THE Breece Comparison

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Seriously. It’s like watching Breece on black and white or grainy color. It’s eerie. Figured it was worth it’s own thread.

Gale Sayers at 6’0” 198 in the late Sixties. Adjusted for time and advances in nutrition and S&C, essentially the same as Breece at 6’1” 215” now.

Plus, Nebraska and Kansas roots line Breece has.

‘nuff said? If not, watch the video.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Seriously. It’s like watching Breece on black and white or grainy color. It’s eerie. Figured it was worth it’s own thread.

Gale Sayers at 6’0” 198 in the late Sixties. Adjusted for time and advances in nutrition and S&C, essentially the same as Breece at 6’1” 215” now.

Plus, Nebraska and Kansas roots line Breece has.

‘nuff said? If not, watch the video.

Gale Sayers had elite speed, which is one of the things that set him apart from other backs. Breece is fast, but doesn't have elite speed. Sayers was a sprinter.
Not sure how fast Sayers was in track. He was sure elusive and fast on the football field though.

I did find this: " Still a legend in track & field Nebraska annals. Gale Sayers jumped an astounding 24 feet 10 inches in the long jump in 1961, the longest jump in the nation that year by a high school athlete and the Nebraska state record for nearly four decades." https://nebhalloffame.org/gale-sayers-omaha-central/

Even being compared to Gale Sayers by some is quite an honor. As I said in a game several weeks ago (I think maybe against OU) I'll repeat that I saw similarities between Breece and Walter Payton/Gale Sayers. Another person saw some of Barry Sanders in him. That's pretty high company!!

We can just enjoy him now and say we are glad he is a Cyclone. Maybe some day future others will compare some new stud running back to the great Breece Hall!

Last edited:
Reactions: Aclone

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Not sure how fast Sayers was in track. He was sure elusive and fast on the football field though.

I did find this: " Still a legend in track & field Nebraska annals. Gale Sayers jumped an astounding 24 feet 10 inches in the long jump in 1961, the longest jump in the nation that year by a high school athlete and the Nebraska state record for nearly four decades." https://nebhalloffame.org/gale-sayers-omaha-central/

Even being compared to Gale Sayers by some is quite an honor. As I said in a game several weeks ago (I think maybe against OU) I'll repeat that I saw similarities between Breece and Walter Payton/Gale Sayers. Another person saw some of Barry Sanders in him. That's pretty high company!!

We can just enjoy him now and say we are gald he is a Cyclone. Maybe some day the future others will compare some new stud running back to the great Breece Hall!

I saw something that said he was a 9.3 sprinter, but that was 100 yards, not meters. That would figure out to a 10.17 100 meters.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Watching the slow-motion videos, I can see the similarities with the elusiveness between the two backs. Sayers was incredibly fast once he broke free.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
The subtle shiftiness from both of them is very similar.

Thank God Breece doesn’t carry the ball like Sayers did, that’d be stressful watching every play.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
The Kansas Comet was one hell of a ball player. If Breece can approach his performance over his career, it will be something. Here's hoping he does. Both were born in Wichita...hummm.

(Need to come up with a cool nickname for Breece too)

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
The Kansas Comet was one hell of a ball player. If Breece can approach his performance over his career, it will be something. Here's hoping he does. Both were born in Wichita...hummm.

(Need to come up with a cool nickname for Breece too)

Tim Brando came up with what I thought was an OK one. "They call me the Breece." Probably a little too long to stick.

Reactions: heitclone

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
I like the Sayers comparison. Another great old school comparison is Eric Dickerson. 6-3, 220 lbs. similar upright, gliding runner who everyone thought wasn’t that fast until they got burned. Watch these highlights and imagine it’s no. 28 instead of 29

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
My dad thinks he's just like Duane Thomas from the Cowboys. I think he's most like Leveon Bell with better top end and elusiveness. Earl campbell as well, maybe even a little bit of Sweetness's toughness?

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I like the Sayers comparison. Another great old school comparison is Eric Dickerson. 6-3, 220 lbs. similar upright, gliding runner who everyone thought wasn’t that fast until they got burned. Watch these highlights and imagine it’s no. 28 instead of 29

I don't think anyone ever thought Eric Dickerson was slow. He had a reputation for speed coming out of high school, where he ran a 10.3 100 meters.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: Aclone and Peter

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Another big speed back was Markus Dupree from OU. It was said he ran a 4.3 40 at 6-2 225. He ran a 9.7 in the 100 yard dash in high school, which equates to around 10.4 in meters.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron