Scouting the Ohio State matchup

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
Overall, I think Ohio State is a favorable matchup for ISU.

Defensively, I expect ISU to switch screens 1-4 against tOSU's heavy ball-screen continuity offense. tOSU is patient on offense and is constantly setting ball screens to "muddy" up the floor & confuse opposing defenders. tOSU is not a dangerous 3 pt shooting team, but it does have the personnel to get the job done (often times 1-5 too). They do not have a strong back court and natural playmakers so I could see ISU really benefiting from playing occasional zone to mix it up between possessions, after timeouts, or S/BOBs. This might be a good game to run some 3/4 court defense to speed up the game too. tOSU guards are quite turnover prone which should lead to some easy ISU offense. Run, run, run.

No surprise, but on offense ISU will need to get out in transition off misses, makes, and turnovers. If you want to make Kaleb Wesson obsolete make him run with Jacobson, Lard, and Conditt. tOSU is pretty solid at limiting easy 2s, but they do allow above average 3 pt attempts. I expect that good looks at 3 will be available for ISU, but I think the key will be for ISU to put pressure on defense with aggressive drives and post ups. Passing out of the post to the perimeter from Jacobson, Lard, and THT will be important. While ISU is not a great at this, it will benefit greatly by drawing fouls too (I am looking at you Wigginton, Shayok, and THT). Ultimately, ISU will need to prioritize easy 2s and everything else should follow favorably.

The keys I see are:

1) Run, dictate tempo. I expect Holtmann et. al will want to make this game a grinder.
2) ISU guards need really put pressure on tOSU's guards to create turnovers and making post entry passes difficult.
3) Put pressure on tOSU post defenders through aggressive drive and kicks to stretch the defense.
4) Switch defensive looks periodically to create confusion.
5) Like every other game, the ball cannot stick- it really needs to move around and players need to keep moving too.
6) This will be a good test for Jacobson, Lard, and Conditt. How they defend tOSU's post players and rebound will be critical (surprise, surprise)

p.s. The x-factors are Andre Wesson, Kyle Young, and Justin Ahrens. They all have lower usage, but they are all sneaky good players in their own right.

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
I wonder about the size of their 1-3 or even 1-4? I know Wesson is a big boy, but I wonder if we have the length (wingspan/height) advantage in our guards to get them frustrated and contested.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I wonder about the size of their 1-3 or even 1-4? I know Wesson is a big boy, but I wonder if we have the length (wingspan/height) advantage in our guards to get them frustrated and contested.

On the ball pressure is a vastly underrated key in defending a really good post player. Make it hard for them to get the ball inside in good position.

I think the other factor will just be in running the floor. If our bigs beat Wesson down the floor (and they should), we could very well have a 5 on 4, with a mismatch at the 5. Doing that consistently could make them stay off the offensive boards too as they try to drop back and defend.

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
They suck Iowa state doesn't. That is my scouting report.
Thanks for your insightful contribution.
Halin.JPG

halin-jpg.63148

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
IMO, this is a very good match-up for ISU. Our style of play is really pretty hard on teams that like to post a traditional big man in the paint. From what little I know, he sort of stays under the hoop, so forcing him to chase around Jacobson will be ideal. That's especially true if Jacobson is hitting shots from 15-22 feet out.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I thought the Cyclones did a pretty good job of forcing tempo, particularly against K-Boo. And this will be a key Friday night, our offense is much better when we force the issue. Although Wiggs has shown he can be a force taking it to the rim. (He just needs to make his damn free throws!)

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

iamacyfan

Mar 11, 2019
Iowa
I had read that Wesson can easily get in foul troubles. Would it be wrong to have THT or Wigginton drive in and try to get him to foul?

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Expect it to be much tougher than most on here seem to think.

It could possibly. Personally, OSU looks like KSU-lite. Similar style and attitude, but not as talented. Despite ISU winning 2 of 3 against KSU, this type of game is hard for this year's team. That said, if ISU is on from 3, then it becomes much much easier.

• Agree
Reactions: EarthIsMan

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
If they are seeded #11, they are a top 50 team. They'll be good, but hopefully we will too. CSP will have five days to get a good game plan together, and the guys just have to execute it. We've been through the wringer, playing ranked teams most of the season. I'm hoping that shows.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron