Similac formula recall

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Not justifying the panic buying, but literally only thing our child will take right now. Moving over to some solids here eventually, but not enough to satisfy for any means. Starting to get a little nervous looking at the shelves every week.

Just about starting our last can of Similac this week, and then likely working into some store brand formulas. Hope she takes okay because haven't been able to find any Similac for 4+ wks. Has anyone had success switching between brands at all... sure all okay but certainly leaving with a fair amount of stress. Had some stool issues early that I had chalked up to switching between formula so certainly would like to stick with same brands once we've established. Doesn't look like will be an option.

We’ve never had an issues switching between brands as long as they’re the same color( Orange sensitive, purple gentle. Etc.).

We did have to switch from the sensitive to gentle on our third because we couldn’t find the sensitive. Still wasn’t an issue. We’ve only really had issues with the blue kind and it was multiple brands of that.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
We’ve never had an issues switching between brands as long as they’re the same color( Orange sensitive, purple gentle. Etc.).

We did have to switch from the sensitive to gentle on our third because we couldn’t find the sensitive. Still wasn’t an issue. We’ve only really had issues with the blue kind and it was multiple brands of that.
Shows how much I know- I didn’t know the colors were consistent between brands. Will give that a shot

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
We were in a tough spot a month ago until I visited a grocery store in a “not great” neighborhood after string out a half size dozen times. Had a bunch there that will get us through to the first birthday.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Everyday searched for stock online at several different places. Target, Walmart, Sams, CVS, Walgreens, Amazon, ect. Not sure if they list it online, but Aldi also carries formula.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
It would be interesting to know what the FDA inspectors are requiring Abbott to do before they can re-open.
As long as this is taking there most likely are differences in opinion as to the government's plan of action vs. what Abbott is saying they can safely do.
Jen calling out Abbott for two infant deaths will not help narrow the gap.

Reactions: MJ29

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Wow, amazing my formula fed daughter survived I guess...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Both my kids too, and they even managed to graduate from ISU despite the deprivation and abuse.

Also me. And my sister. My mom was an RN, and back in the 60s & 70s formula was considered "scientific" and thus better than breast milk. Breast milk was for sad poor people, or (gasp) hippies. Of course new research, new science, and now it's the other way round.

I don't get why people have to get judgy about this topic. I think most people understand breast milk is now proven better, but there's obviously a ton of reasons (both practical and medical) why formula still is needed. And it's not like formula is Diet Mountain Dew mixed with bourbon.

I DO understand why mothers are sensitive about it; I would be sensitive too if I got a lot of "helpful advice" about how to raise/feed my kid. I'd probably tell nosy strangers I chose formula because I was worried about passing meth thru my milk to my kids. Yep, that is exactly what I would do.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It would be interesting to know what the FDA inspectors are requiring Abbott to do before they can re-open.
As long as this is taking there most likely are differences in opinion as to the government's plan of action vs. what Abbott is saying they can safely do.
Jen calling out Abbott for two infant deaths will not help narrow the gap.
Pretty comprehensive statement from Abbott (11 tweets in the thread)

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I knew it was just a matter of time before one of my asinine in-laws said something dumb about this.

BIL who has never married and has no children left a rambling message on our answering machine. I saw it was him and just let it go to landline machine cause it is always frustrating and I just make my husband talk to him.

He said I could text back, he just wanted to know why this is a big deal and that he doesn’t even know what formula is. So I text him back. Then he calls. “Don’t babies just eat baby food and drink breast milk or milk? Why don’t they just give them milk, this seems like some stupid made up thing by women who don’t want to nurse.” :mad: I swear I have no idea how my husband turned out normal.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
We had our first foray into this early last year when my wife had our daughter. Initially she was very stressed out that she wouldn't be able to breast feed, but she didn't have any issues. The stress of worrying about "keeping up" on the pumping took it's toll on her though so we switched to formula after 9 months or so.

I think she's planning on breast feeding our next child because she wants that bond with her baby but I'd be a little surprised if she stayed with the pumping as long this time around unless it goes a lot more smoothly.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
My wife produced without issues too, but it was a drain on her, she went a year. The hassle of doing it at work, and storing it, rotation, was one thing. The bigger downside for her was that she just had a hard time keeping her calorie intake high enough. She said that she felt like she was in a constant brain fog, and that she didn't even realize it until she stopped.