Scouting the Ohio State matchup

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
Was he wrong?
Ahhh, I would argue that Prohm does not get his due as being a great offensive coach. His offensive style is not heavy-handed, but has been consistently quite proficient at both Murray St. and ISU. Sometimes it is better to allow players to play rather than dictate every single possession to them. He puts his players in a position to succeed.

Also, Prohm's teams seem to really identify and recruit talent that fit the system. People often cite the talent that has been assembled, but ISU's highest recruiting class was only the 4th best in the B12 this year. Sure, there may have been some misses over the years, but there have been some players that plugged in the ISU system and flourished. Methinks that is not a coincidence.

Lastly, while each season hasn't been rainbows and unicorns, Prohm-guided teams have coalesced towards the end of the year when it matters (2016, 2017, 2019). There seems to be a great amount of mutual respect between Prohm and players in the "players' coach" and "player led" program.

No coach is perfect. Prohm is not perfect and I have my criticisms too. But the lack of perspective and pessimism during down times is frustrating....as is the about-face analysis "They suck Iowa state doesn't" when trying to engage in some thoughtful discussion.

Motivator ✅
Building Chemistry ✅
Xs and Os ✅

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Ahhh, I would argue that Prohm does not get his due as being a great offensive coach. His offensive style is not heavy-handed, but has been consistently quite proficient at both Murray St. and ISU. Sometimes it is better to allow players to play rather than dictate every single possession to them. He puts his players in a position to succeed.

Also, Prohm's teams seem to really identify and recruit talent that fit the system. People often cite the talent that has been assembled, but ISU's highest recruiting class was only the 4th best in the B12 this year. Sure, there may have been some misses over the years, but there have been some players that plugged in the ISU system and flourished. Methinks that is not a coincidence.

Lastly, while each season hasn't been rainbows and unicorns, Prohm-guided teams have coalesced towards the end of the year when it matters (2016, 2017, 2019). There seems to be a great amount of mutual respect between Prohm and players in the "players' coach" and "player led" program.

No coach is perfect. Prohm is not perfect and I have my criticisms too. But the lack of perspective and pessimism during down times is frustrating....as is the about-face analysis "They suck Iowa state doesn't" when trying to engage in some thoughtful discussion.

Motivator ✅
Building Chemistry ✅
Xs and Os ✅
The guy said Prohm was a decent coach. That’s not really having lack of perspective while in the midst of losing 5 of 6 and going 9-9 with one of the better rosters in the conference.

Last edited:

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
The guy said Prohm was a decent coach. That’s not really having lack of perspective while in the midst of losing 9-9 with one of the better rosters in the conference.
I am not interested in reparsing the season or Prohm. I would like to keep the thread on the matchup with Ohio State.

My original response, was a reaction to the post that "OSU sucks and ISU does not" (paraphrasing)....which is akin to the banal discussion that occurred when ISU was struggling. I am not interested in conjecture, give me evidence.

Okay, enough talking about talking.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Well Jess Settles thinks Ohio State is fantastic.

• Funny
Reactions: LindenCy

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
Expect it to be much tougher than most on here seem to think.
In the NCAA tourney any game is tough. FWIW, Ohio State's best road/neutral wins are Nebraska and a Nov. 7 game at Cincinnati. Best home wins are Iowa and Penn State. Iowa State would easily be their best win of the year.

Last edited:

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
In the NCAA tourney any game is tough. FWIW, Ohio State's best road/neutral wins are Nebraska and a Nov. 7 game at Cincinnati. Best home wins are Iowa and Penn State. Iowa State would easily by there best win of the year.

Just need to make them run and make some outside shots. Get their big guy in foul trouble and they will not be able to run their pick game.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
found this on reddit

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rw8l2d6mv1sbe49/2019 NCAA Tournament Binder - Reddit.pdf?dl=0

page 99 for ISU and page 101 for Ohio St.

Ohio St. does a lot of post up plays. 272nd in possessions per game. 200th in O-Rebounding (similar to ISU). 27th in defensive efficiency.

Main players:
Kaleb Wesson: Post Up or Pick and Roll, crashes the glass
CJ Jackson: Spot up shooter, transition, Pick and Roll ball handler
Andre Wesson: Spot Up, Post Up, or cutter
Luther Muhammad: Spot Up, Transition, Pick and roll ball handler

• Useful
Reactions: cyclonekj

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
You don't need your "A" game offense to beat OSU, but you need to bring intensity/physical play on the D end. OSU believes they can score buckets on ISU's soft D and will be the more physical team.

Help Support Us

Become a patron