Tamin Lipsey recruiting thread

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Not sure why Lipsey getting an offer from NU is a big deal? It's Fred's job to recruit the best talent available and Lipsey is one of the best from MW, not getting the offer would be more surprising or even concerning. Lipsey is going to have 20+ HM offers by the end of the summer so NU is just one of many (and please no new thread for ol"Roy's likely upcoming offer). I am sure Xavier Foster's offer or re-conformation of a previous offer will be made public soon. Fred is making 4 million a year, it would be negligent for Hoiberg to not extend the offer, for any top recruit in any of the Neb's connecting states.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Not sure why Lipsey getting an offer from NU is a big deal? It's Fred's job to recruit the best talent available and Lipsey is one of the best from MW, not getting the offer would be more surprising or even concerning. Lipsey is going to have 20+ HM offers by the end of the summer so NU is just one of many (and please no new thread for ol"Roy's likely upcoming offer). I am sure Xavier Foster's offer or re-conformation of a previous offer will be made public soon. Fred is making 4 million a year, it would be negligent for Hoiberg to not extend the offer, for any top recruit in any of the Neb's connecting states.
What don’t you get?
It exemplifies the negative of Hoiberg coaching UNL.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
For what it’s worth I spoke with some Ames wrestlers at districts this year and asked a couple of them where Tamin was going to school. They both said ISU because he really appreciated Prohm being the 1st to offer him. It meant a lot to him.

I'm laughing because wrestlers gave you that information on a basketball player.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Being in first with Lipsey is certainly a nice advantage, though who knows how it ends up impacting a decision that's a couple years down the road. Still, ISU and Prohm are going to be able to maintain a close relationship with him much easier than anyone else. Let's hope by that time Monte is still going strong in the NBA, Haliburton is in the league, and Jackson is building a nice NBA resume. This kid is legit and if anything could probably stand to take over some games and not defer so much.
We'll see what happens if/when the blue bloods start handing out offers.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Every true freshman of the Hoiberg regime...

Palo = Iowa (originally a walk-on, though)
Godfrey = Minnesota
Railey = Oregon
Ejim = New Hampshire (at least for prep)
---
Gibson = Michigan
Sledge = New York
---
Niang = Massachusetts
Mitrou-Long = Nevada (at least for prep)
Okoro = New York
Dorsey-Walker = Michigan
---
Thomas = Wisconsin
Morris = Michigan
---
Custer = Kansas
Tsalmpouris = Greece

So it looks like Bubu was the only high school guy that Fred got out of Iowa.

Does he even count as a walk-on? I thought went on scholarship at some point.

• Informative
Reactions: TurbulentEddie

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Hokfan at work was salivating over the fact that kNU is recruiting Lipsey & how Cyclone fans are now starting to hate Hoiberg. I told him basically what Jansma said in an earlier post. He seemed disappointed that I wasn't jumping on the "hate Hoiberg" train. I hate kNU, wasn't thrilled with Hoiberg's move to kNU, but I will ALWAYS be thankful for what he did for ISU basketball when he was a player, and resurrecting our McDormant program as a coach. I watched FOUR Hoiberg recruits combine to score 51 points last night in the frikin' NBA (the highest level of Basketball in the WORLD) & loved every minute of it - a fact that I reminded ignorant Hokfan at work today. I was just about to ask him if he had a chance to obtain financial advice from Morgan-Stanley (supposedly, that's where former Hok players go when they get done with college) but he changed the subject pretty quickly.

TurbulentEddie

Nov 16, 2012
Madison, WI
What don’t you get?
It exemplifies the negative of Hoiberg coaching UNL.
What makes the UNL part any more special in this case? You don't think Hoiberg uses his Ames ties to go after Lipsey if he's at some other D1 school? The blue bloods may be calling soon enough.

This kind of HS talent in Iowa is relatively rare. Look at this past year's great crop of freshmen and where ISU historically gets its top talent from and be glad he's not at Wisconsin, Marquette, Illinois, etc.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Fred won't be there when the kid goes to college. Also the draft rules will be different by then if the kid is that good and in the top 20 players he will just go pro.

Is the one year mandate supposedly axed now?
As for Fred, I’ll bet you he will still be there. The NBA maybe wasn’t his true ‘fit’ , imo.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
What makes the UNL part any more special in this case? You don't think Hoiberg uses his Ames ties to go after Lipsey if he's at some other D1 school?.
Besides the fact Hoiberg, someone Lipsey looks up to, is there? Does there need to be more than that?

There would have been negative impacts to Fred coaching any P5 program and we should root against him like any other non-ISU coach that frequents the same recruiting grounds. It would have been minimized at place like KU or UNC in which he adds no recruiting value. No better example than UNL and Lipsey. The KU or UNC types would have a chance with a top recruit regardless of coach, whereas Nebraska has a chance because of Fred.

Last edited:

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
For what it’s worth I spoke with some Ames wrestlers at districts this year and asked a couple of them where Tamin was going to school. They both said ISU because he really appreciated Prohm being the 1st to offer him. It meant a lot to him.
It means jack squat.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
What makes the UNL part any more special in this case? You don't think Hoiberg uses his Ames ties to go after Lipsey if he's at some other D1 school? The blue bloods may be calling soon enough.

This kind of HS talent in Iowa is relatively rare. Look at this past year's great crop of freshmen and where ISU historically gets its top talent from and be glad he's not at Wisconsin, Marquette, Illinois, etc.
I'd rather have Hoiberg trying to recruit Iowa kids to Nebraska than to UCLA or somewhere actually good. Then we might actually have a problem.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Wow! So basically, he's not coaching at college after this stop, but NBA is very much on the table. Keep an eye out for a Minnesota Timberwolves opening or Indiana Pacers opening in 2021 and he's gone.
I feel the Timberwolves ship has sailed. It's twice now he has taken another position right before the T-Wolves opening became available. I think the T-Wolves pull the trigger on Dave Joerger and he is around for a while because he is a really solid coach (bit of a **** though from what I hear). If Ryan Saunders gets the nod then, yes, the T-Wolves position is very much in play for 2021 haha

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I'm not sure who here is rooting for him???
But are you sure everyone is rooting against him? Not rooting for isn’t necessarily the same as rooting against.

I appreciate the coping mechanism that is questioning why Fred recruiting Lipsey is noteworthy, but the field just got stronger.

• Funny
Reactions: MartinCy

Help Support Us

Become a patron