Rotations with Jaz Back

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
No, he was not . He was a strong inside player without any post moves. He was the best big man we had and played solid minutes,but this doesn’t mean he was several levels above Jones. Jones could have started on 2004-2005 team with Blalock and Stinson. Point I am trying to make is some people are too harsh on Jones. Everyone misses bunnies including beloved Homan.
But, but, Jones never “came off the bench like someone stole his cow!”

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
I forget what game it was but Homan got roughed up and took off like a rocket breathing fire. He was from a farm in NW Iowa and Eustacy said in the post game “it was like somebody stole his cow!” One of the all time quotes from an ISU coach. Homan could get fired up and Eustacy knew how to pull his trigger. Also had a big named Froman at the time who went on and played pro several years. Great era under Eustacy with back to back conference champs.
Colorado

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I don't mind Robert getting his touches each game. He earned it, and we are so much more decisive on offense than we were. Our possessions are miles ahead of where they were last year.

Williowa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2016
I'll be suprised if we even notice Jaz taking anyone's minutes. He'll probably just fit in with adding depth and the extra hands just take the pressure off everyone.

Little here, little there. People being able to catch a breath and stay a little fresher. Should just work.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
I can't believe somebody thinks Jared Homan was worse offensively than Jones. Wut?
Did you know that Homan shot 43% his senior year and 44% for his career at ISU. Tough rebounder, good shot blocker, and good defensive player but his offense skills were limited. His last game was a monster game against North Carolina, 19 points and 20 rebounder, so most people only remember this game. Did you know that Sam Hill scored 21 points in sweet 16 game against North Carolina State in 1986? Is Sam Hill a good offensive player? Jones has pretty decent post moves that Homan or Hill didn’t have. Why is it so hard for some people to acknowledge that Jones has decent offensive skills? He has shot around 50% at ISU and over 50% in his college career.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Did you know that Homan shot 43% his senior year and 44% for his career at ISU. Tough rebounder, good shot blocker, and good defensive player but his offense skills were limited. His last game was a monster game against North Carolina, 19 points and 20 rebounder, so most people only remember this game. Did you know that Sam Hill scored 21 points in sweet 16 game against North Carolina State in 1986? Is Sam Hill a good offensive player? Jones has pretty decent post moves that Homan or Hill didn’t have. Why is it so hard for some people to acknowledge that Jones has decent offensive skills? He has shot around 50% at ISU and over 50% in his college career.

Recency bias and bias towards shoon playing over jones. I think since the start of big 12, jones is down around 35% fg and he’s 1 for 10 from the field in the last two games with turnovers, fouls and defensive blunders (in the end of the Texas game, he came in just under 4 left and didn’t know where to be at on the defensive end leaving a guy in guarded under the basket. TJ saw it and took him out at the next dead ball). He’s serviceable in short spurts but we have a luxury of playing shoon who’s much better offensively and defensively than Jones, and also jaz when he’s back who’s is also better offensively and I’d argue defensively is just as good if not better. No one was arguing gonna vs jones until you brought it up that I’m aware of.

• Agree
Reactions: CYEATHAWK

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

Because I've watched both play (as an adult). Homan was a better offensive player. Nothing against Jones though. He's probably my favorite player on this year's team.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
Because I've watched both play (as an adult). Homan was a better offensive player. Nothing against Jones though. He's probably my favorite player on this year's team.
I have seen both play as well (I was in my late 30’s in Homan‘s senior year). Homan had no post moves. He averaged 13.6 points/game in his senior year but he attempted 12 shots per game and his FG percentage was only 43%. He is a better player than Jones because of his defense and rebounding. He missed more bunnies than Jones and his FG percentage supports what I had seen. Please don’t tell me that he had to carry the load or take difficult shots like Jaren Homes is doing for this year’s team. Stinson and Blalock carried the load and took most of difficult shots.

Last edited:

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I have seen both play as well (I was in my late 30’s in Homan‘s senior year). Homan had no post moves. He averaged 13.6 points/game in his senior year but he attempted 12 shots per game and his FG percentage was only 43%. He is a better player than Jones because of his defense and rebounding. He missed more bunnies than Jones and his FG percentage supports what I had seen. Please don’t tell me that he had to carry the load or take difficult shots like Jaren Homes is doing for this year’s team. Stinson and Blalock carried the load and took most of difficult shots.

What does Holmes have to do with any of this?