Seth Davis on DP show

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Re: Seth Greenberg on DP show

Ya heard that....we got a lot of love on the show today.

They talked about "eventually ego takes over tand you want to prove you can do it". I just dont see it. Theres a difference between competitive and egotistical....i cant see him leaving for some bizarre 'need to prove myself' reasoning.

9 hours....41 minutes by the way

Maybe if Fred had the ego of Seth Davis, who is a pathetic little man. But, he doesn't.

CyTom

Mar 30, 2006
Des Moines

If we win the title, I think he is gone. There would be no other way to keep your legacy whole at that point He would have to go. I would be ok for the trade off of a National Championship!

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I've just concluded that if he leaves, he's left the program in great shape and we will be in a much better position to hire a top notch replacement than we were in 4 years ago when McDermott left.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

Agree.
I think Fred is going to be here for a long time. Let's remember Fred was the one contacting ISU trying to get the job. Not for one second do I believe he was interested in the ISU job only to use it to get to the NBA. If that was the case, he would have thrown his name out there for a lot of vacancies, but he didn't.
Since when has Fred ever been an ego guy? I'm not an NBA fan, but I can't even think of a single college coach who has successfully transitioned to the NBA - not Pitino or Calipari or Floyd and now Brad Stevens is in a horrible place. How many NBA coaches last more than 3 years besides Popovich, Phil Jackson and Pat Riley? Fred is a smart guy, I don't think he wants to move his wife and kids all over the country.

GO CYCLONES!!!

Larry Brown would be the example of a guy that pulled it off, but he does appear to be the exception, not the rule.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

If we win the title, I think he is gone. There would be no other way to keep your legacy whole at that point He would have to go. I would be ok for the trade off of a National Championship!

Didn't everybody say the same thing about Billy Donovan 8 years ago? And he won back-to-back titles! Doesn't seem to have any regrets staying at Florida either.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there

Would anyone really be even a little surprised if he decided to leave as soon as this off season? He may stay for a long time but you shouldn't be surprised if he doesn't.
Yes, at the least, you should be a little surprised- it is not expected. Personally, I would be very surprised.

cycfan

Nov 8, 2006

Sorry, I don't agree with this at all. A title opens up recruiting even more and there is still plenty to accomplish - Like building a Duke, UNC, Syracuse type dynasty. Why would he want to leave a national championship caliber team he built to go to an NBA dumpster fire that just fired their coach?

GO CYCLONES!!!

Spam

May 21, 2008

I heard that the players went to JP and threatened to transfer if Fred wasn't removed right away. He's gone, folks.

CyTom

Mar 30, 2006
Des Moines

If the NBA didn't work out, ISU would always be happy to have him back I'm sure. Another move similar to the Bobby Douglas outing for Cael.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Would anyone really be even a little surprised if he decided to leave as soon as this off season? He may stay for a long time but you shouldn't be surprised if he doesn't.

I would be stunned if he left after this year.

cycfan

Nov 8, 2006

If the NBA didn't work out, ISU would always be happy to have him back I'm sure. Another move similar to the Bobby Douglas outing for Cael.

We would have to replace him though. What if the replacement was successful, do we just fire the replacement?

GO CYCLONES!!!

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

I'm sure the AD would remain open to Fred returning some day, but let's be honest, it wouldn't ever be the same.

SammyWild

Mar 3, 2014

Not me. Not one bit.

Are you close with the Hoibergs? You must be, so please give us the dish.

Because, now that he's gotten a taste of what is possible here, it would make perfect sense to go coach the t wolves without Kevin Love. Love has already told people he wants out, and Rubio isn't anyone to build around.

I would never claim that he'll stay forever. But this isn't a mercenary coach looking for his next opportunity. This is the only coaching job he ever wanted.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX

Remember back in Feb when Greenberg predicted Iowa to the Final 4 ?#?@?? seriously

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006

Good grief. I think it is more likely than not that he is here next year. But not every less likely alternative would surprise me.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron