Survivor 42

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I am liking Omar more & more. He's not the most physical of threats but he's smart, and does just good enough in challenges to help his teammates while still staying just weak enough to not be targeted.

And once again, Jonathan single-handedly saved his team. :D
The thing about Omar is he could possibly fall into that "I'm running the tribe and I say who goes and who stays" overconfidence mode that we've seen a few times. Where the other players realize he's got the best argument to win by being a great player by guiding the game his way. And they gang up and blindside him.

Not saying he WILL get overconfident, but we've seen it happen where the person seemingly with all the power and making all the decisions gets blindsided and they're gone.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
The thing about Omar is he could possibly fall into that "I'm running the tribe and I say who goes and who stays" overconfidence mode that we've seen a few times. Where the other players realize he's got the best argument to win by being a great player by guiding the game his way. And they gang up and blindside him.

Not saying he WILL get overconfident, but we've seen it happen where the person seemingly with all the power and making all the decisions gets blindsided and they're gone.

That thought crossed my mind this week too. He's toeing a fine line with playing both sides at the moment and when you talk to everyone all the time eventually someone will talk to someone that exposes that. Hai is doing a bit of that right now too I think. The whole "which car are you jumping into and who is the driver and passenger" discussion this week at tribal is very true because sometimes its ok to be the passenger in the right car, you can't always be the driver. In Survivor if you think you can be the driver most votes you probably are going to get a target on your back quickly.

With this current group I keep playing the "what if it were me" scenario. I think keeping a low key profile right now is important. Let someone else take the heat for orchestrating the votes, let others be annoying and just make sure you are voting with the right people so when its time to make your move you have some trust built with them. I would do anything I could to keep Johnathan and Mike around a bit longer because both will be the targets soon and better them than you. Mike's emotions can run hot some times and I think that will ultimately be his downfall at some point. Right now Drea is the one just lying in the weeds waiting for her time to use her advantages when they can best be used. Let others drive the paranoia for now then pounce on the opportunities.

Reactions: MeanDean

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

Somebody, every season, gets totally high on their own supply and feels untouchable then they get blindsided the next week. It happens like every season.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
*sigh* we finally got the social/racial justice episode of the season...

Can thank Omar and Hai for messing things up by voting out Rocksroy instead of Romeo and throwing the 2nd group at tribal into chaos. I get Drea's reason why she reacted the way she did but was not happy about her making it clear she was playing an idol because she didn't want to see another black person on the jury. Would have made more sense to let everyone vote then play it as a strategy move to me instead of derailing tribal and making it another race conversation by saying that is why you are going to play it. They were not going to vote her out because she is black, they were going to vote her out to blindside someone with a lot of power in the game right now or the very least flush out an idol which they did times two because then Maryanne felt she had to join in on the racial justice too and play hers. Johnathan was in a tough spot, I wish he could have just said "yeah the plan was to vote you out tonight because you have an idol" and that is all he needed to say to justify the reason it was not about race. There were 4 people that could have been voted for last night in that group of 5 and 2 happened to be black so the odds already there before the first group even made their vote.

What got me too was then they had no choice but to vote for Tori they all told her why which is exactly why she was the 1 player anyone wanting to win the game should have kept around to the end because no one would vote for her. Should have been Romeo and Drea going home last night, have a feeling Hai, Omar, and Drea just put bigger targets on their back with their moves last night. Omar and Hai sure are orchestrating a lot of the votes right now which if that keeps up eventually bites you because you can't be the one calling the shots every tribal and live to tell about it at the end. Things are really got shook up last night...

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Last nights episode sucked. It was pretty good right until the final tribal council. Jeff got all excited when it became about race.
I think this season kind of sucks altogether. Jonathan is obviously a physical challenge beast. But other than that most of these players are pretty dim and witless in my opinion. And of course it turning into a sociological introspective on race just sucks. Give me Russell, Hatch, Fairplay, Boston Rob, etc., players who are strategic and conniving and stealthy and smart. Give me someone to root for and someone to hate. This season's group is just milquetoast.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
In that first group of 5 Mike was the only non minority person so there was a 4/5 chance a minority was going home. I blame survivor for how these 2 groups were picked. It's like they made these two groups knowing it could lead to something like this.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
In that first group of 5 Mike was the only non minority person so there was a 4/5 chance a minority was going home. I blame survivor for how these 2 groups were picked. It's like they made these two groups knowing it could lead to something like this.

It's getting hard to play these games like survivor and Big Brother because they are basically making it so if you vote someone out you are now a racist. Nobody mentioned that most of the cast voted out so far have been non minorities.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Just because it has nothing to do with race doesn't mean the players' feelings aren't valid.

Agree with that but you can't be mad that you are targeted in the game because you play a bad social game and talk down to certain players (Rocksroy) or have an idol (Drea) that you know makes you a target for a blindside and last night was the perfect storm to take out 2 people that were going to affect the chances of other players ability to win the game. The color of their skin had nothing to do with why they were the targets for votes, its how they played the game up until that point or the threat they pose going forward. Heck most have no idea just how much power Drea even has right now as she still has an extra vote and steal an advantage that no one knows about. If they did know that would have been even more justified with their reason why they were planning to vote her out last night.

I get sick of the woke moments. 42 seasons in now, every cast has had diversity and have even had several winners and runner ups of different color and ethnicity. This current cast does not know it but season 41 winner Erika was the first Canadian to win and was born in the Philippines. Runner up was Deshawn who is black. I listed it in last season's thread maybe of several seasons of winners and runner ups that were not white and it's not like there hasn't been a fair representation over the history of the show. Seems like this topic has been more prominent in recent seasons because Jeff will bait it out of them IMO.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
It was a random draw, Johnathan was the only male on his group of 5 and I bet had he not won immunity the 4 females would have sent him home but that wouldn't have been considered sexist if they had...

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
This current cast does not know it but season 41 winner Erika was the first Canadian to win and was born in the Philippines. Runner up was Deshawn who is black.
Maybe that only happened because of the conversation they had during the season?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Just because it has nothing to do with race doesn't mean the players' feelings aren't valid.
I agree that their feelings are valid. But at 7pm on Wednesday I just want to mindlessly chill and watch some Survivor. The world right now is such mental clusterf*ck... the politics, the hate, the pandemic, the division, the economy, the war in Ukraine... it feels like every day is just a battle to make it through sometimes. I just want a f*cking escape from all of it, even if just for an hour.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I agree that their feelings are valid. But at 7pm on Wednesday I just want to mindlessly chill and watch some Survivor. The world right now is such mental clusterf*ck... the politics, the hate, the pandemic, the division, the economy, the war in Ukraine... it feels like every day is just a battle to make it through sometimes. I just want a f*cking escape from all of it, even if just for an hour.

That is my thing also. Same with sports. I just want to tune in and not deal with politics, race, Covid and anything else. Just want some good competition. That is why the Challenge coming to CBS might make it better than survivor. IF they take out some of the nonssense of Hook ups it might actually do better than survivor

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
That is my thing also. Same with sports. I just want to tune in and not deal with politics, race, Covid and anything else. Just want some good competition. That is why the Challenge coming to CBS might make it better than survivor. IF they take out some of the nonssense of Hook ups it might actually do better than survivor

I miss the days when some of the bigger "issues" and drama was about who was cuddling with who at night or possibly being a "power couple" or who was eating too much food at camp or who was a drunken idiot after drinking too much at a reward. That was entertainment, these woke tribal councils are not.

I keep saying they need to bring back the old eating challenges they used to have like this. Make these contestants have to do some tough things previous seasons had to do to earn immunity. Also think if they can get a sponsor to do the car challenge again that always threw everyone into a big twist because no one has ever won the car then went on to win the season too. Dipping back into some of the things in past seasons they have not used in a long time would make things a lot more interesting again.