Tailgating Policy Email

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
Posted in the other tailgating thread, maybe this did deserve its own.

I got an email from JP about tailgating listing out issues/challenges of the parking staff:

JP said:
· vehicles and/or tailgate parties taking up too many parking stalls;
· large groups blocking the drive lanes and preventing other vehicles from navigating the rows of parking stalls;
· individuals yelling and/or gesturing to others (who arrive after them), and refusing to move so others can find an open parking stall.

Be warned, if you don't comply, stricter policies are coming...

Reactions: CyBobby

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Our group has talked about these issues countless times over the past several years.
One thing we wish would happen is for all the aisles to each lot be open, not just one. This encourages people to stay in the aisle when they're driving rather than cut across lanes to get to a spot. It also discourages groups from going to the end of the an aisle (next to the main driveway that's closedwith a barricade) and parking across from each other and claiming all the aisle space for their own.
If you drive in an "up" lane, you should be able to drive "down" the next one without getting stuck because the exit is blocked. You should be able to drive out, and come in a different aisle to find a spot.

We know the result of changing the free access because we all can't be nice to our tailgate neighbors is assigned parking spots OR you park in the order you arrive. If that happens, they should eliminate the walkways and adjacent cross-hatched spaces to make it fair for all. I just don't want that to happen.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I'd like to see additional lines painted to show the depth of a spot, not just the width. Maybe just straight lines at one car width to designate the driving lane that grills, chairs, and other stuff must stay out of.

Reactions: ripvdub

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I'd like to see additional lines painted to show the depth of a spot, not just the width. Maybe just straight lines at one car width to designate the driving lane that grills, chairs, and other stuff must stay out of.

People just need to respect each other. Those there early need to be ready to allow folks to open spots and those arriving later need to be patient and allow those folks to move not just plow thru.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Not sure what is more annoying..

Group who takes up way more spots than they have passes and makes it hard to drive through...
or
Guy who arrives 40 minutes before kick and tries navigating through the parking lot to park a little closer after he drives past several open spots...

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Not sure what is more annoying..

Group who takes up way more spots than they have passes and makes it hard to drive through...
or
Guy who arrives 40 minutes before kick and tries navigating through the parking lot to park a little closer after he drives past several open spots...

That's on said guy's wife. I guarantee it.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
With UNI and Iowa the first 2 games, I think JP is trying to set clear expectations to avoid problems.

IMO they should alow people to park in any isle within their assigned paved lot up to 2 or 3 hours before game time. Allowing those who arrive early to park t
together or along the perimeter of the lots to grab green space.

After that window the parking guys should start pushing all cars down the isle closest to Jack Trice, fill that isle and then move to the next isle. This would allow people to have their tailgates fill into the isle without impeding car traffic.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
K-state has a clear "must stay clear" line painted and it helps keep things opened.
I agree with other posters, wish folks could just be kind and reasonable. You have a long box, extended cab pickup....you can't then tack on a seating/tent area behind it and act annoyed you have to move so car can pull through.

• Dislike

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
We moved from grass lots to pavement last year and was really disappointed with what a cluster**** it was.

Between people parking wherever they wanted and setting up grills in the middle of the roadway. It was very difficult to even drive to a spot.

• Agree