Stadium Construction 8/7/22

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I would guess the cost of purchase is dwarfed by the cost of transport.

Come to think of it, what the hell do you do with a purchased bridge? Surely something that old can't be disassembled and reassembled, can it?

Exactly lol

Reactions: Trice

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I'm straight, married, and a dude and I'd probably miss an ISU game to cling on tightly to the Rock.
20180412-QPVEoMRax6jlxcBMvL1h

Reactions: VeloClone

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Can we get some mock art with one of the DOT bridges lit up over University Blvd like this?

Reactions: STLISU

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Time will tell but I see spaces vaporizing as far as grilling etc. Pretty obvious when a building goes where a parking spot was. I mean Bdubs has plenty of TV’s and seating also if that’s Pollards vision.
There is truth to this, but I also remember that there once was parking right to the west of JTS before the practice facility and practice fields were built. There was parking where the Stark Performance Center now stands. The football program (and all the sports programs, too) is (are) better because of those facilities. I do miss those close parking spots that we used in my youth, but before the upgrades to the program we were often celebrating things like sneaking up on Nebraska in 1992 as opposed to challenging for conference titles and bowl bids.

If Clyde Williams would have been torn down and replaced as some other threads have mentioned, where would we all park and where would all those students in those new dorms be housed?

I get your point, but the trade off for electrical hookups and assigned spots seems like a good deal for a few more blocks of walking.

Last edited:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Problem there though. I think there are very few women (and probably some men) that would rather watch an Iowa State than cling on tightly to the Rock.
Give me the Rock, JP. I got passed at least three times a season when I was a student and it was a lot more scary than the Rock delivering me to my seat from a helicopter.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I would guess the cost of purchase is dwarfed by the cost of transport.

Come to think of it, what the hell do you do with a purchased bridge? Surely something that old can't be disassembled and reassembled, can it?

Anything is possible with enough money and engineering. A lot of time those cantilever truss bridges that go across major shipping channels end up being dismantled piece by piece to avoid restricting shipping lanes. Been on two different jobs where they've done that.

• Informative
Reactions: Trice

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Anything is possible with enough money and engineering. A lot of time those cantilever truss bridges that go across major shipping channels end up being dismantled piece by piece to avoid restricting shipping lanes. Been on two different jobs where they've done that.

Awhile ago they were going to dismantle a whole bridge and reassemble it because Bezos is having a yacht built nearby and the bridge couldnt handle it. Apparently there was enough uproar about that it didn't happen, but apparently its possible

BigM

Mar 2, 2007
Amesterdam
Awhile ago they were going to dismantle a whole bridge and reassemble it because Bezos is having a yacht built nearby and the bridge couldnt handle it. Apparently there was enough uproar about that it didn't happen, but apparently its possible
Still likely on the cards, as that bridge can (and has been previously) partially disassembled (the middle piece removed) although there is a strict max of 2x per annum. The shipyard has received threats of i.a. vandalism (Rotterdammers aren't exactly the warm and cuddliest folks in the world), so is also considering other options on how to build the yacht

Source: live in the Netherlands

• Informative
Reactions: alarson

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
What’s the point‍? Maybe I’m old school but as long as I can get into the stadium in a timely fashion, I’m cool. I’ve been going since the 90’s and success brings changes but I won’t say that they are always good. Nothing bad so far but I do miss the old days of the successful Mac years. Point being is that we are known for awesome tailgating and I see that diminishing with this “vision” of Pollard. I recall tailgating on Beach for $10 and having a blast Or being a student and tailgating where Reiman gardens is now. It was great not crossing the street. Now RV lots are across the street, they donate $$$$ and are walking further.

The tailgating was great, for those few that went, back when the entire west and south sides next to JTS were grass lots.

And parking so easy, for those that went, back when you could show up at kickoff and still find a spot south of Hilton.

But thankfully that’s no longer the case.

If executed well, the entertainment district will enhance gameday at JTS, not diminish. It’s on pollard to get it right.

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Still likely on the cards, as that bridge can (and has been previously) partially disassembled (the middle piece removed) although there is a strict max of 2x per annum. The shipyard has received threats of i.a. vandalism (Rotterdammers aren't exactly the warm and cuddliest folks in the world), so is also considering other options on how to build the yacht

Source: live in the Netherlands

Read this a couple of days ago: Yacht

tl:dr - They didn't need to take apart the bridge. They just didn't install the masts on the yacht and tugged it to the next ship yard for completion.

• Informative
Reactions: Aclone

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I'm straight, married, and a dude and I'd probably miss an ISU game to cling on tightly to the Rock.
id dock with the rock if you kno what i mean

(docking- urban dictionary)