Robert Jones commits to ISU

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I'll trust TJ too but part of the question in my mind for both him and the kid from WSU is why take them this early? It seems like dozens of names hit the transfer portal every day. Just seems like you'd want to know real well what's out there before you start taking commitments from guys who, at least on paper, don't necessarily jump out at you.
Can you imagine if Prohm signed these two? Yikes.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Someone’s gotta talk me into liking this commitment.
He's a very hard worker who is going to push Foster and Conditt to the max. This guy might not play significant minutes for us, but if he can help out Foster and Conditt, that's a plus. We haven't had a great practice guy that helps the big men in a long time and it might be this guy.

He also is friends with a guy that's rumored to be transferring from Marquette. This could help lure that guy from Marquette to Ames..

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Garcia would make 5 bigs right? You have to assume they all expect to play. Seems odd we'd take anyone after this kid.
No really. Foster, Conditt, Kunc and Jones leaves us thin upfront if they are going to be manning the 4 and 5 most of the game.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Weird offer list out of high school. A handful of mid majors and then Penn State and Xavier. No offer from Minnesota.

• Informative
Reactions: RezClone

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
Unfortunately I'm not smart enough to figure out either one of them.
1) He's a lot better than the message board crowd gives him credit for being and TJ is projecting him to be that.
2) TJ is desperate.

So answer your own question. Why take him this early?

Kaner04

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2019
Ok thank you guys for making it a little better. I’ll trust TJ and the new staffs eyes

Reactions: Statefan10

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Garcia would make 5 bigs right? You have to assume they all expect to play. Seems odd we'd take anyone after this kid.
I don't think they'd all have to play. We typically have 8-10 guards and only 4-5 of them play. I wouldn't mind having 5 bigs on the team at one time. I'd rather have that than the 2-3 Prohm usually had and praying they all stay healthy the entire season and stay out of foul trouble.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I'll trust TJ too but part of the question in my mind for both him and the kid from WSU is why take them this early? It seems like dozens of names hit the transfer portal every day. Just seems like you'd want to know real well what's out there before you start taking commitments from guys who, at least on paper, don't necessarily jump out at you.

That's fair.
They both seem like upgrades, but there are 90 billion guys entering the portal. Doesn't hurt to see who's out there.
But again, they both seem like upgrades, and that's only a good thing.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I don't think they'd all have to play. We typically have 8-10 guards and only 4-5 of them play. I wouldn't mind having 5 bigs on the team at one time. I'd rather have that than the 2-3 Prohm usually had and praying they all stay healthy the entire season and stay out of foul trouble.
IF Garcia ends up in a Cyclone uniform, Conditt would be the backup 5 and this guy would maybe be used in special situations like foul trouble, needing to foul, etc.

nickcyv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2009
He's a very hard worker who is going to push Foster and Conditt to the max. This guy might not play significant minutes for us, but if he can help out Foster and Conditt, that's a plus. We haven't had a great practice guy that helps the big men in a long time and it might be this guy.

He also is friends with a guy that's rumored to be transferring from Marquette. This could help lure that guy from Marquette to Ames..

I'm not doubting you but how do we know anything about his work ethic?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron