Seth Davis on DP show

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
Re: Seth Greenberg on DP show

I take comfort in the fact that Fred has already spent time in the NBA. If he never had that exposure, I could see him wanting to go there, but he knows what it's like there, and I think he's happy at ISU, at least for a while. He loves Ames and Iowa State, and I truly believe he won't leave until he has won a few National Championships and he knows he can leave the program in good hands for continued success. He's said a few times that he doesn't like coaching- "It's nervous when you when, and sucks when you lose". He knows that's he has the best support system around him at ISU, when things don't go as well as he'd like. He'd never have that in the NBA e.g. Tim Floyd.
I don't necessarily disagree with any of this, but suppose part of him felt suffocated by the adulation, he was sick of the cold weather, missed the culture of a bigger city, and his wife was nagging him to double (or triple or more) his salary .... do you think he would ever discuss those things in public? If I was him, I'm not sure I would discuss those things with even my closest friends. OK, maybe the weather.

My whole point is that we may know a lot less than we think we know.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

Don't be a ninny. I have a guess about what he will do, certainly after this year, but I also recognize that my guess is based on limited information. I don't know Fred and I know virtually nothing about dozens of factors that would go into his decision. So I'm wrong.

FIFY.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Who cares what the national pundits say? Only Fred knows what he is going to do. No need to lose your mind over it every time this comes up.

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006
How about we merge all these leaving threads into a megathread? Then put a dunce cap on it and make it go sit in the corner.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

My guess is that he will stay around for another year and probably more. Do you think I'm wrong about that? Should I type slower so you can keep up?

How about you just stop typing altogether?

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Just my 10 cents. I don't know CFH from the man on the moon.....but he doesn't come across as a Gordon Gekko type of individual. You know......how many yachts is enough? He is financially set. And from what little I know, his dream has never been to be the next Pat Riley or Phil Jackson. He has nothing to prove to anyone, so trying to make a mediocre NBA team into a dynasty wouldn't be a priority. However making ISU a college power is. So I doubt he is going anywhere for quite some time. The only way I see him leaving is if J.P. moves on, and we get an AD that he cannot stand. Or somehow this crap with college football players being union members somehow bleeds into the basketball arena. With that because the fun of being involved in amateur athletics will then be gone and why not coach at the highest level.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

I don't necessarily disagree with any of this, but suppose part of him felt suffocated by the adulation, he was sick of the cold weather, missed the culture of a bigger city, and his wife was nagging him to double (or triple or more) his salary .... do you think he would ever discuss those things in public? If I was him, I'm not sure I would discuss those things with even my closest friends. OK, maybe the weather.

My whole point is that we may know a lot less than we think we know.

NEVER COMPARE HOIBERG WITH CHIZIK EVER AGAIN...:realmad:

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
In his introduction speech as the new head coach the very first thing he did was talked about and thanked his family. Individually. Then said that although it would start tough, he'll enjoy getting to be with them. Family is a huge deal to him, and he wouldn't get that time with them as an NBA coach. I understand recruiting takes time, but it's also not football, where you're trying to sign 25 kids and therefore recruiting hundreds.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Nice trolling by Seth Davis. Maybe Hoiberg leaves for the NBA someday, maybe not. I'm just going to enjoy the ride and not worry about it.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Nice trolling by Seth Davis. Maybe Hoiberg leaves for the NBA someday, maybe not. I'm just going to enjoy the ride and not worry about it.

Maybe Hoiberg leaves, maybe he doesn't. But Seth Davis will always be taint-chinned an ***hole.

ThurgoodMarshal

Jul 18, 2011
Ankeny, IA
boring...
images

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
The media wont consider ISU a destination job until Fed makes it one.

Consistently winning the conference and always making deep runs into the tourney will do that. Maybe even a national title.

You sometimes hear speculation about Izzo or Self heading to the NBA but less because they are at two of the top schools. Also, they've been in the college game for a long time.

Fred is a hot name because he's young and exciting. He's a guy that NBA execs can sell and he's got the coaching chops to be successful.

It all comes down to what Fred wants. I honestly don't think his desire to coach in the NBA is greater than his desire to turn ISU into an elite program.

I've said this before, but I think it's important. Johnny Orr was Fred's mentor. JO was here for 14 years and Fred knows exactly what that means to himself and ISU. I feel like Fred would think he was disappointing Johnny if he jumped to the NBA after just a few years at ISU. We all know Johnny was mad at Floyd for not doing more with what JO had built.

Personally I think Fred sticks around a long time and takes a shot at being up in the rafters with JO as a coach. I wouldn't put it past him to be a lifer at ISU either. The NBA will always be there and it's not about the money.