Robert Jones commits to ISU

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
If the goal here is for a practice squad player, I guess this fits but TJ will have to prove there is something here the rest of us are missing.
What do you know about Robert Jones other than a stat line?

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
FWIW Kunc and Jones could be a good thing in that at least it's a change of direction/culture. Right now we are a dead last place team that lost all of our program momentum over the last four years with combo guards who can't shoot, most of whom committed here in part because they wouldnt be held accountable on the court. (harsh, I know)

We got dominated on the boards, never got to the line, never put anyone on their butt, never made an example of anyone.

Remember Hogue drop kicking a guy? Remember Ejim flipping off the BYU crowd? Remember Niang talking and letting everyone in the building know how good he was every chance he got? Remember Edozie head hunting for the 2 possessions he was in?

Bottom line is to claw our way out of the basement skill and talent is important, no doubt. But I think effort, energy, determination and grit is a great place to start, and I like what I'm hearing from our additions so far in that regard.

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
People think they know how to recruit better than the the guy who brought in an entire team of cyclone legends.
I mean I think taking this guy looks like a reach and I’m not too thrilled about it, but I don’t know if what I said was laughable? Saying hopefully this move works out in the end and that we can bring in a guy or two that actually excites the fan base is a bad thing I guess?

Idk, I think people are absolutely ridiculous. I’ve only been on here for 3 years so I haven’t been here for a football or a basketball coaching hire. It’s been an experience to say the least.

• Haha
Reactions: t-noah and Expert

DhaCheann

Mar 31, 2012
Denver, CO
While both Jaz and Bob Jones’ numbers aren’t gaudy and Jones is coming from a program with a trash record, I trust TJ’s ability to consistently evaluate talent much more than I trusted Prohm’s home run or strike out ability to evaluate talent.

Plus, like others have said, we consistently get out rebounded, have looked lost on defense, and don’t really have an identity. I’ll be curious to see what kind of identity TJ forms for our teams. I’ve got to believe, if anything, he’ll bring gritty guys to Ames.

lastly, you can’t teach size. I’ll gladly take 2 dudes over 6’7”

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
And Floyd brought in Cato, Pratt, Bankhead, and Willoughby first year after Orr.

We demand nothing less!

You realize this would be the equivalent of T.J. getting those players for the 2022-23 season. Tim had a fairly ready made roster his first year.

Reactions: Halincandenza

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'm guessing the "chess move" part. It certainly caught my attention.
Got it, how about strategy or plan? Didn’t know a buzz word / phrase would cause an uproar.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I also wonder if the new asst. coach from Colorado State was a factor in recruiting this guy. I could be completely wrong about that. I'm really only basing that idea on the fact he played at Denver.

It would make sense that he was at least aware of him.

You see young guys on opposing teams all the time and just sense that they're going to be good as they gain experience, even if the stats don't really pop off the page.

I'm sure coaches are much better at seeing that potential than we are.

Reactions: A_storm_is_comin

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
What do you know about Robert Jones other than a stat line?
I don't think anybody knows anything about him outside of a stat line. There could be some potential there, but I think it's fair to be alarmed about a guy with that modest productivity in the Summit League. Particularly a 6'10 guy in a mid-major, where there simply aren't very many big athletic guys.

When you consider that Jeff Beverly was a much more productive player at UTSA, playing in a better conference on a much better team, I think it's reasonable to question why they would jump so quickly on this kid given the portal being what it is.

But I haven't watched a second of the kid play, and TJ has been good at evaluating guys that might be underrated.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
I don't think anybody knows anything about him outside of a stat line. There could be some potential there, but I think it's fair to be alarmed about a guy with that modest productivity in the Summit League. Particularly a 6'10 guy in a mid-major, where there simply aren't very many big athletic guys.

When you consider that Jeff Beverly was a much more productive player at UTSA, playing in a better conference on a much better team, I think it's reasonable to question why they would jump so quickly on this kid given the portal being what it is.

But I haven't watched a second of the kid play, and TJ has been good at evaluating guys that might be underrated.
It's not fair to "be alarmed" about anyone that gets brought in. They will prove their worth(or not) when they hit the floor. There's a big difference between Robert Jones and Jeff Beverly. The guys who brought them here.

• Optimistic
Reactions: isu83

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron