This is why Prohm must go........

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
LSU hit a 3 to go up 4 yesterday with 20 seconds left and immediately called timeout.

Opposing team hit a 3 5 seconds out of the timeout.

Obviously different characters, but Will Wade and Steve Prohm must’ve gone to the same school of basketball coaching.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
.....We knew what we were getting with Nixon. He shot 29% in conference Mountain West games two years ago. He shot 31% from 3 the year before. And we decided to tie up a scholarship for two years on him.....

And after going 0/7 yesterday Nixon is down to 23% from 3 this year. I'm hoping Steve has seen that Nixon is not a difference maker and starts giving more of his minutes to Jackson and Grill. Develop these guys for next year.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Just an absolute embarrassment. The fact that in 5 short years we've gone from having a preseason Top 5 team to...this...is astonishing. Imagine making 2 million dollars a year for what he does.

Losing like this to Texas Tech especially hurts. I get Prohm lost some talent. But look at Texas Tech. From last year's team they lost Jarrett Culver, Matt Mooney, Tariq Owens, Brandone Francis and Norense Odese. A little quick math-- that's something like 75 percent of their scoring gone. But wouldn't you know it, the "I lost a bunch of talent" excuse doesn't seem to apply to Beard. He somehow was able to manage. Yesterday was a reminder of what it looks like when a coach has a plan and coaches his players accordingly.is

Most gave Prohm a pass for being very average with the 2015-2016 team despite it having 6 NBA players on the roster. Most gave him a pass for the 2017-2018 team being abysmal. But enough is enough with this guy.

If you are embarrassed by a sports team that I would guess you don't play on or work for, then that is a you problem.

I would go so far as to say that you never played basketball for or worked for ISU Men's Basketball in any professional capacity ever.

This doesn't mean that people like you on here shouldn't be unhappy with this season or even be critical of the coach and the players, but the "embarrassed" and "suck" crowd just looks bad.

I also love the "won't be renewing our tickets" crowd.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
If you are embarrassed by a sports team that I would guess you don't play on or work for, then that is a you problem.

I would go so far as to say that you never played basketball for or worked for ISU Men's Basketball in any professional capacity ever.

This doesn't mean that people like you on here shouldn't be unhappy with this season or even be critical of the coach and the players, but the "embarrassed" and "suck" crowd just looks bad.

Those people are the best.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Been saying this for awhile - selfishly, this season is what I've been hoping for. Season tickets have been sold out the last 4-5 years I've been trying to get on them. Hopefully this season helps me get some next year.

Edit - This is not a post for you clowns that buy 3-4 different spots of 2-3 season tickets and then resell them for double there worth and refuse to give ownership to message me a deal.

Last edited:

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
And after going 0/7 yesterday Nixon is down to 23% from 3 this year. I'm hoping Steve has seen that Nixon is not a difference maker and starts giving more of his minutes to Jackson and Grill. Develop these guys for next year.
This is a good point. Jackson lacks confidence and hasn't been able to make the transition to the college 3. Nixon has all the confidence in the world , he’s just not a very good shooter. Take it a step further and start Griffin/Conditt up front.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The thing is though it's not even a very good class. It's highly ranked only because it has more players in it than most other teams. If you look at average player ranking we're more like 50th than top 25.

I think it's also not even top half of the B12.

Also I'm not sure what roles are being filled to fit CSP's plan, because it's unclear what CSP's plan is.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
LSU hit a 3 to go up 4 yesterday with 20 seconds left and immediately called timeout.

Obviously different characters, but Will Wade and Steve Prohm must’ve gone to the same school of basketball coaching.

That's actually a situation where calling a TO at least makes sense imo as there needs to be a defensive plan (even if it didn't work).

Calling a T.O. like mid-half when ISU needs some momentum generally makes no sense, especially vs. letting the opponent get gobs of points without calling one to regroup.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
One thing that REALLY bothers me about Prohm's style is the absolute lack of attention to rebounding. Man that gets under my skin. There are several game plans, like against Iowa, where he sends 3-4 guys back on transition defense. If you know anything about basketball offensive rebounding is a big deal. This allows for cheap baskets, can shift momentum, can run the clock further and can be absolutely demoralizing to the other team.

Do you realize our team leader for rebounds is our PG....Haliburton. He averages 5.9 rebounds per game. Jacobson has had 2 double digit rebounding games this season. Young and Conditt have combined for 0 double digit rebounding games. ISU has outrebounded opponents 7 times this season. ISU has outrebounded 3 power 6 conference opponents. Seton Hall by 3 (their big guy was hurt), OU by 10 and Tech by 8.

• Agree
Reactions: Lineup

clones8232

Jun 5, 2015

yeah, I can’t watch any more of Nixon. He is the most confident bad shooter I have ever seen. He needs to be playing 7 to 10 minutes per game.

on another note, are we ever going to try to throw it into the post? It doesn’t necessarily even have to be to score in the post, just to open up some driving lanes.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
yeah, I can’t watch any more of Nixon. He is the most confident bad shooter I have ever seen. He needs to be playing 7 to 10 minutes per game.

on another note, are we ever going to try to throw it into the post? It doesn’t necessarily even have to be to score in the post, just to open up some driving lanes.

If that happens and the opponent has to even think of them as a threat, how else are ISU's guards supposed to dribble around endlessly out top and then try to force it into a crowd?

acody

Nov 25, 2006

Agree. It's ok for a fan to critique the players and the coaches. Especially the coaches who are making tons of money. But if losing a basketball or football game or having a losing season causes you grief or embarrassment, then I suggest you find a greater purpose in your life such as doing something whereby you have some measure of control. Something such as serving or helping others in need through a charity or the long list of volunteer work available through a local church. It will give you a much greater piece of mind.

Reactions: Macloney

acody

Nov 25, 2006

Agree. It's ok for a fan to critique the players and the coaches. Especially the coaches who are making tons of money. But if losing a basketball or football game or having a losing season causes you grief or embarrassment, then I suggest you find a greater purpose in your life such as doing something whereby you have some measure of control. Something such as serving or helping others in need through a charity or the long list of volunteer work available through a local church. It will give you a much greater piece of mind.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006

This is the least knowledgeable take on hoops in quite sometime. The LSU TO is an end game situation where taking a TO after a made basket is common practice with under two minutes to go

The Prohm TO is in mid game and the purpose of it (in his own words) is so his team has a good vibe coming into the huddle. Yes, he takes the TO because he wants a positive vibe when the team comes to the huddle and he feels that a made basket accomplishes that. The Prohm TO also takes away momentum that could continue as a result of finally doing something good. For games at home, it also takes away any chance your crowd has of getting into the game. Yes, he takes his own crowd out of the game when he does this.

They really are not comparable practices of game management.
Not trying to bury Prohm or to keep Prohm- I will still come to games either way. Steve's performance will determine if he leaves or goes at some point.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
This is the least knowledgeable take on hoops in quite sometime. The LSU TO is an end game situation where taking a TO after a made basket is common practice with under two minutes to go

The Prohm TO is in mid game and the purpose of it (in his own words) is so his team has a good vibe coming into the huddle. Yes, he takes the TO because he wants a positive vibe when the team comes to the huddle and he feels that a made basket accomplishes that. The Prohm TO also takes away momentum that could continue as a result of finally doing something good. For games at home, it also takes away any chance your crowd has of getting into the game. Yes, he takes his own crowd out of the game when he does this.

They really are not comparable practices of game management.
Not trying to bury Prohm or to keep Prohm- I will still come to games either way. Steve's performance will determine if he leaves or goes at some point.

Twas a joke, sir, relax.

That being said, was it TCU Prohm called two timeouts under 30 seconds after making baskets and ended up giving up 5 points out of those timeouts? I’d take Dixon getting 30 seconds to discuss offense over giving Prohm 30 seconds to discuss defense every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
This is a good point. Jackson lacks confidence and hasn't been able to make the transition to the college 3. Nixon has all the confidence in the world , he’s just not a very good shooter. Take it a step further and start Griffin/Conditt up front.
I think in general the confidence thing is overblown. Every guy on the team has been dominating basketball since they were in 7th grade. I bet 80% think they’ll be in the NBA some day. Only times I’ll buy it is with guys like Grill/Griffin/Lewis who come in and get maybe 1 shot a game and hope to God they make it.

Hell, if I go shoot for the first time in 2 years and make a few I’m pretty sure I’m the second coming of Steph Curry.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Matt Thomas’ freshman year Hoiberg would always talk about confidence. You hear it out of all coaches. 3 pt shooters aren’t the most athletic because muscle memory and a clear head is what you need most. Confidence is part of that equation. There are a lot of examples of people being great shooters in practice but can’t make it in a game. It’s mental