Son just got accepted for Fall 2022

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Band practice was between Howe and Design my 4 years in. Coming from Helser freshman year was an easy morning. Getting there from Freddy Court the next 3 years was a bit of a chore... if only the practice had moved to the cemetery location a couple years earlier...

Yeah, I started at the "Titanic" and moved out to the cemetery somewhere after either my... goodness which year was that... sophomore or junior year of undergraduate. So I got to do both.

:)

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I usually walk the campus once a yr or so, haven't had a meal on campus for years. I do want to try the new ice cream parlor once things get going again.
A lady told us during orientation that it is running. So next time your at ISU…….

Reactions: NWICY

kcbob79clone

Brother said when Goedjen missed extra point that would have beat instead of tied Nebraska, a table of guys ridiculed him in dining hall flicking croutons from the salad bar and if they missed the goal, called it a Goedjen. Guy was a good kicker remembered mostly for that miss.
Only one he missed. That my friends is why my nut cup is never far away.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I have a kid wanting to go to ISU that same time, do they need ACT tests if he has really good HS grades? I cannot get him into the ACT until October, all of them have been cancelled because of COVID.

You might call ISU admissions, but it appears they have made an exception due to COVID.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I usually walk the campus once a yr or so, haven't had a meal on campus for years. I do want to try the new ice cream parlor once things get going again.

You should go inside the Student Innovation Center if you get on campus. The building is really cool and has some beautiful views of campus.

We got ice cream from the creamery with my daughter right after classes ended in May, it was really good.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
You should go inside the Student Innovation Center if you get on campus. The building is really cool and has some beautiful views of campus.

We got ice cream from the creamery with my daughter right after classes ended in May, it was really good.

Where is the creamery located? I was guessing the dairy industries building?

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Where is the creamery located? I was guessing the dairy industries building?

It is in the Food Sciences building. There are signs in the building once you get there. Sorry for the confusion, I was just suggesting that you visit the Innovation Center because it is a cool building. That was an independent suggestion from the Creamery.

• Informative

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
It is in the Food Sciences building. There are signs in the building once you get there. Sorry for the confusion, I was just suggesting that you visit the Innovation Center because it is a cool building. That was an independent suggestion from the Creamery.

I'll probably go to both, seems like a campus visit needs to be on my to do list this summer. Food Sciences is the old Dairy Industry from when I was there, I hope that really neat fountain is working in the green space in the center of the building It's a Christian Petersen relief and fountain.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I'll probably go to both, seems like a campus visit needs to be on my to do list this summer. Food Sciences is the old Dairy Industry from when I was there, I hope that really neat fountain is working in the green space in the center of the building It's a Christian Petersen relief and fountain.

We found a couple of benches and ate our ice cream in that green space area. The fountain wasn't working in May, but it might be now.

• Informative

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
I had two good years in Towers (before they went to singles and then Kaboom!), and a year in Old RCA (Birch-Welch-Roberts, etc). I would tell anyone to go to BWR for the most classic college dorm set up - the internal buildings, courtyards, central field, prime for meeting neighbors, not as far away as MWL. Even if "engineering classes are closer to Friley", that is less true in first years as the basic classes are spread out.

Dorms are a great way to be open to "what might happen" and "who you might meet", instead of HS buddies right away in an apartment. Good for spontaneous interaction, easier for intramurals, easier to make it to class vs skipping due to bus rides, etc. Wait a few years, get established, then enjoy off campus.

One caveat, if you think he wouldn't appreciate the aesthetic advantages of BWR (pretty walk from Union to the arches, nice brick buildings, courtyards, smaller scale everything, including dining) vs the utilitarian advantages of Friley, then leave Old RCA for someone who would :)

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
OK, follow-up question on this topic.

What kind of expenses are we looking at the first year?

Any parents on here paying for their child for the first time at Iowa State? I'm trying to figure out how much we will need to expect that first year or two. Room/Board/Books for the standard 12 hours. My wife thinks dropping my club membership is the way to pay for it and of course I would rather not do that. :)

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

Any parents on here paying for their child for the first time at Iowa State? I'm trying to figure out how much we will need to expect that first year or two. Room/Board/Books for the standard 12 hours. My wife thinks dropping my club membership is the way to pay for it and of course I would rather not do that. :)

Depends on the type of club.

• Haha
Reactions: stateofmind

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

I have a 3rd year ISU student and a first year ISu student right now. First year, if on campus (most expensive), total cost will be about 21K. All depends if you are paying for it, or the kid, or somewhere in between. Financial aid is also a question. If you are middle class, financial aid is non existent. My kids each received ok scholarships (nothing great). Tuition is cheaper for the freshman, but the off campus savings makes up the difference.

• Informative

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL

If they are staying on campus, their room and board should be on Iowa States webpage. I don't know what the dinning options are anymore, but I assume you want at least a 14 meal plan (this may be required for on campus living) so they get lunch and dinner every day. If they get up for breakfast, then you may need to get higher meal plan to cover that. So a lot of those expenses should be listed on ISU's housing webpage.

Books can probably be anywhere from $500-$1000 depending on classes. You can try and get discounts on books by shopping amazon or other discount textbook websites.

Outside of those, if you want to provide some entertainment funds, that will be up to your discretion.

• Informative

CysFam

Jul 24, 2021
Get the meal plan. I live in Ames and would have a meal plan if they let me. I’m 35 with two kids. Just something they never have to worry about.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Ah, thanks, I should've looked there. Looks like I could pay for room and board with my golf membership. :( But I'm still going to golf, so I really need to look at that more.

I've been trying to convince the wife to buy a house in Ames to rent out while he's there for 2nd year+, but of course now is not the best time to be buying a house with the market the way it is.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Get the meal plan. I live in Ames and would have a meal plan if they let me. I’m 35 with two kids. Just something they never have to worry about.

After I had graduated, I lived and worked in Ames. I lived with an Engineering grad student and on days when the Dinning centers had their specials meals, I would pay the fee to eat there. Totally worth it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron