The most awful beer

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Red White & Blue. I couldn't even drink that in college. You could pour it off the Sears tower into a glass on the street and there still wouldn't be any head.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
Flying Dog Doggy Style Pale Ale. Nothing else is anywhere close to as rancid as this beer is.

Either you had a bad bottle, or you don't like the taste of hops. I assume you don't particularly care for Sam Adams or Sierra Nevada either. This is actually a damn fine beer.

I'm a bit of a hophead, so I tend to stick with the Pale Ales. I'm trying to get my hands on some of the Surly Furious out of Minneapolis. In the mean time I brewed my own version (recipe developed by Surly for homebrewers) to hold me over.

There's nothing worse than a beer you can't taste.

explorer

Apr 16, 2006
Marion, IA
millstream oatmeal

My guess is that you don't like the darker beers, and I have several friends who don't. I actually very much enjoy Millstream Oatmeal, it's the best of what they brew. There was also a poster who stated Hub City is bad, I've actually drank theirs also and enjoyed it. However, I will say that I enjoy the darker beers, stouts, porters, etc., more than the lighter ones (especially in the winter).

The darker beers are definately an acquired taste though.

As far as the worst ever, Dubuque Star did it for me (don't know if they even brew it anymore). When I lived in the dorms in the late 80's and early 90's, I had a roommate who saved $1 for a case to get longnecked bottles of Dubuque Star, and it took him 3 weeks to GIVE it away!

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Sucks to be you. Maybe you're just a *****. I guess I'm biased since I built up a tolerance to Guinness. Last time I had it, I had 9 in 2 hours from the tap of Guinness

You are awesome.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
Sucks to be you. Maybe you're just a *****. I guess I'm biased since I built up a tolerance to Guinness. Last time I had it, I had 9 in 2 hours from the tap of Guinness

Technically Guinness isn't that strong. The difference is that the barley that is used has been toasted a lot longer, and provides a much darker color and robust taste. The nitrogen injection is key in providing the creamy head (edit: along with the oatmeal used in the sparging process), which provides mouthfeel and makes it seem thicker than it really is. Also, there is barely any hops in this beer as most of the bitterness is provided by what is essentially burnt barley.

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Must say I'm more of a wheat beer fan myself - Leinie's Honey Weiss, Boulevard Unfiltered, Blue Moon, etc. Also like just about any oatmeal stout.

Maybe it was just a bad bottle - it was passed around and all my friends thought it was horrible (and no, it wasn't "tampered" with - we had it during a beer tour at Old Chicago). But I've had Sierra Nevada before, and while it wasn't one of my favorites, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as that Flying Dog.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

I once drank two full-pint Irish Car Bombs in 2-3 minutes and about tossed them up - not because I thought they tasted bad or from top much alcohol, but because that had to have been about the heaviest beverage I had ever chugged in my life and my stomach didn't know how to handle that much of it that quickly.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
Must say I'm more of a wheat beer fan myself - Leinie's Honey Weiss, Boulevard Unfiltered, Blue Moon, etc. Also like just about any oatmeal stout.

Maybe it was just a bad bottle - it was passed around and all my friends thought it was horrible (and no, it wasn't "tampered" with - we had it during a beer tour at Old Chicago). But I've had Sierra Nevada before, and while it wasn't one of my favorites, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as that Flying Dog.

I'd say the Flying Dog Pale Ale is an extreme version of the Sierra Nevada... I didn't use to like heavily hopped beers. I had a bottle of Sprecher Pale Ale in college and couldn't hardly drink it because I thought it tasted like vomit at the time. Now it's one of my favorites when I'm in Wisco. When you're not used to it, it can really catch people off guard.

Nov 23, 2008
Norwalk via Marshalltown
back in the 2000-ish we bought something on a Keg Shop fire sale that was $3.99 a 24 bottle case ... I think it was a malt beverage by Captain Morgan ... tasted like alcholic maple syrup .. with fecal matter mixed in.

If someone knows the name of it let me know ... pure crap.

I vaguely remember this stuff too. Lived in Ames back in the early 2000's and I remember going over to a friends house to drink and play video games and he had picked up a case of this crap. Needless to say after opening four of them the rest got walked down to the apartment complex laundry room and left on a washing machine.

Gordyo5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 3, 2007
Glenwood, Ia
Gluek Ice. Yes, they make Gluek Ice. Drank a case the day of the 2007 Kent State game. ****** beer for a ****** coach.

Other terrible beers
-Milwaukee Special Reserve (no relation to Old Mil or Beast)
-LaCrosse Lager
-Northen
-Mountain Creek Lager

I had Milwaukee Select a couple years ago, I am assuming it is the same company because it isn't related to either of those either. Easily the worst beer I have ever tasted. I tried giving the rest of the 30 away with people taking one drink and giving it back. Couldn't even choke that stuff down after I was already gone.

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
back in the 2000-ish we bought something on a Keg Shop fire sale that was $3.99 a 24 bottle case ... I think it was a malt beverage by Captain Morgan ... tasted like alcholic maple syrup .. with fecal matter mixed in.

If someone knows the name of it let me know ... pure crap.

Pretty positive that's Captain Morgan Gold you're thinking of:
%21BHtio3wBmk%7E$%28KGrHgoOKjgEjlLmZyqPBJK,y6hEtg%7E%7E_1.JPG

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
You don't know **** beer until you have tasted Rhinelander or Old Nick. I think they filtered it through a pair of dirty underwear. The label on Old Nick shoud have been warnng enough.

AmesCloneFan

Aug 17, 2008
Ames
You win the thread.

That whole brewery is responsible for a crazy amount of awful beer brands.

I'd also nominate Camo, and Beer 30.

Agreed. Gluek Ice is the worst I've ever had. One of the few that I had one sip, hated it, tried another sip, and then thew it away. Tastes like liquid meat.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
2740195042_fc6ea0dd13.jpg

This is a liquor store chain in St louis, and they have their own beer..... If you couldnt guess god awfull

mac4cy

Jul 16, 2009
Urbandale
Hamms, or the beast. Maybe not so bad when your drinking them, but holy cow watch out the next day.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Technically Guinness isn't that strong. The difference is that the barley that is used has been toasted a lot longer, and provides a much darker color and robust taste. The nitrogen injection is key in providing the creamy head (edit: along with the oatmeal used in the sparging process), which provides mouthfeel and makes it seem thicker than it really is. Also, there is barely any hops in this beer as most of the bitterness is provided by what is essentially burnt barley.

Exactly. It's not that strong alcohol content wise, but it seems "thicker" than most beers. It's like what, 11 proof? pretty normal for a beer. Most people I know can only have three max though and i have no idea why. I think it's delicious.

I don't know what's wrong with me anyway.

Now, one strong beer is something like Dragon's Milk from Holland. I finished one 20 some ounce bottle of that..it's like 23 proof and didn't want anymore

Last edited: