Tamin Lipsey Commits

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
TJ still isn't the Fred. Keeping in mind the complaining when he was hired, I don't think many people are going to have shrines to Coach Otzelberger in their closet like they do for you-know-who.

You have a point......sort of. Because keep in mind that many of those who have shrines for you-know-who are the same people who wanted TJ to have the spot 6 years ago after you-know-who left for Chicago. And are the same people who wanted Prohm fired the same day he was hired. Which is why I stated you will never again see a 9-9/23-12 season defined as an underachieving, unacceptable disappointment as long as TJ is at the helm.

Take for example me. He wasn't my first choice........but here he is. And I am certainly not going to drop the hammer for a 23 win season regardless of how it plays out. I'm not going to act like a constipated 12 year old refusing to get regular like those who did suffering after almost any and all of Prohm's wins. TJ does good................it's good.

Reactions: Carlisle Clone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
You have a point......sort of. Because keep in mind that many of those who have shrines for you-know-who are the same people who wanted TJ to have the spot 6 years ago after you-know-who left for Chicago. And are the same people who wanted Prohm fired the same day he was hired. Which is why I stated you will never again see a 9-9/23-12 season defined as an underachieving, unacceptable disappointment as long as TJ is at the helm.

Take for example me. He wasn't my first choice........but here he is. And I am certainly not going to drop the hammer for a 23 win season regardless of how it plays out.

I think TJ is going to be coaching against a ghost for awhile now. Maybe forever.

I have been informed on here several times we should have won a national title in 2014 if not for the rotten bit of luck with Georges' foot. Not only that, despite the UAB setback, Fred was about to launch a dynasty in Ames that would have replaced Kansas as the dominant team in the Big 12 for the next generation.

The more mundane reality of the 2014 season and the likely outcome had Fred stayed (definitely a good program, but probably not going to fulfill our most erotic desires) would have likely been more modest.

But doesn't matter. Prohm and TJ weren't coaching against real Fred, they were coaching against Fred-as-Coach K.

I don't know, maybe I am wrong. Maybe the Prohm era and hitting rock bottom provides a "break" from that past and a truly new start for TJ and his staff. Maybe TJ has enough Fred luster on him that people give him slack. But I do think the people who were up in arms about Prohm from Day 1 and didn't like the process of hiring TJ were pretty much the same population. I think there are some people who just find something to complain about.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I think TJ is going to be coaching against a ghost for awhile now. Maybe forever.

I have been informed on here several times we should have won a national title in 2014 if not for the rotten bit of luck with Georges' foot. Not only that, despite the UAB setback, Fred was about to launch a dynasty in Ames that would have replaced Kansas as the dominant team in the Big 12 for the next generation.

The more mundane reality of the 2014 season and the likely outcome had Fred stayed (definitely a good program, but probably not going to fulfill our most erotic desires) would have likely been more modest.

But doesn't matter. Prohm and TJ weren't coaching against real Fred, they were coaching against Fred-as-Coach K.

I don't know, maybe I am wrong. Maybe the Prohm era and hitting rock bottom provides a "break" from that past and a truly new start for TJ and his staff. Maybe TJ has enough Fred luster on him that people give him slack. But I do think the people who were up in arms about Prohm from Day 1 and didn't like the process of hiring TJ were pretty much the same population. I think there are some people who just find something to complain about.
Message boards may be too intense for you.

• Dumb
Reactions: Sigmapolis

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

It's been repeated by a few posters that Fred would have gotten ISU to a Final Four.

Even watching this year's tourney with kind of a hodge podge of seeding with Covid, it was shown that generally, defense is important to getting there.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Oh, I agree with all of this here. That OSU team was excellent. Going 2-0 against was an accomplishment. I just don't see that as somehow enhanced by Naz's prayer going in. I see it as more, "we needed a miracle to win that game, as cool of a moment as it was, and we were that close to going 0-2 against them (and 9-9 in the Big 12)."

The play before Naz's shot was Phil Forte missing a free throw that would have made the lead four and essentially ended the game. Forte was a career 88.2% free throw shooter. Naz's shot was maybe like a, what, 10%, 15% shot at that distance when planting from a sprint? That confluence of events feels more luck (if fun!) than skill. If Forte makes or Naz misses, then we would have been backing into the Big 12 tournament on a three-game losing streak.

I am thinking more about games like the one against an inferior Northern Iowa squad. They got down by as much as 18 early in the second-half and had to claw their way back to win in overtime. Screwing around like that can bite you in the end. Yes, that comeback was memorable, but we should have just handled UNI with confidence.
This is big boy basketball. Teams that make the NCAA tourney like Oklahoma St and UNI aren't just going to roll over for you.

It amazes me that people think just because a team is better that every game should be a 20 point blowout. That's not how it works, especially in the Big 12. Back to the original point, good teams find a way to win those games like the Naz buzzer beater, bad teams find a way to lose.......like we just saw with Steve Prohm this year.

If that doesn't convince you just remember, Loyola needed a couple prayers to make the Final 4 and Virginia's National Championship team needed 2 miracles to get past Purdue and Tech that year.

I've said this a million times, good teams like Baylor this year are good for 10 automatic wins in conference, bad teams like Iowa State good for 10 automatic losses. It's what happens in those other 8 games where the score is within 5 points thst determines where you finish in thestandings. .

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
This is big boy basketball. Teams that make the NCAA tourney like Oklahoma St and UNI aren't just going to roll over for you.

It amazes me that people think just because a team is better that every game should be a 20 point blowout. That's not how it works, especially in the Big 12. Back to the original point, good teams find a way to win those games like the Naz buzzer beater, bad teams find a way to lose.......like we just saw with Steve Prohm this year.

If that doesn't convince you just remember, Loyola needed a couple prayers to make the Final 4 and Virginia's National Championship team needed 2 miracles to get past Purdue and Tech that year.

I've said this a million times, good teams like Baylor this year are good for 10 automatic wins in conference, bad teams like Iowa State good for 10 automatic losses. It's what happens in those other 8 games where the score is within 5 points thst determines where you finish in thestandings. .

The most recent team was impressively, like historically bad in close games.

I don't know how they managed to do it. So many games where like 1-2 more good possessions on both ends of the floor and ISU wins, and they never seemed to find a way to make it happen.

Oh well. That is why Prohm is out.

Your last point just reminds me/impresses on me how random this all is really. Teenagers and young adults playing basketball in weird gyms, with weird refs, with weird crowds, all coming after what is a pretty short season and then heading into a single-elimination tournament. All sorts of crazy stuff is bound to happen.

Don't get me wrong, all of that is fun, but it's also like hammering a RNG.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Are there any limits on how much access Lipsey has to the facilities? I’m guessing he’d be free to workout with the players whenever coaches aren’t a part of it. Seems like a somewhat unique situation.

• Informative
Reactions: t-noah

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Im pretty sure Barnes was at the facility all the time before coming to UNC.

That’s what I was thinking about. I’m sure Lipsey will be similar. Just curious if they can legit hand him a keycard to get into Sukup or if he just has to “find” his way in.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
That’s what I was thinking about. I’m sure Lipsey will be similar. Just curious if they can legit hand him a keycard to get into Sukup or if he just has to “find” his way in.

I’m guessing he has to find his way in, which should be easy.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I mean, we were a broken foot away from having a very good shot at a natty in 2014, so in that way alone, it doesn't compare to 2019. That doesn't mean 2019 was a bad season, but making it to the sweet sixteen and losing by 5 to the eventual champion without our best player is a hell of a lot more impressive than losing to an 11 seed in the first round. We were not title contenders in 2019.
Again, we have to remember the UConn game itself. Niang out, Hogue is moved into a prominent role. He scored 34, which is more than Niang’s career high. And UConn still controlled that game.
Of course ISU had a chance, but we got kind of a miracle game from Hogue and made a few runs, but UConn always had an answer. I really don’t think ISU even wins that game vs UConn, and would probably have been underdogs every game after.