Survivor: David vs Goliath

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Haven't seen a thread for this season yet. Thoughts so far on the season? Taking me awhile to get into this cast so far. About the only strong feelings I have for any of them is that Natalie is a cranky old B* that can be pretty bossy. She probably hangs around for a bit longer because she is an easy vote out but she is quite annoying.

Been a crazy start with a medical evac to a freak accident 1st episode then another gal having to leave on her own due to injury. Probably going to take me a few more episodes to get a read on who is going to go far this season. Seems like a lot of people are already playing the game pretty hard from the start and that can work for or against you this early before a merge. I do like that new twist with the idol "negator" or whatever you want to call that but only way for that to be effective is to keep your mouth shut that you have it and know that someone has an idol that you can successfully flush out and blindside. Either that new twist is going to be a big thud or provide an epic tribal at some point.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
Natalie does seem pretty bossy but I feel like they are really pushing that persona so I wouldn't be surprised if she goes longer than we think. They like to make you think they are doing one thing and then they do another. I like the new nerdy guy. Very intelligent and funny. He's the new Cochran. Kind of surprised they didn't send home one of the "shomance" couple when they had the chance.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Natalie will stay around a long time. She is not thread to win anything. So why vote her out now. The move last week by the guy (can't remember his name) was terrible. Really no reason for him to do it. You just don't make big moves this early. Especially ones that make you a minority in the tribe he is in now.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
That was my thought, it's not like any of these people you are voting off right now are going on the jury so they really aren't "big" moves yet because there isn't a jury right now that is taking notice of the moves you are making. Never seen someone win this game because of a move they made in the first 5 votes. It's usually post-merge when your timely moves matter the most.

I've never got the point of why people this early don't see the value more in keeping majority numbers in your favor or keeping your tribe the strongest for challenges. You can't go home if you don't go to tribal. I think it was last week one of the females said something along the lines that she was excited about tribal council. That's an ironic statement to make because you should be doing all you can to avoid tribal right now.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Yeah for some reason they get there and just lose all brains function on keeping the strong so your tribe don't go to tribal.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
Natalie will stay around a long time. She is not thread to win anything. So why vote her out now. The move last week by the guy (can't remember his name) was terrible. Really no reason for him to do it. You just don't make big moves this early. Especially ones that make you a minority in the tribe he is in now.

And that's besides the fact that when things condense into one tribe later in the game, all of your original tribe (Goliath) loses trust in you. Sure there are other strategic developments and alliances that will be made between now and then, but seems like you'd want to reconnect with the familiar faces from before rather than distance yourself (since you also don't have any relationship with the David Tribe members other than your reassigned current tribe anyway).

The David/Goliath concept is mildly interesting/entertaining to me, but the original challenge on the boat was so one-sided that it felt like they were pumping up the underdog having a fair chance angle too much. The thing about Survivor is that physical strength isn't everything, so many challenges are about puzzles and strategy that a 30 second physical advantage in the water or through the ropes isn't that big of a deal anyway.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
And that's besides the fact that when things condense into one tribe later in the game, all of your original tribe (Goliath) loses trust in you. Sure there are other strategic developments and alliances that will be made between now and then, but seems like you'd want to reconnect with the familiar faces from before rather than distance yourself (since you also don't have any relationship with the David Tribe members other than your reassigned current tribe anyway).

The David/Goliath concept is mildly interesting/entertaining to me, but the original challenge on the boat was so one-sided that it felt like they were pumping up the underdog having a fair chance angle too much. The thing about Survivor is that physical strength isn't everything, so many challenges are about puzzles and strategy that a 30 second physical advantage in the water or through the ropes isn't that big of a deal anyway.

That and it's not like they let it happen for long. I mean the whole season is based on the concept of the nerdy smart people vs the big dumb popular people. They let it go three weeks before switching the whole concept up. I mean let it go for a while. Put some contests in that allow for the smart people to do smart people things and some physical challenges that favor the Goliaths. See if either team can beat the other at a challenge that favors the other side. That is what I wanted to see. They bailed way to quick on it.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
That and it's not like they let it happen for long. I mean the whole season is based on the concept of the nerdy smart people vs the big dumb popular people. They let it go three weeks before switching the whole concept up. I mean let it go for a while. Put some contests in that allow for the smart people to do smart people things and some physical challenges that favor the Goliaths. See if either team can beat the other at a challenge that favors the other side. That is what I wanted to see. They bailed way to quick on it.

I initially thought the same thing, but after thinking about it more I wonder if they didn't have to pivot since the numbers were already 3 voted out or eliminated from injury for David vs only 1 for Goliath. Notice that it wasn't a pure random tribe reassignment. Every new tribe had a majority Goliath and minority David that can play more into the underdog role again. Can't imagine that was an accident.

I think the theme really loses steam if they instead were merged mid-way through and 3/4 of the tribe were Goliaths.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I initially thought the same thing, but after thinking about it more I wonder if they didn't have to pivot since the numbers were already 3 voted out or eliminated from injury for David vs only 1 for Goliath. Notice that it wasn't a pure random tribe reassignment. Every new tribe had a majority Goliath and minority David that can play more into the underdog role again. Can't imagine that was an accident.

I think the theme really loses steam if they instead were merged mid-way through and 3/4 of the tribe were Goliaths.

Probst said it was pre planned that way. I know I am so used to big brother just flat out making some players get advantage over others. However, Survivor the whole season is planned and what ever happens happens.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

Yeah lately they only stick with the initial concept for a short time lately so by the time you are halfway through the theme of the show is mostly an afterthought. I remember Survivor season 10 in Palau where 1 tribe got decimated where only 2 people were left: Bobby and Stephanie. If I remember they had to do a fire making challenge that Stephanie won and ultimately was absorbed into the other tribe which was not considered a merge then. She was then voted out 3 tribals later. Probably one of the better seasons of all time with the first time they did Exile Island and Tom Westman winning who is one of the few guys who was able to be a big challenge threat and still be able to navigate a way to win while being one of the biggest physical threats.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Probst said it was pre planned that way. I know I am so used to big brother just flat out making some players get advantage over others. However, Survivor the whole season is planned and what ever happens happens.

It does seem like some seasons when 1 tribe is overly matched and down on numbers quickly to start a season they do something to shake things up and adjust on the fly. They probably have an idea going on how they want the season to play but you'd think they'd have to be open to adjusting on the spot as things play out otherwise it isn't as entertaining. You never know how the weather and the contestants are going to hold up until you see it play out in real time. They have a crew of interns that run the challenges in advance to "test" them and adjust if they think they are too easy or hard so the same probably holds true with how the game play goes I bet.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015

Gotcha. I wasn't aware of that, usually try to avoid some of the behind the scenes things for Survivor to avoid any sort of accidental reading of spoilers.

That does make it feel very premature, especially if the eliminated members had been an even split to automatically make this change.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
It does seem like some seasons when 1 tribe is overly matched and down on numbers quickly to start a season they do something to shake things up and adjust on the fly. They probably have an idea going on how they want the season to play but you'd think they'd have to be open to adjusting on the spot as things play out otherwise it isn't as entertaining. You never know how the weather and the contestants are going to hold up until you see it play out in real time. They have a crew of interns that run the challenges in advance to "test" them and adjust if they think they are too easy or hard so the same probably holds true with how the game play goes I bet.

I guess this is always what I assumed. The heavy advantage to one side can sometimes be very frustrating, but seems like they couldn't be so rigid to stick to an original script if there aren't any interesting story lines. It is for viewer entertainment after all.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
giphy.gif

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
While I found Natalie annoying and bossy with the way she talked down to everyone there was no chance she would win so in that sense they were stupid for not keeping her around a bit longer because she's going to be a loyal alliance partner and vote since she knows that's her only angle of staying in the game. Glad the drama queen is gone but the Goliaths are setting themselves up to be down on numbers at the merge if they keep voting out their own. Maybe this season plays out and the original tribes won't be much of a factor at the merge since now 2 of the 3 mixed tribes have voted out someone of the original majority tribe.

The whole coat thing was funny yet awkward. Angelina was one that my initial impression on the premier was she seemed like someone that came from an entitled upbringing and would probably butt heads with some of the people eventually and the obsession with the coat last night kind of brought some of that back out I thought. You knew there was no way Natalie was going to leave it, in fact I am surprised she just didn't throw it into the fire as her way of flipping the middle finger. I sometimes wonder just how many seasons of Survivor some of these contestants watch to prep for playing the game. First off you know it could be cold and rainy and it's not a fashion show so why would you not over dress like some of them do so you have some layers to shed or put back on? And some of the strategy is always puzzling because time and time again when people have numbers they go against common sense and vote out someone they need as a number or some years even intentionally throw challenges. You want to stay away from tribal as much as you can so why decrease your odds by putting yourself in a more vulnerable position by voting with your emotions than using logic even if that means keeping annoying people around? If you make it to the end it's only 39 days, most of us have annoying co workers or been in relationships with someone longer than that.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron