The Leftovers

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
I think speculation is that at that moment you wither wished people to stay or go. The ones who people wanted gone, or felt that in that moment, left. Kevin wished to be with his family at that moment so they stayed. Nora was having a bad morning with her family and wished them gone. Hence the guilt. Maybe that is what the Guilty Remnant know. The leftovers sent them away.

I think that's a great theory...and would explain why Patty told Kevin right before she killed herself that she knew he understood why they were still there.

BTW, anybody catch the orchestral version of Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters" in the beginning of the episode in the scene where Jill was at the GR house with her mom and changed into white clothes?

I thought that was a pretty cool touch and a great version of the song.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
I think that's a great theory...and would explain why Patty told Kevin right before she killed herself that she knew he understood why they were still there.

BTW, anybody catch the orchestral version of Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters" in the beginning of the episode in the scene where Jill was at the GR house with her mom and changed into white clothes?

Yes I did mention to my wife that was Metallica, loved it. The music and acting on this show are top notch. I really like the main theme music too.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Yes I did mention to my wife that was Metallica, loved it. The music and acting on this show are top notch. I really like the main theme music too.

The title sequence is very good, it creeps me out every time. The second episode when it debuted I remember telling my wife "that is the creepiest ******* thing I've seen in a long time."

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
Never thought about it like that. So the Leftovers should all have guilt for wishing someone away. The GR realize this.

I'm wondering about the people leftover that didn't lose anyone. Did they wish someone unrelated to them away? I don't know. I'm guessing Reverend Jamison never wished anyone away.

Being leftover IMO just means that no one at that time "wished" you away. So the Reverend was a leftover simply because he was well liked and people in his vicinity at the time didn't mind his presence. It didn't matter if you were innocent or guilty, just that someone near you had a thought about how things would be easier without you...

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Being leftover IMO just means that no one at that time "wished" you away. So the Reverend was a leftover simply because he was well liked and people in his vicinity at the time didn't mind his presence. It didn't matter if you were innocent or guilty, just that someone near you had a thought about how things would be easier without you...

Hmm, I like this theory. Very good and seems plausible.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.

Thank you. It was driving me nuts that I couldn't think of what song that was. Now that I know, I can't believe it didn't come to me right away!

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I think it could illustrate that she was looking at her unborn child on the ultrasound thinking about the future (remember she was unsure about the baby), then presumably finds out that people are disappearing all over the world and the future is an uncertain mess, and that led to her not having her child. Possibly.
I think the fetus went poof. Kevin mentioned that she had changed that afternoon. Seeing a live fetus one minute and it disappearing the next would do that to you.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com

Or conversely that you wished someone away.

Also, who the heck is the guy shooting dogs? No license info etc.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

I think he was just an avid hunter who realized there was something wrong with the dogs and dealt with it.

BTW, what the heck happened to the crazy dog that the chief was trying to tame? Why is it all of a sudden ok? Some connection to the GR massacre/event?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

If most of the people in the GR wished someone away and they realize that is why the people departed, some of their ****ed up tactics make more sense.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
It's going to be tricky going forward. I was speculating with my wife that Laurie can leave with her son and they can wander around a dystopian US. Kevin and Nora start a family and Jill starts coping. I did not stick with Lost, and hope they can have coherent plot goal.

It's definitely a show I will continue watching.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006

I do too, it really fits the show.

That's the one thing about Boardwalk Empire that bums me out is the theme music doesn't fit the show.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006

Yeah no idea what's up with that guy. Although he's "crazy" like Kevin's dad in that he's hearing voices as well because he was talking to someone in the cabin before Patti killed herself.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I think the fetus went poof. Kevin mentioned that she had changed that afternoon. Seeing a live fetus one minute and it disappearing the next would do that to you.

Well yeah, but so would realizing millions of people just disappeared. We'll see, it just seems like a huge logic gap for them not to mention fetuses disappearing in any other episodes... also if a Fetus could disappear but a mother stay, what about the mothers who disappeared with fetuses that stayed?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Well yeah, but so would realizing millions of people just disappeared. We'll see, it just seems like a huge logic gap for them not to mention fetuses disappearing in any other episodes... also if a Fetus could disappear but a mother stay, what about the mothers who disappeared with fetuses that stayed?

Ew

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Okay, here is a question. Is the dog killer guy human or something more? I could see how the cops dad could have went crazy if beings who could choose to appear to whoever they wish. The thing that's gets me is, those two are presented as the viewpoint of reason, but they both think they are bad people. With the 2nd season, are they going to introduce new adversarys? The people in white have been neutralized for the most part I think.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Okay, here is a question. Is the dog killer guy human or something more? I could see how the cops dad could have went crazy if beings who could choose to appear to whoever they wish. The thing that's gets me is, those two are presented as the viewpoint of reason, but they both think they are bad people. With the 2nd season, are they going to introduce new adversarys? The people in white have been neutralized for the most part I think.

Everything with Kevin, his father, the dog hunter and the "voices" and blackouts has to be leading somewhere significant. Also, it sure seemed to me that last episode implied that the GR leader who cut her on throat is going to be the voice that talks to Kevin from here on out.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com

Patti while being kidnapped mentioned that there were aware of his presence, and researched him. They found nothing on him. So his origins is definitely strange. Still not sure that there is a paranormal aspect to the story or not. I don't believe that it was the rapture so I don't think he is an angel.

i think we will get a broader sense of the world they are in outside of Mapleton.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron