. T Lew has regressed, but I'm going to give him a pass based on the bizarre minutes he has received. I also think that 5 can be successful. Tre/TH and Bolton have all been shooting about 36% in conference play. We know T Lew can shoot. Solo running high ball screens for TH/Bolton with the rest of the group spacing is our best shot on the offensive end.

That leaves 46 minutes to spread among the rest.

Nixon will need to be in some of the minutes that TH and RB are out, but that is about it. 6/-2.1/-1.1
Conditt needs time on the floor, but in spots and situations he can be successful. 20/-3.3/4
When the situation isn't right for Conditt, Jacobsen gets some of those 20 minutes ~/-2.4/-1.6
ZG has progressed through the year and honestly there aren't better options 20/0.9/0.5
Grill has a lot of potential but he's just not ready 0/-7.6/-3.7

That rotational change would make a significant difference in my opinion and with most of our remaining games being against the bottom half it puts us in a position to finish well in my opinion. Will Coach Prohm make the change? I highly doubt it and in the end if that's his downfall that's on him.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Prohm isn't going anywhere involuntarily after this season. This is probably fine, though, as a lot of the candidates that get mentioned could use another year on the resume.
If he’s too stubborn to make lineup changes or make changes in his coaching staff, I don’t see him being willing to step down at any point.

Torks Pub

Dec 16, 2006
Ankeny

There's a lot of issues to talk about. Many of them don't have short term solutions. The one that does is rotations. Rotations this year are mindblowing. I understand the roster is flawed and leads to some of the rotation issues, but Coach Prohm suddenly looks like Fran this year with his rotations. We play 10 guys, we play guys that have no business being on the court. We sit guys that appear to be making strides.

If you look at BPM stats vs minutes distribution it's awful. In conference play 36% of our available minutes are being played by our worst four guys in terms of BPM. All four are below -2. Play should be based on performance not whatever it's based on right now. The rotation needs to get shorter and weighted towards the guys that are performing. Change the rotations to get a minutes distribution of something like below. It isn't going to fix all the flaws we have, but it's one thing that can change immediately. Numbers listed below are minutes proposed/conference play BPM/overall BPM.

Haliburton - 38/7.9/10.5 - this one is obvious, he's getting and will continue to get 95% of available minutes
Bolton - 38/4/2.4 - He's made great strides through the year. He's not TH, but with our roster flaws he needs to get TH minutes
Solo - 26/1.9/0.9 - I don't really care about starting vs not starting, but Solo has been our best most consistent big even with early season issues.
T Lew - 26/-1.2/2.9 - Early in the year his defense was awful. It's still not good, but it's improved. Cut the crap and let him play.
Tre Jackson - 26/1.4/-0.6 - This might be higher minutes than he deserves, but given the roster he's one of the few positive BPM guys

Note on those 5 first. Bolton, Solo and Tre have all improved their BPM as the year progressed. They have earned more time. T Lew has regressed, but I'm going to give him a pass based on the bizarre minutes he has received. I also think that 5 can be successful. Tre/TH and Bolton have all been shooting about 36% in conference play. We know T Lew can shoot. Solo running high ball screens for TH/Bolton with the rest of the group spacing is our best shot on the offensive end.

Nixon will need to be in some of the minutes that TH and RB are out, but that is about it. 6/-2.1/-1.1
Conditt needs time on the floor, but in spots and situations he can be successful. 20/-3.3/4
When the situation isn't right for Conditt, Jacobsen gets some of those 20 minutes ~/-2.4/-1.6
ZG has progressed through the year and honestly there aren't better options 20/0.9/0.5

That rotational change would make a significant difference in my opinion and with most of our remaining games being against the bottom half it puts us in a position to finish well in my opinion. Will Coach Prohm make the change? I highly doubt it and in the end if that's his downfall that's on him.

You can't put T-Lew and Bolton on the floor at the same time. That's akin to putting two matadors in the bull ring.

• Disagree
Reactions: bthebutcher

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

This is what's so frustrating. That two big lineup brings two of your lesser performing players onto the court all while it mitigates what Bolton and Haliburton can do. Going small and spreading the floor is the only way this team can win. Even if we still aren't shooting well at least Bolton and Haliburton may have some room. Even Nixon could then maybe do something. We aren't going to be good defensively no matter what so get the guys out there who can help the offense even if that means Lewis is standing the corner. I'm just unbelievably sick of watching a couple guys get huge minutes while Griffin and Lewis get them here and there.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Why would he step down? He would forfeit millions of dollars, no one is that dumb.
I agree. My point was I don’t see him as the type of guy who will step down (whether it’s to resign or take another job) while he’s failing. He’s already hesitant to make changes when things aren’t working. It would make it look like he’s quitting on something he can’t handle.

• Informative
Reactions: CyBobby

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010
TJ
Anthony Grant
Musselman
Steve Wojo
Butcher? Might be too old
Do you test the waters to see if someone like Scott Drew and/or Marshall are interested?
Mike Rhoades?
Craig Smith?
What about Chris Jans at New Mexico State? He's from Iowa. But he has a sketchy past.

Jeff Hornacek or bust for me unless we can get a proven name. Hard nosed Jerry Sloan acolyte. Runner up NBA coach of the year. Shooting coach to the stars. NBA finals experience. Already tested NBA coaching waters. I thought at one time he was interested. We need a splash hire while the fire is somewhat still hot.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
He's not BDK. I'm BDK.
C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
You can't put T-Lew and Bolton on the floor at the same time. That's akin to putting two matadors in the bull ring.

So you support the decision to not play T-Lew? Because Bolton is going to be on the court that majority of the minutes. If they can't play together then Coach's decision to sit T-Lew is a good one.

I'm not sure I completely understand your matador/bull ring analogy, but I assume it's a defense comment. T-Lew is not a good defender. I'm not going to defend him. He has improved and there are areas he is decent on that end and he's not nearly as lost as he was at the start. When T-Lew is in I typically focus in on him on the defensive end and while he still isn't good he's grown from early in the year when he wasn't playable.

Bolton isn't a great defender either, but we have a roster full of bad defenders to be honest. I'm not sure playing T-Lew and Bolton is really any different than T-Lew and Nixon. Nixon gets a pass because he came with a reputation as a defender but I wouldn't say he's held that up this year.

Which in my mind really comes down to scheme. I have no idea what our scheme is. It seems like it's changing constantly. That's a harder one to fix than rotation at this point in the season, but I do think shortening rotation will help in that area as well. Having more consistency in who is on the floor together helps build a defensive identity.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
If he’s too stubborn to make lineup changes or make changes in his coaching staff, I don’t see him being willing to step down at any point.

Look Prohm is NEVER GOING TO JUST STEPDOWN/QUIT....the only way that Steve Prohm is leaving is because he was shown the Door/ Fired......anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional....ISU is his destination job.....csp wants to be here umpteen years.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Jeff Hornacek or bust for me unless we can get a proven name. Hard nosed Jerry Sloan acolyte. Runner up NBA coach of the year. Shooting coach to the stars. NBA finals experience. Already tested NBA coaching waters. I thought at one time he was interested. We need a splash hire while the fire is somewhat still hot.

Would like but I believe he’s already said he has no interest in recruiting

• Informative
Reactions: Snydes

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
TJ
Anthony Grant
Musselman
Steve Wojo
Butcher? Might be too old
Do you test the waters to see if someone like Scott Drew and/or Marshall are interested?
Mike Rhoades?
Craig Smith?
What about Chris Jans at New Mexico State? He's from Iowa. But he has a sketchy past.

Whoever it is, break out the damn paycheck, because we already have the best coaches in the country in our league and we don’t need no Steve Prohm running this again.

Help Support Us

Become a patron