Remaining B12 Schedule Difficulty--

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
A lot of the analytic sites have us as favorites in all of our remaining games. All of the other Big 12 contenders are underdogs in at least 1-4 games.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Reminder: KenPom currently has ISU winning the league outright at 12-6. ISU probably doesn’t need to win 14 conference games, or even 13. Definitely don’t need to win out. I wouldn’t mind it, don’t get me wrong, but let’s not set unreasonable expectations then freak out when we don’t meet them.

MINNEAPOLIS, HERE WE COME!

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
It's an interesting race.

Kansas has the easiest remaining schedule, but they are 1.5 games back, have the pressure of the streak on them, and are young.

Iowa State has the 2nd most favorable schedule and are only a half a game back, but we are relying on a young team to handle the pressure.

K. State has the senior leadership and already knocked the 2nd place team off on the road, but the most difficult schedule.

Baylor has a tough schedule and I think will fall off pace rapidly for the title, but will play the biggest spoiler role by knocking off another contender.

Tech will be in it until the end. I could see them winning 6 of 7 and coming into Hilton at 12-5 for the final game. The toughest road test until @ISU is @OU this weekend. The rest of their big games are at home.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Kansas isn't just losing on the road, they are getting handled. I can see KU dropping 2 more games beween @TCU, @Tech, and @OU. I wouldn't be shocked to see K-State or Baylor win in Lawrence either. This Kansas team has a lot of flaws and I don't think Self has the right pieces. They played zone defense the other night which just wreaked of desperation.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
KSU winning was big.

I think it comes down to which of the KSU/KU/ISU trio has the most “surprise” upset losses in the next month. KU has an anomalous loss already. At one time it looked like ISU had one at Baylor, but that’ll depend on how KU and KSU do in Waco against a Clark-less Baylor (horrible luck). The KSU loss at home may be considered one.

KU rolled Baylor in Waco, first game without Clark.

• Agree
Reactions: NoCreativity

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I think KU still has two road loses in them tech and either OU or TCU. They have been bad on the road. You can see they don't have the confidence and they are getting gassed out there in games. They don't have their bye until after they play tech again.

This is a point, "they are getting gassed," that struck me during Tuesday's game. Lawson essentially took a knee - like a faux football injury - to slow down the game. Yes, he was gassed. And Ku is nothing without him.

The season is such a grind on these youngsters. And we're only midway.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Kansas isn't just losing on the road, they are getting handled. I can see KU dropping 2 more games beween @TCU, @Tech, and @OU. I wouldn't be shocked to see K-State or Baylor win in Lawrence either. This Kansas team has a lot of flaws and I don't think Self has the right pieces. They played zone defense the other night which just wreaked of desperation.

Agreed, this isn't the same Kansas team, losing to WV and run off the court at ISU and have been pushed multiple times at the Phog. To their credit they have saved home court but playing with fire.

The streak could benefit ISU at this point. As you mentioned their team is young and all the media/fans are pressuring them to get the reg championship and their margin for error is very thin behind 2 games. In addition every B12 team is tired of the "14 straight" talk and giving them their best shot. Plus, I am sure P:rohm will use it to keep the guys focused on their upcoming games. N

Kansas can recover and make a run, so no reason to relax, especially with KSU improving. ISU has a very good opportunity to grab the title this year. First things first TCU Saturday should be all that matters right now.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
That’s right, although Baylor did have the ball down only 4 with 20 seconds left.

That game was never in doubt, the only game they lead by a more average margin was the Texas Tech blowout at home. KU isnt losing to Baylor in Lawrence, the only team that has a shot is K-State.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
A lot of the analytic sites have us as favorites in all of our remaining games. All of the other Big 12 contenders are underdogs in at least 1-4 games.

We are a push @ KSU and slightly behind @ UT according to Barttovik...

upload_2019-2-7_10-57-25.png

There is a column to the right, "REMAIN," for the difficulties of schedules remaining...

upload_2019-2-7_10-58-9.png

Nice of Baylor to drop one to Texas.

Just watching the rest of the conference beat up on each other while we keep winning would be really nice right now. It could definitely keep happening, too.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
and have been pushed multiple times at the Phog. To their credit they have saved home court but playing with fire.

They haven't been pushed unless you are expecting them to win every home game by 15. In every home game they have had at least an "average lead/deficeit" of at least +4, with the exception of the Iowa State game. Thats about on par for what Iowa State has done at home.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Order of importance for us if we want to win the title:

1. Win at K State
2. Beat both Baylor and TT at home
3. Win 2 of the 3 road games at TCU Texas and WV

I think we can still win if 1 of these doesn’t go our way, but we probably won’t if 2 of these don’t drop for us.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Order of importance for us if we want to win the title:

1. Win at K State
2. Beat both Baylor and TT at home
3. Win 2 of the 3 road games at TCU Texas and WV

I think we can still win if 1 of these doesn’t go our way, but we probably won’t if 2 of these don’t drop for us.

I would think this would basically be a lock.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
They haven't been pushed unless you are expecting them to win every home game by 15. In every home game they have had at least an "average lead/deficeit" of at least +4, with the exception of the Iowa State game. Thats about on par for what Iowa State has done at home.
Having an opponent shoot a would-be game winning shot as time expired is being pushed.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Beat Stanford in OT. won 90-84
Beat New Mexico State at the KC shoot out (pseudo home game) 63-60
Beat Villanova 74-71
Beat Oklahoma 70-63 (6 pt game with a minute left, outside your 4 pt criteria but tough game)
Beat Texas 80-78
as you mentioned ISU game 80-76

I'd consider them pushed in all those games... TT last Saturday was a reminder that KU can dominate at the Phog but I still think that was more of outlier for this season to this point. To be transparent the have also beat TCU (77-68), Wofford, EMU and South Dakota at home by 10+.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: FinalFourCy

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Beat Stanford in OT. won 90-84
Beat New Mexico State at the KC shoot out (pseudo home game) 63-60
Beat Villanova 74-71
Beat Oklahoma 70-63 (6 pt game with a minute left, outside your 4 pt criteria but tough game)
Beat Texas 80-78
as you mentioned ISU game 80-76

I'd consider them pushed in all those games... TT last Saturday was a reminder that KU can dominate at the Phog but I still think that was more of outlier for this season to this point. To be transparent the have also beat TCU (77-68), Wofford, EMU and South Dakota at home by 10+.

I mean if you look at it that way you're right. To me winning close games against good teams like that, being ahead most of the game, and then pulling it out in the end is par for the course in the Big 12 and against non-conf teams like Villanova.

Good teams find a way to pull those out in the end, exactly like our Texas and Okie St games at home.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Reminder: KenPom currently has ISU winning the league outright at 12-6. ISU probably doesn’t need to win 14 conference games, or even 13. Definitely don’t need to win out. I wouldn’t mind it, don’t get me wrong, but let’s not set unreasonable expectations then freak out when we don’t meet them.

MINNEAPOLIS, HERE WE COME!
I'll be shocked if 12 wins is enough for the outright win.

shjiang

Nov 23, 2018
One thing to mention is KU lose KSU game without Marcus Garrett. One of better insider scorer for the team not named Lawson. If he keep missing game bar injury, I could see KU lost multiple road games. But they are solid team with Garrett in the game, KJ Lawson is just terrible replacement for Garrett...

I think 13-5 or 12-6 are both likely for us. 14-4 with road win in KSU is less likely.

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
I tend to think some of Baylor's position right now is due to the favorable first half of their schedule. They've already played Iowa State, Kansas, Texas Tech and TCU at home, while getting K State at home on Saturday. The second half of their schedule is BRUTAL, with all those teams on the road except TCU. I will give them credit for destroying OU in Norman, that was impressive.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
One interesting thing....almost all of the teams have been blown out at least once. Oklahoma State, West Virginia, Kansas, Baylor, Kansas State, tech, Oklahoma, TCU. Only us and Texas haven’t.

• Winner
Reactions: LLCoolCY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron