Son just got accepted for Fall 2022

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Lived in the dorms for a year and then to a fraternity. Had a great time at both. I don't think there is a bad dorm at isu.

Reactions: stateofmind

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I was in Larch the first 2 years and made plenty of walks to Gilman. Never rode CyRide to go to class, although it just wasn't as popular as it is now. I never really thought the walk was a big deal. Yeah, it sucked in the winter time, but you bundled up and just hit the sidewalk. When you're that age, walking that far is easy and you really become a fast strider.

I used to walk from the band practice field (north of Black Engineering and just east of the cemetery) all the way to the commuter lots between Jack Trice and Hilton all the way through late November.

Good times.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I know that, and it probably won't ever happen, but I still enjoy walking across campus, it's amazing the number of buildings that have been added since I was there as a student. I've got a friend that is hoping to come back this fall I think he'll be shocked at how much the campus and Ames has changed since his last time there (late 80s early 90s)

I've actually looked at some of those OLLIE classes but I've been too busy for them.
You don’t need to be a student to walk all over campus. Or eat or drink here. Just saying’.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Strongly recommend dorm life first 1-2 years. I did it 3 and it was too long. Then you'll have friends and can find an off campus living arrangement away from that craziness. Knapp Hall - R.I.P

I had a great dorm floor in Friday and to this day my closest friends are the people that happened to live on that floor. But I agree about the 3rd year in the dorms. My friend group kind of ran the floor. And none of us wanted to outfit an apartment or house. But the second we moved in that 3rd year, I knew that it was one year too long. Luckily Hawthorne opened up our senior year and we moved in then.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
You don’t need to be a student to walk all over campus. Or eat or drink here. Just saying’.

I usually walk the campus once a yr or so, haven't had a meal on campus for years. I do want to try the new ice cream parlor once things get going again.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I lived in Storms and one of my brothers was in Knapp, the imploded Towers. We had a ton of the football team living there and the players ate in a separate room in the dining hall. One of them randomly ripped the water fountain off the wall when he was waiting for the elevator. Often have wondered if that occupancy contributed to their demise, not sure when they quit placing them there. Sister was in MWL and they had the basketball players.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I usually walk the campus once a yr or so, haven't had a meal on campus for years. I do want to try the new ice cream parlor once things get going again.

We ate on campus a lot two years ago when they would kick general public out of Vet Med when grass lots were closed. Our go to was Jeff’s Pizza and eating it on central campus if it wasn’t too rainy. Usually can at least get a decent burger at Clyde’s. When our kids were still in dorms, we ate at UDCC a lot, was so much better than Towers dorm food of the 1980’s. Have heard some good things about Friley Windows and The Roasterie and Heaping Plato at the Hub from the youngest.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I have a kid wanting to go to ISU that same time, do they need ACT tests if he has really good HS grades? I cannot get him into the ACT until October, all of them have been cancelled because of COVID.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I have a kid wanting to go to ISU that same time, do they need ACT tests if he has really good HS grades? I cannot get him into the ACT until October, all of them have been cancelled because of COVID.

They take either SAT or ACT if he can do that sooner

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I lived in Storms and one of my brothers was in Knapp, the imploded Towers. We had a ton of the football team living there and the players ate in a separate room in the dining hall. One of them randomly ripped the water fountain off the wall when he was waiting for the elevator. Often have wondered if that occupancy contributed to their demise, not sure when they quit placing them there. Sister was in MWL and they had the basketball players.
I knew many football players that lived in Larch and probably just because it was closer to them practicing/playing.

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
We ate on campus a lot two years ago when they would kick general public out of Vet Med when grass lots were closed. Our go to was Jeff’s Pizza and eating it on central campus if it wasn’t too rainy. Usually can at least get a decent burger at Clyde’s. When our kids were still in dorms, we ate at UDCC a lot, was so much better than Towers dorm food of the 1980’s. Have heard some good things about Friley Windows and The Roasterie and Heaping Plato at the Hub from the youngest.

I don't know, I still get a craving for "Texas Straw Hat" a couple times each year. For those of you too young to experience when there was zero choice in dining, Texas Straw Hat was always the meal served at every semester break.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
It’s wild hearing the stories about Towers

I started at ISU in 2009 - Towers was where they quarantined swine flu patients

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

Imagine being 19, hungover, and hearing the constant jackhammering of the side of the building at 8am to insert metal rods so it wouldn't collapse.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I don't know, I still get a craving for "Texas Straw Hat" a couple times each year. For those of you too young to experience when there was zero choice in dining, Texas Straw Hat was always the meal served at every semester break.
Don't remember that. Must have come later. We were still on the quarter system. The meal I most remember is Turkey Canoe.

And yes, if you lived in the Towers you had to walk back for lunch. Or they had a brown bag option you could get when you did breakfast.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

I drove CyRide in 2001 and let me tell you based on some of the dropoffs I had at Towers - they had fun over there.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Don't remember that. Must have come later. We were still on the quarter system. The meal I most remember is Turkey Canoe.

And yes, if you lived in the Towers you had to walk back for lunch. Or they had a brown bag option you could get when you did breakfast.

Always got the sack lunch. Mostly for the cookies. Also hoarded Captain Crunch, even when they started slashing the boxes.

Brother said when Goedjen missed extra point that would have beat instead of tied Nebraska, a table of guys ridiculed him in dining hall flicking croutons from the salad bar and if they missed the goal, called it a Goedjen. Guy was a good kicker remembered mostly for that miss.

Breakfast and sack lunch always better at Towers than dinner. Mostly got salad bar for that. They did sometimes have good ice cream treats.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
I used to walk from the band practice field (north of Black Engineering and just east of the cemetery) all the way to the commuter lots between Jack Trice and Hilton all the way through late November.

Good times.

Band practice was between Howe and Design my 4 years in. Coming from Helser freshman year was an easy morning. Getting there from Freddy Court the next 3 years was a bit of a chore... if only the practice had moved to the cemetery location a couple years earlier...