Starting OL for 2020

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Who do you think will be the starters on the O-line next year? They should all be Campbell guys at this point, so hopefully we see some improvement.

My prediction:
T- Ramos
G- Downing
C - Newell
G- Hufford
T- Trieber

Could also see Rob Hudson be in the mix as well at Guard.

Reactions: isutrevman and ATCy

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Treiber and Hudson I think have the inside track for now on the right side as you laid it out but I'd be shocked if we don't see a GT to push.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneGuy8

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Who do you think will be the starters on the O-line next year? They should all be Campbell guys at this point, so hopefully we see some improvement.

My prediction:
T- Ramos
G- Downing
C - Newell
G- Hufford
T- Trieber

This is a good question. I'd like to not only see who people think will start, but what they think the 2 deeps will be?

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
This position group will be crucial toward next season. I expect them to struggle early but improve as the year goes on. I'd love to see us be more of a smash mouth** mentality next year with Hall and Brock getting a lot of carries which opens up the play action and play making of Purdy. If the line can't create holes for ISU to run the ball effectively next year, it could be a long year.

**hey now, you're an all star..

Reactions: LincolnSwinger

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Not sure about Ramos. The coaching staff shook up the entire line instead of inserting Ramos who is listed as JGJ's back up. That's pretty telling
He played pretty well earlier in the year when he had to come in for Meeker or JGJ (granted, it was against Tech if I remember right); I'm thinking Campbell didn't want to throw him against the ND defensive line, which is understandable given how they handled everyone else on our OL yesterday. Hopefully he can continue to improve this offseason.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. There are 23 OL listed on the roster, and 16 are currently FR, RS FR or RS SO. There are 4 more OL coming in, 2 of them this spring. Some of these guys have played, some have started, but who fills in the holes will be interesting. The only seniors next year are Foster, who has one last chance to prove he is as good as his rankings, and Noah Juergensen, who I believe is a walkon.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I'd like to think at least one grad transfer.

I feel OL is about the only position group that hasn't stepped up a ton since Campbell came in. Are they better? Some but lots of work to do.

Also, you could see why recruiting rankings matter. ND is loaded with 3, 4 and 5 star guys. Good coaching is worth something but for those of you in the 'stars don't matter' crowd, you are wrong. To legitimately compete for Big 12 crown, ISU needs a couple of recruiting classes in the top 25 to follow up our two previous classes.

SDClone

Oct 3, 2007
Ankeny, Iowa
It doesn’t matter who starts if we don’t have the coaches to develop them. IIRC, our OL has been trash for years.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Downing and Newell are both good players who will be even better next year. I think Hudson’s age and size make him a favorite to start at a guard spot. Ramos looked good when JGJ was hurt earlier in the year. I see him at one of the tackle spots. We need someone to step up for the fifth spot. It could be Foster, but we haven’t seen him play meaningful snaps in a while. It could be one of the current freshman, but that is a big step for someone. I could also see the staff move Downing or Newell to tackle until a tackle develops. We will likely know the favorites early in spring ball.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Not sure about Ramos. The coaching staff shook up the entire line instead of inserting Ramos who is listed as JGJ's back up. That's pretty telling
Depth charts are not a good prediction of who the next man in is. During a game they might be, but with time to make adjustments the staff will find a way to get the top 5 guys on the field. They always stress position flexibility so starting a guy with 13 career starts over someone with 0 makes sense. Ramos still has an opportunity to prove that he can be one of the top 5 guys going into next season.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Depth charts are not a good prediction of who the next man in is. During a game they might be, but with time to make adjustments the staff will find a way to get the top 5 guys on the field. They always stress position flexibility so starting a guy with 13 career starts over someone with 0 makes sense. Ramos still has an opportunity to prove that he can be one of the top 5 guys going into next season.

Guessing our record wasn't very good in those 13 games. Ramos showed more in one series than Foster has in his career. Foster played stiff and barely slowed oncoming rushers.

Ideally Treiber would get another year to develop but for that to happen I think it will come via a GT.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
IMO the other missing piece this year was a fullback in the mold of Seonbuchner. We could use a battering ram blocker for Breese Hall.
You would think that some backup middle linebacker would fit the bill for a guy that you could plug in for a few plays each game to play fullback and go blow up the hole for Breece.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloned

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015

Agreed. They don't list the backup tackle as the current starting guard like we used to on the NCAA Football video games. Always arranged those lineups to get the best 5 in if a guy were to go down.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Also keep in mind that you are putting a starter back in when you put Newell in there. He was a starter before the injury. When you have 6 starters, you are probably going to try to start the other 5 when one of them goes down.

I don't think it reflects much at all on Ramos.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny

My prediction:
T- Ramos
G- Downing
C - Newell
G- Hufford
T- Trieber

I have heard a lot of people talking about Hufford and Trieber starting next year. I don't know anything about them. Are they redshirting this year? Are they new recruits?

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I have heard a lot of people talking about Hufford and Trieber starting next year. I don't know anything about them. Are they redshirting this year? Are they new recruits?

Pretty sure they are redshirting. Not sure who will be stepping up to play honestly. There are a lot of young guys in the program that were decently rated out of HS. Just really hard to figure out how OL will develop.