Son just got accepted for Fall 2022

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I'm super excited that my to-be senior in HS has applied and got accepted. (No surprise there, but still really cool as his mom and I met at Welch Ave Station.)

Anyway, he went to accept the offer today and they want $330. I assume that's all normal and it's a lost chunk of money if he decides over the senior year he wants to go elsewhere? So he should be fairly certain before sending the money.

The big reason he's wanting to do it asap is to get the best choice of housing. This is where I'm really looking for advice from you all. 1, I never lived in dorms and my wife hasn't for close to 30 years. So what's the pros and cons of dorm life and which ones should he and his buddies try for? I assume Friley so that you are in the middle of everything.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Back when I was accepted, getting on the list for first choice dorms was a big deal. You didn't want to get sent out to Towers. Not sure what the situation is now or if it is hard to get in the dorm of your choice.

Reactions: stateofmind

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Dorms freshman year is a must for many reasons. 18 year olds will only get the opportunity for that living arrangement once in their life, you can live in an apt/house with buddies at any time.

Interesting enough many of the connections I made my freshman year in the dorms (Larch) have helped me in my career over a decade later.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I lived in Larch 30 years ago. It was a great experience. Rooms are small and basic, but the floor was very social. Both my kids were in old RCA (Freeman and Linden). They both had great experiences and made very good friend groups. My son believes the older dorms are best because the rooms do not have AC, but the common area does. During the hot first couple of weeks it is forced socializing. My kids didn’t get their priority dorms, but everything worked out for the best. Check the website but it seems like you can get your down payment back as long as you decide for sure by spring.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
My daughter lived in Maple-Willow-Larch her first year and liked it a lot. Having the CyRide stop right there is a big plus when it's cold, and it has that nice big dining hall on the ground floor.

Congrats.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Back when I was accepted, getting on the list for first choice dorms was a big deal. You didn't want to get sent out to Towers. Not sure what the situation is now or if it is hard to get in the dorm of your choice.
giphy.gif

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Although remember all the non-major-specific courses that most freshmen will be taking. They can be held anywhere on campus.

That's true, but he'll also have some 100 level ENGR courses that will most likely be held on the west side of campus.

I was in Friley my freshman year, and it's close enough to central campus it's an easy walk. Think the furthest away I had classes were Ross and Curtiss, but those walks weren't that bad, even in winter.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
BIL was an aero engineer...being in MWL would have been a huge waste of time each day getting to engineering, physics, and math (Carver) classes even as a freshman.
I was in Friley as a freshman and had way more classes on the east side of campus. Stayed in Friley because I liked my house and the people there -- even though there were urinals in the bathroom from when Friley was a male-only building. I did have speech in Pearson. Plus, it was much closer to State Gym and the old broomball area behind what's now Student Health.
Of course this was in the last century and things have changed. ;) I now work on campus in the northeast corner.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
The worse the dorm the better the experience (minus towers) seemed to be the case. Kids in helser, friley, rca, larch, and willow always seemed to always have better stories.

Eh, it all depends on the kid. I think I would have been pretty miserable in some of the more "exciting" dorms. Just not my personality or style. I also appreciated the air conditioning.

I was in the first suites building. Don't think I had any better or any worse experience than anybody else. Probably a bit less social experience/experiment than people in the traditional dorms but I still had good friends and 3 of us from my floor ended up moving into an apartment our sophmore year.

Freshman year classes are a crap shoot for location (so are some upper level courses as well). I had 300 level Civil Engineering course somewhere over on the far NE corner of campus (maybe one of the old science buildings?)

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Towers was party central in the late 90's with the finest ladies of ISU. Beer was flowing like water and weed smoke was blowing through dryer sheet stuffed bottles like the Santa Ana Winds. Fireworks were easier to get than pizza and homework was being passed around like crabs.

We even had a mini riot in the quad one night. Classic.

Help Support Us

Become a patron