The CFP is garbage

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
The CFP Committee is basically setting it up so a win or loss from Alabama or Georgia doesn't really matter... Auburn at 10?.. They are doing that to basically bolster UGA and Alabama's resumes.

ESPN spent millions of dollars to broadcast the CFP Top 25 show each week and millions and of dollars to air the games. ESPN just so happens to own the SEC Network as well. I firmly believe there is a correlation between this and how the Committee sees the SEC teams. LSU at 19 last week? They lost to TROY! Again.. bolstering Alabama's already weak schedule and weak SEC play. Now they can say.. ohh well Bama beat #19 LSU!

Alot of the members on that committee are also South East guys.

It sucks there isn't really any good system.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
The rankings are meaningless with 3 games and conference championship left. I don’t understand why anyone cares at this point.
No, they're not meaningless. Next weeks rankings won't be recalculated from zero. They'll be applied to the existing ranking. I've heard several times that OU is ranked #5 because of thier "poor defense" so OU could continue to win and still not crack the top 4 because their defense, which has done nothing but win (except ISU) "isn't good enough"...

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
FSU and VT haven't played.

And all that FSU did was lose to both Bama and Miami. That doesn't account for a five spot rank disparity.

We got it... you hate Alabama.

If you can't see the difference between beating Florida State like a drum with Deondre Francois and a team struggling with the James Blackman version I can't help you.

Alabama isn't just beating the bums on its schedule... its destroying them. Miami had to hang on vs 1-8 North Carolina.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
No, they're not meaningless. Next weeks rankings won't be recalculated from zero. They'll be applied to the existing ranking. I've heard several times that OU is ranked #5 because of thier "poor defense" so OU could continue to win and still not crack the top 4 because their defense, which has done nothing but win (except ISU) "isn't good enough"...

They are meaningless because if Miami wins Saturday vs ND they are in. If Miami wins out they are in the CFP.

Same with Wisconsin.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
2014 TCU says “hi”.

A one loss ou team will not be left out. So many games left . . .

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Prior to the VT win Miami had 4 straight weeks of 1 possession games against teams either at or below .500. Alabama has outclassed nearly every single one of their opponents.
A lot of teams play down to the competition. For that reason I don't really like to weigh margin of victory or how convincing a team looked. My hunch is Alabama is better from watching both, but there are enough upcoming opportunities for both teams to prove how good they are, so just rank them based in their resume and move them when you have more data. Resumes suggest Miami and Alabama should be closely ranked in my opinion.
I always bring up the BCS title game in 2007. The same things were being said supporting a Michigan Ohio St. Rematch in the BCS title game. Luckily the game was at the end of the season so at least people figured Michigan had their shot. Still, everyone was saying that they could watch OSU, Michigan and Florida play and it was obvious that OSU and Michigan were the two best teams. All these experts were so horribly wrong.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Well, Alabama is the best team with anyone that has eyes and watched them play. Rankings be damned. OSU has 2 losses and ISU has 3 so that comparison seems strange.
It does bother me they are trying their best to exclude the B12 again this year.

I mean, they beat Florida State. And as we all know, the 3-5 Florida State Seminoles would most likely bet 7-1 if their all world QB didn't get hurt. I mean, he was able to put up a 17 QBR against Alabama. Think of the carnage he would have laid on the rest rest of college football.

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
Expand the playoffs to 8 teams, each P5 conference champ gets an automatic bid, remaining 3 spots are "wild cards" which are at large selections. A lot less drama, more money to be made, every conference is happy. But this won't happen because it makes too much sense.
And while we're at it, do away with the whole "releasing the CFP rankings in the middle of the season" BS. Just have one ranking system the whole year. Nobody bats an eye to the AP poll when it's first released, but the CFP poll comes out and everyone loses their minds.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
And while we're at it, do away with the whole "releasing the CFP rankings in the middle of the season" BS. Just have one ranking system the whole year. Nobody bats an eye to the AP poll when it's first released, but the CFP poll comes out and everyone loses their minds.

Because the CFP has more weight than the silly AP poll that is voted on by journalists who don't watch the games.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
The biggest problem with expanded playoffs has to do with bowl committees being able to cash-in on the additional games. The bowl system will cry foul if one of the more prestigious bowls gets left out of hosting a playoff game or if one particular site gets to host multiple games. The entire bowl committee would freak out if the NCAA were to setup regional quarterfinals, similar to how the basketball tournament is done, or worse, have the higher ranked team host the quarterfinal. The playoff committee, bowl system, & conference imbalance caused by realignment are making this championship process far more difficult than it needs to be.

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
Because the CFP has more weight than the silly AP poll that is voted on by journalists who don't watch the games.
Right. So why not have the CFP poll all season long? Beings that's the measure of teams getting into the playoff or a high-ranking bowl game, why not make it the standard?

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
They are meaningless because if Miami wins Saturday vs ND they are in. If Miami wins out they are in the CFP.

Same with Wisconsin.

So, an undefeated Wisconsin team would get in over a one loss Alabama team?

Obviously Alabama is an absolute monster. So, UGA beats them by one point in the SEC CG and the CFP leaves them out???

UGA
ND
Clem
Wisconsin

Whar Bama???

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
So, an undefeated Wisconsin team would get in over a one loss Alabama team?

Obviously Alabama is an absolute monster. So, UGA beats them by one point in the SEC CG and the CFP leaves them out???

UGA
ND
Clem
Wisconsin

Whar Bama???

In the slot you put "Clem"

A one loss Alabama losing to Georgia is getting in over a team who lost at Syracuse.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Right. So why not have the CFP poll all season long? Beings that's the measure of teams getting into the playoff or a high-ranking bowl game, why not make it the standard?

I doubt the big wigs that make up the committee would want to meet every week for 14 weeks

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

The point of the CFP poll starting later in the year is supposed to allow them to play out most of the season and get a better idea of who's who in college football that year. Then it's supposed to be less reliant on preseason rankings. Does it work out that way? Probably not.

Oh, and the reason they do the CFP rankings for as long as the do is so that ESPN can get people to watch the CFP rankings show on their network and have something to talk about.

• Agree
Reactions: ISpyCy

cyattack69

Oct 5, 2017
Why dont we just take the FCS committee and, have them pick for FBS. Then move FBS to FCS. FCS has been doing this for years...so they should have more experience and knowledge than FBS committee. It's all relative..football is football. #1 team in FCS can be chosen just like #1 team in FBS.

• Useful
Reactions: cyclones500

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Is this a real question?

Some people just really hate Bama.

Rankings and SOS aside, Bama is number one until someone beats them. That's just going to be the case every year.

My biggest concern is the possibility that both Georgia and Bama get into the playoff.

If team play each other in the conference championship, the loser should be out of the playoffs, without question. Even if it's Bama losing by 1 point.

Conference championship games should count as quarterfinals in that scenario. If you want to get to the 4 team playoff, you have to win your conference championship.

I feel the same way about a top ranked team that loses their conference championship in upset fashion. If you want to be in the playoff, don't lose your conference championship game.

Now that all the P5 conferences have a championship game, there shouldn't be any qualms about requiring a win to get into the top 4. Notre Dame will always be the fly in the ointment, but if they are ranked above a P5 champ, they can get their shot.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Why dont we just take the FCS committee and, have them pick for FBS. Then move FBS to FCS. FCS has been doing this for years...so they should have more experience and knowledge than FBS committee. It's all relative..football is football. #1 team in FCS can be chosen just like #1 team in FBS.

Yeah, that should work out easy. /s

The FCS has a playoff system because they do home games for the early rounds. There's a lot more money to be made for sponsors and networks to have bowl games for FBS and CFP playoff games at bowl game sites.

The FCS can also have more rounds because, to be honest, a lot less of their players are going to go on to the NFL. One of the biggest factors limiting the FBS playoffs is adding more games to the schedule. The more games they play, the more chances for potential future millionaires to have a career threatening injury. There's already concern with the added game for the 4 team playoff. Expanding to 8 or 16 teams would add that much more wear and tear on 18-22 year old players.

Some would suggest cutting back to 11 regular season games to compensate for the added playoff games, but the networks giving out huge television contracts don't want to lose those games and athletic departments don't want to give up home games either.

cyattack69

Oct 5, 2017
Yeah, that should work out easy. /s

The FCS has a playoff system because they do home games for the early rounds. There's a lot more money to be made for sponsors and networks to have bowl games for FBS and CFP playoff games at bowl game sites.

The FCS can also have more rounds because, to be honest, a lot less of their players are going to go on to the NFL. One of the biggest factors limiting the FBS playoffs is adding more games to the schedule. The more games they play, the more chances for potential future millionaires to have a career threatening injury. There's already concern with the added game for the 4 team playoff. Expanding to 8 or 16 teams would add that much more wear and tear on 18-22 year old players.

Some would suggest cutting back to 11 regular season games to compensate for the added playoff games, but the networks giving out huge television contracts don't want to lose those games and athletic departments don't want to give up home games either.

I dont disagree with anything you said.

My comment was more along the line of-- Everyone thinks the SEC is favored over other conferences, and the committee is influenced and biased. So...we use the FCS committee, and plug them into FBS...Not take FCS's way of doing things... Keep everything the same..just use FCS people to pick..as they would be removed from biased opinions.