The CFP is garbage

superiorcyclone

Dec 12, 2013
A good start would be that you have to win your conference to be in the playoff. The conference title would be part of the PLAYOFF. Of course ESPN would be against this because they would rather see a conference loser like Ohio State, Texas, Alabama, etc. in the playoff than a less popular team who actually won their conference.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I dont disagree with anything you said.

My comment was more along the line of-- Everyone thinks the SEC is favored over other conferences, and the committee is influenced and biased. So...we use the FCS committee, and plug them into FBS...Not take FCS's way of doing things... Keep everything the same..just use FCS people to pick..as they would be removed from biased opinions.

Ah. That makes more sense. It will never happen unfortunately, because one of products of the FBS process is making the committee feel special about themselves and providing interesting content for ESPN articles.

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
My question for the OP would be which year of the CFB do you think the best team in the nation was not in the playoffs? The whole point of these Week 10 rankings is to get everyone talking.

• Agree
Reactions: Incyte

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
My question for the OP would be which year of the CFB do you think the best team in the nation was not in the playoffs? The whole point of these Week 10 rankings is to get everyone talking.

TCU in the very first year of the playoffs. They only lost to Baylor (#5) on the road by 3 points. Turned around and destroyed #9 Ole Miss in bowl game 42-3. Ohio State was allowed to sneak in that year and beat everyone.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
There's an argument for TCU. But even if there wasn't, any time a #1 or #2 hasn't won it all is an argument to expand to include all five P5 champs. If a #3 or #4 can win the #5 would certainly have a shot.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Conference championship games should count as quarterfinals in that scenario. If you want to get to the 4 team playoff, you have to win your conference championship.

Then why exclude one of the P5 champs? And how do you do it?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Then why exclude one of the P5 champs? And how do you do it?

At this point we'd still have to depend on rankings for the 4 team selection.

Ideally would like them to expand to a 6 team playoff, with byes for the top 2 teams. That allows all P5 champions and one wild card. And it would only add two more games total.
Now determining if this wild card should be a non-P5 school, Notre Dame (in years they deserve in), or a conference runner up, is another question altogether.

I just think it's BS that Georgia could lose to Alabama and still get into the playoff for a potential rematch. Just win your conference. With only 4 spots in the playoff, no one who loses their conference championship game should be able to get in, regardless of how high they are ranked. It devalues the championship game.

• Agree
Reactions: CNECloneFan

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I just think it needs to go to 8 team playoff. Then, pretty much anyone valid to be in the discussion, as well as those who will be regardless if they should be, ahem tOSU, and then we would be pretty much set. I do think the champion of each P5 should be in, regardless of record.

• Agree
Reactions: Rex O Herlihan

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The playoff was a great idea, but they should have never gotten rid of the computers.

Massey composite ratings have the same top 4, but Wisconsin at 5, Penn St. at 6, Miami at 7, etc.

I actually think the computers have it worse than the CFP ranking.

https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

I think like the NCAA tournament selection committee, these guys are doing a pretty good job. I have absolutely no complaints on their list this year.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
My question is...Just 2 weeks ago the analysts were saying that ISU is 14th because we had 2 bad losses to Iowa and Texas.

So Iowa beats/murders OSU by 31 points...OSU drops 2 spots... So, now loosing to Iowa isnt a bad thing? I dont understand.
The analysts didn't vote.

The analysts are there to fill a time slot and help ESPN make money. Don't get angry for falling for it.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I had some respect for you Curt. It's gone now. Goodbye Curt's respect.

My teams:
1. ND
2. UNI
3. ISU

I'm very excited to watch this weekends matchup between ND and Miami. ND has quite possibly the most dominating ground game in college football between Adams and Wimbush. Couple that with the fact Miami has had a cakewalk schedule, I hope the Irish take them to pound town. Population: Miami football team and Curt.
You like ND so you should probably just die. :)

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
They are meaningless because if Miami wins Saturday vs ND they are in. If Miami wins out they are in the CFP.

Same with Wisconsin.

That's the only way Wisconsin will be in and like 2015 Iowa it would be by a hair.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyballzz

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
And while we're at it, do away with the whole "releasing the CFP rankings in the middle of the season" BS. Just have one ranking system the whole year. Nobody bats an eye to the AP poll when it's first released, but the CFP poll comes out and everyone loses their minds.
I don't. I'm smart.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
That's the only way Wisconsin will be in and like 2015 Iowa it would be by a hair.
OSU losing did Wisky no favors. They needed to beat a dominating OSU team in the B10 Championship to bolster their resume'.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Some people just really hate Bama.

Rankings and SOS aside, Bama is number one until someone beats them. That's just going to be the case every year.

My biggest concern is the possibility that both Georgia and Bama get into the playoff.

If team play each other in the conference championship, the loser should be out of the playoffs, without question. Even if it's Bama losing by 1 point.

Conference championship games should count as quarterfinals in that scenario. If you want to get to the 4 team playoff, you have to win your conference championship.

I feel the same way about a top ranked team that loses their conference championship in upset fashion. If you want to be in the playoff, don't lose your conference championship game.

Now that all the P5 conferences have a championship game, there shouldn't be any qualms about requiring a win to get into the top 4. Notre Dame will always be the fly in the ointment, but if they are ranked above a P5 champ, they can get their shot.
I have no problem with the loser of a conference championship game getting in as long as there isn't a rule against it. Should there be that rule? Different argument.

The top 2 teams in the country could be in the same conference.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
You literally didn’t read his post. Your response is a straw man.

Yes, I literally did...literally.

You obviously have trouble with the linkage (and use a the tired "straw man" excuse) so I'll try to explain it for you.

Tre states...(in response to the example of Washington)

I don't care about conferences. The Pac 12 stinks. They shouldn't have any team in any sort of a playoff.

Give me the best x teams.

The point is that in the absence of a head to head game *or* the teams trading schedules we can't truly know who is better. For some teams it's obvious, Georgia would blow KU off the field. For others it gets tricky. When you disqualify a team because their conference "stinks" you replace them with a team whose conference presumably doesn't stink. You've now weighted conferences yet Alabama doesn't play a Pac schedule and Washington could very well be undefeated with Alabama's schedule. The B1G West kind of stinks but if Wisconsin becomes the B1G Champion they absolutely should have a chance to play in a playoff because through no fault of their own they didn't play ND's or Clemson's schedule.

We'll never know if TCU could've won it all in 2014 but we do know that neither the #1 or #2 won it. And we also know that TCU had a legit case to be that 4th team who won it all.

A CFP that selects four teams while there are five P5 conferences is a failure. It fails to eliminate the uncertainty that it was designed to solve.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron