Ross Larson

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
This is the first ive seen video of him wrestling but curious if he has other skills except throwing. Is good on his feet or good from the top position? Im not taking anything away from just know that if he were to wrestle at the college level he wont be able to throw as much, they are to good for that.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
This is posted by cywr89 and seems to be close to ISU program

Yes, Ross Larson can throw because he is so powerful but 90% of his takedowns are outside singles, power doubles. ankle picks and shrugs. He has it all on his feet. He gets his pins because the cross-face cradle and armbar series. He has spent a total of less than a minute on the bottom this season so that will be an area of concern. Also, he will have to learn how to wrestle on top when he can't get the pin like Varner and Reader. Both of them were pinning machines in HS, also.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Yeah, I would consider him as high risk of flaming out once he can't just physically overpower guys. Nobody has any idea how good he is at getting out from bottom, or riding, etc... Not competing in summer tournaments makes him a big question mark.

Not saying in any way that I wouldn't like to see him at ISU. Just that right now we have no way to guess if he'd be a four time AA or if he would never crack the lineup.

cloneraslin

Apr 11, 2006
This kid is going to be great in college when he can focus 100% on wrestling. He'd be a huge get. Hopefully Tanner Weatherman and Dakota Bauer are in his ear.

keeponkeepinon

Feb 21, 2012
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yW7yCDfnwE]Ross Larson #1 (Ankeny) vs Nick Jepsen #8 (Urbandale) - Iowa H.S. Wrestling 195lb 1/26/12 - YouTube[/ame]

That ankle pick looks familar.
Now where have I seen that before?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I have to disagree, Judoka. We need a 197 pounder and what a great place to get one in Ankeny, Iowa. I agree he needs to be polished; that's what Reader and Zabriskie are for. We know he's good on his feet.
With Kyven the only true 197 pounder on the team, bringing in Jesse Doyle and Ross Larson will strengthen that weight in the future. I hope Cole can bulk up and become a 197 pounder, just not sure if he can.

cloneraslin

Apr 11, 2006
Jesse Doyle looks like 184 to me. He hasn't grown since a freshman. Been at the same weight all through high school. He is already very stocky and not that tall. Wrestling at 189 as a freshman and still at 182 as a senior.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I have to disagree, Judoka. We need a 197 pounder and what a great place to get one in Ankeny, Iowa. I agree he needs to be polished; that's what Reader and Zabriskie are for. We know he's good on his feet.
With Kyven the only true 197 pounder on the team, bringing in Jesse Doyle and Ross Larson will strengthen that weight in the future. I hope Cole can bulk up and become a 197 pounder, just not sure if he can.

I am not disagreeing that we should be trying to get him. I just don't think it's possible to justify much scholarship money right away for a kid who has so many unknowns. So if somebody else is willing to take on that risk and offer him big bucks I don't think it would be smart for us to try to match that. I'm interested in seeing his potential and I'd love to see him do that in a Cyclone singlet. But I'm not going to think he's the second coming of Cael Sanderson, or even assume he's better than other guys already on the roster, until we see him against guys that he can't just totally dominate physically. Has he even wrestled a single guy who is a nationally ranked recruit?

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Larson made everybody look awful, including the #2 ranked 195 pounder. That's what's so intriguing about him, he just so totally destroyed anybody he wrestled. I don't think we would get by just offering him a partial scholarship. But then based on his own comments, we can't be sure he isn't still thinking about football or baseball.

ontheverge

Sep 14, 2009
I think he may be visiting ISU this weekend and it sounds like he is going to pursue a wrestling career.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I don't think we would get by just offering him a partial scholarship.

That's my thought as well. If we can get him to walk on with the promise of hefty scholarship money when/if he proves himself while redshirting, I'm all for it. But I think somebody will take the risk on giving him big bucks right now. We already have one Joey Cozart on the team. We can't afford the chance of another.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Larson made everybody look awful, including the #2 ranked 195 pounder. That's what's so intriguing about him, he just so totally destroyed anybody he wrestled. I don't think we would get by just offering him a partial scholarship. But then based on his own comments, we can't be sure he isn't still thinking about football or baseball.

Are you suggesting he is full scholarship worthy? I'd love to see the kid in the ISU room, but I don't think you'll find many that agree with that sentiment. Full rides are generally reserved for the elite of the elite in wrestling. We're probably using close to a full ride on Meeks (total speculation on my part), but aside from him, we don't have anybody else quite in that league in this recruiting class. As much potential as Larson has, he needs a lot of polish before he's ready to step on the mat. This isn't a knock on him, or any of the other kids we already have committed. I'm excited about all of them and appreciate them choosing the Cyclones, but it's just the way things are in the 9.9 scholarship era.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
More important question.... Have we offered this kid yet?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVCegcfWXp8]Kid Goes Beast Mode During Wrestling Match - YouTube[/ame]

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Since he is at a need weight (197 only Gadsen and Doyle coming in), I think we offer him a partial. What that is, I don't know. I don't know if we have scholarship $$$$ left. What the status of Tyler Caldwell, I don't know. If he was at 133/141, I would try to get him to walkon, but a need weight, I'd try and get him.